Home Warranties (Best & Worst)?

2,878 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
rajag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are purchasing a new home, does anyone have any suggestions on the best home warranty to purchase? Also can you let me know which ones we should avoid. Lastly what coverage level should we get, and does anyone suggest adding external water line coverage?

So far we have looked at the following.
- Old Republic
- Home Warranty of America
- Choice Home

Thanks
JP76
Honest truth is they all suck

Sure they will replace your leaking water heater for $100 deductible, but only after you pay their shady contractor another $900 to bring it up to code.

If I had to choose the lesser of evils then
Old republic

AggiePlaya
AG
Crapshoot
CS78
Save the money and the headache.
Rex Racer
AG
Save the money that you would have paid for a home warranty, and when something breaks, you can fix/replace it.
rajag02
AG
Unfortunately the lender is requiring one at closing.
fourth deck
AG
rajag02 said:

What the what?! There are lenders that require it? If so that is bush league
Stupe
S
The lender is requiring that????
CS78
rajag02 said:

Never heard of that. Who is lender? Loan type?
OnlyANobody
This is the third home that we've owned and no lender has required one. (Full disclosure - we bought two of the homes directly from the builders)

This home came with the first year compliments of the sellers. We renewed one time. When we did try to use it, we ended up jacking with their chosen contractors for so long that we just hired it done ourselves. (One event was no A/C mid-June and after a week and a half of delays, there was an "oops, part ordering error" which would delay repairs at least another week.)

Ours was with Old Republic.
Aggieland Appliance
Trust me on this....Landmark Home Warranty

We will not work for any other home warranty company. They pick the best servicers. Most home warranty companies pick the cheapest and their service will be a factor.
Berkljl
I've never heard of a lender requiring a home service policy. Is it a FHA loan? I've dealt with several of the companies. I've seen them pay when I never thought they would. I've also seen them not pay when I felt they should. It all depends on how the serviceman writes it up.
samsal75
AG
1) Old Republic
2) American Home Shield
SoTheySay
S
I have never heard of a home warranty being required. I highly doubt that. Insurance, yes.
CollegeStationMaid
We hated American Home Shield. Their contractors always came from far away like Austin and Houston. Every single time it cost more than $100 deductible. When we sold the house things the inspector found wrong were things that American Home Shield was supposed to take care of
jenniferjoe
AG
My mom just purchased her house in May, part of the contract was the seller purchase a home warranty for her (it's an older home, lots to be updated eventually). The warranty purchased is from Fidelity. Well lo and behold, 2 weeks ago her AC went out, on a weekend of course. We of course have to use one of their vendors, the process is painful and you must have a lot of patience, however, everyone we have talked to on the phone has been very friendly and helpful. They were actually able to get the vendor out the next day (Sunday, and so far we are happy with them). We are still waiting on Fidelity to order the parts (they are actually going to replace the whole unit, so it's probably taking a little longer than say just some hoses or less major parts).

I truly hate hate hate dealing with any warranty company, and I feel home warranties are not necessarily something you need, but if you have an older home that has some big ticket items getting ready to need repair, it might be a good idea.

Would I recommend Fidelity, sure,...... of course we are not through the whole process yet, my mom's AC is not completely fixed!
firefly1204
Old Republicc
EMY92
AG
It's easier to get a whole system than a part.

Most HVAC companies larger than a 1-3 man operation will have units in stock this time of year because there is no time to order when a unit fails in the Texas summer.

There are too many different parts to have them all in stock.
Bill Robbins
AG
Old Republic
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
rajag02 said:

Cancel after you close........or find another lender, they are on the take.

Had a water heater go out. Went almost a week for boiling bath water and using paper plates.

Plumber was an idiot. I was ready to give up and buy a new water heater (house was 4 years old) when he came back the 4th time and cleaned a filter and it started working.

Warranty company (out of Memphis) had people answering the phone that sounded like they had a 3rd grade education.

When I called to cancel, the switched me to someone who speak and offered me huge discounts to stay. Told her no way and explained why.

Save your money.

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
pepe the dog said:

rajag02 said:

Cancel after you close........or find another lender, they are on the take.

Had a water heater go out. Went almost a week for boiling bath water and using paper plates.

Plumber was an idiot. I was ready to give up and buy a new water heater (house was 4 years old) when he came back the 4th time and cleaned a filter and it started working.

Warranty company (out of Memphis) had people answering the phone that sounded like they had a 3rd grade education.

When I called to cancel, the switched me to someone who speak and offered me huge discounts to stay. Told her no way and explained why.

Save your money.

BTW the warranty company was American Home Shield.

I had a glitch in my A/C last Thursday evening. Had already researched companies and called a company (I live in DFW suburb) at 7:30 am. He had a tech there at 9:00am. Replaced a part and was gone by 10:30. I was so impressed and called the company and asked if they sold warranties. The guys no way, they are rip offs. Just change the filters and call them once a year for a check up.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.