Indoor Playland

1,375 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BlazeHarper
Aggie112boo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any other mom's or dad's feel the need for some type of indoor playland for kids? We have checked out all indoor options around town this summer, and nothing really stands out. I know we have Indoor trampolines, children's museum, chuck-e-cheese, etc, but I'm looking for something tailored specifically for young kids/preschoolers to run around and play inside when it's too hot outside. We've visited IGI Playland in the Woodlands and tempted to visit Mt. Playmore in Austin, but wishing there was something local.
carpe vinum
AG
Check out powersports
OnlyANobody
nm
PS3D
Aggie112boo said:

Any other mom's or dad's feel the need for some type of indoor playland for kids? We have checked out all indoor options around town this summer, and nothing really stands out. I know we have Indoor trampolines, children's museum, chuck-e-cheese, etc, but I'm looking for something tailored specifically for young kids/preschoolers to run around and play inside when it's too hot outside. We've visited IGI Playland in the Woodlands and tempted to visit Mt. Playmore in Austin, but wishing there was something local.
There was once a chain of indoor playgrounds called Discovery Zone that existed in the 1990s (we never had one locally), but they went out of business, probably due to liability reasons.
Bunk Moreland
DZ expanded way too much too fast and found themselves swimming in debt.
jrhmc
AG
I tried that in 2005 and there's just not enough of a market who will pay enough to keep the A/C and lights on. It's a fun business but you have to be able to pay the bills.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Definitely feel a need for this with small kids and the heat.

But not sure how it would support itself.

How bout having food trucks pay rent as well as a very small affordable admission fee?
jrhmc
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Definitely feel a need for this with small kids and the heat.

But not sure how it would support itself.

How bout having food trucks pay rent as well as a very small affordable admission fee?
The only real way to make it work is to have it cater mostly to daycares and other camps for field trips and that's just a maybe. Unfortunately this concept makes it not as appealing to the parents just wanting a place for their kids to play.

You could maybe make it work as a co-op type situation. However, realize that the rent on a place big enough for a play area, the insurance on anything for kids (it was outrageous 12 years ago), utilities for air conditioning something big enough, and payroll for decent employees costs more than you really could take in unless you charge people $20/kid or more. Food truck rent isn't going to make that cost any lower and probably would add costs since you'd have to have the parking and other city mandated additions to the building like water source and grease trap.

That means you can't even stay afloat, much less make money. We also did birthday parties but the income from that didn't make enough to cover the weekday play times. I really loved this concept and I wish it would work in smaller markets but the places in Houston/Austin/Dallas have a hard enough time staying open so it's really not going to work here.
BlazeHarper
roller skating rink with kid zone / activities within
old school, loud sound system, pinball machines/arcade, pool table
a place with character FOR the youth and college folks

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.