Teach me about Victoria Park

2,738 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggiePhil
soso33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What happened to it? I visited it back in the early nineties and they still had those concrete tracks and some of the sliding appariti at that time. I'll never forget building up too much speed and leaving the track and ending up on my back and laughing and laughing.
The weird thing is I have no idea where it was located or when the CoCS sold it.
Can anyone here fill in the gaps? Thanks
AggiePhil
AG
Where was this place located?
soso33
I did not grow up here, so it was my first time in town and a friend had done the driving. So I really have no clue. I want to say it was about 10-15 minutes away from the campus in College Station. My memory associates it with a quonset hut that was nearby.
Oogway
There is a Victoria Park in Navasota, but I believe any equipment there is newer than what you describe.
AggiePhil
AG
Concrete tracks? Sliding apparati? Please elaborate.
BrandoC
AG
tsip
AggiePhil
AG
Hensel Park has quonset huts nearby but IDK about any concrete slides or tracks.
soso33
The concrete tracks were a little concave and about 4 -5 feet wide. They wound down a gentle slope, but enough to get some speed going. The slider seats were red IIRC and rickety casters underneath. The park was in disrepair at that time (bum wheels and sections of concrete with significant cracks that would mess you up), and I'm guessing it closed soon after. It looked like it may have been as old as the 1960s, but that's just a guess.
Post removed:
by user
Prune Tracy
Sounds more like something that would have been at Pooh's Park than a city park...
AggiePhil
AG
Yeah, could it have been the old waterslides at Pooh's Park? Maybe dried up and abandoned? IDK...

soso33
Wow, those look fun. The concrete tracks were laid on the ground at Victoria Park. A guy I worked with 10 years ago remembered the place but said he thought after the city closed it, they built some industrial use facility on it. He said that scout troops liked to go out there and test their pinewood derby cars. haha!
AggiePhil
AG
Just curious, what makes you think it was called Victoria Park? The only thing "Victoria" in College Station is Victoria Avenue which, in the 90s, was very short (I believe it only ran between Rock Prairie and Graham). There is Jack & Dorothy Miller Park at Rock Prairie and Victoria (built in 1988) next to the school but it sounds like you're talking about something much older.
soso33
Yeah, I guess it's possible that it was only known by that name for a short while. Sort of like how Brison Park across from campus had a different name at one time.
AggiePhil
AG
Well, Jack & Dorothy Miller Park used to be Westchester Park.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.