Do parents / schools not teach kids how to ride bikes?

2,844 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by biobioprof
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Driving from from Rock Prairie to Baron today around 9:00 this morning, I saw seven (yes, I counted) different kids riding their bikes in the bike lanes going the wrong direction. I remember learning the rules concerning walking and biking the correct way in elementary school.

These kids weren't in one group riding together, they were individual kids leaving the high school after athletic training.

redd38
AG
I bet they weren't properly signaling their turns either!

It's not cool to follow bike safety rules in high school (or college (or after college))
AgySkeet06
AG
I remember when I was with my buddy during college driving through campus. Nailed some guy on a bike by the MSC who just went across the road. Knocked the guy over and bent his tire bad but luckily didn't get hurt.

I work on campus now and am surprised how many bicyclist think they own the right of way
redd38
AG
I saw two bikers almost collide yesterday because they both ran stop signs at a 4-way stop.
Wildmen03
AG
A long time ago, not sure when it happened, bike riders decided they were above the rules of the road. It has trickled down through more than one generation and we've arrived at a point where they simply don't give a **** what anyone thinks and they are going to do their own thing.

The only real way to improve the situation is mass and unrelenting enforcement of traffic laws for cyclists. But there is simply not enough resources to do that.

The best you can do is teach your kid the right way to do things and hope they don't turn out to be a moron.
AgFan1999
AG
I emailed UPD and they were nice enough to send a few officers out for enforcement. It got to the point where you'd sit at a stop sign as 10-15 bikes went through the stop sign before you could turn.
Stupe
S
Wildmen03 said:

The best you can do is teach your kid the right way to do things and hope they don't turn out to be a moron.
I'm trying do that in general.

I found that using visual aids such as pointing at people and saying "don't do that, it's moronic" is very effective.
agnerd
AG
Traffic laws aren't covered on the STAAR test...
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Cyclists want all the privileges of a moving vehicle and rights of pedestrians. It bothers me when I see kids not riding correctly. No sympathy for college students, though. Write 'em all tickets and let me invest in thermal paper.
InMyOpinion
Wildmen03 said:

A long time ago, not sure when it happened, bike riders decided they were above the rules of the road. It has trickled down through more than one generation and we've arrived at a point where they simply don't give a **** what anyone thinks and they are going to do their own thing.

The only real way to improve the situation is mass and unrelenting enforcement of traffic laws for cyclists. But there is simply not enough resources to do that.

Well said!!
Justin2010
AG
montegobay
As a cyclist and runner, it drives me crazy when people ride bikes on the sidewalk when there is a designated bike lane.

waterchick
I agree with you montegobay. When I was in grad school a few years ago I had several almost head-on collisions with other bike riders going the wrong way in the bike lane on Walton...the one with a GIANT arrow pointing to the the correct direction in which to ride.

Contrast that with the bike cops at UC Davis (many, many moons ago) - they could and did write tickets for riding outside of bike lanes, running stop signs, riding the wrong direction, etc. Bike cops there are about as well loved as PTTS at TAMU (hee hee) but it didn't take me too long to learn the "rules of the road" - yes, even massive traffic circles around town an on campus for bikes.
Cancelled
AG
I've almost hit and been hit by idiots riding their bikes on the sidewalk into an intersection. I let my little one ride on the sidewalk, but once you are over the age of 12 you should be riding in the road in the direction of traffic.
Oogway
I ride defensively. If there is a bicycle lane, I use that and ride with traffic. On streets where there is no bicycle lane, heavy traffic and a 40 mph speed limit then I either ride on the sidewalk if it is the extra-wide multi purpose type or if it is narrow and there are pedestrians then I either dismount or stop and wait for them to pass. I was taught that pedestrians have priority over moving vehicles. Personally I think it is like a lot of things, people may or may not have been taught the rules of the road, but once informed, they may choose to follow them or they may not.
CTGilley
AG
I remember all the fun we had in school watching UPD giving out tickets to cyclist traveling the wrong direction by Blocker.
agfan1030
agnerd said:

Traffic laws aren't covered on the STAAR test...
Post of the Day!

You must be a teacher.
ro828
When I'm on campus it discourages me to see people riding their bikes on the sidewalk.

Don't they know that bikes have WHEELS on them? That should be a big clue right there. Of course, these are the same people who have SAT scores like zip codes but don't know what a turn signal is.
toolshed
AG
Justin2010 said:

He IS old!!
biobioprof
ro828 said:

When I'm on campus it discourages me to see people riding their bikes on the sidewalk.

Don't they know that bikes have WHEELS on them? That should be a big clue right there. Of course, these are the same people who have SAT scores like zip codes but don't know what a turn signal is.
The placement of bike racks sends a different message, though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.