BCS Wish List

23,836 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texasyankee
cledus6150
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wish Bryan/College Station had an Environmental Consulting company so I would be able to work where I spend all my time. Instead of having to work in the soul sucking place known as Houston.
Aggie
AG
***** Sporting Goods

Aggie
AG
Wow Texags has extremly sensitive filters

nought
AG
Aggie said:

***** Sporting Goods

I was going to go for a Dick's Last Resort. I suppose the filters will get that too.

Edit: or maybe not!
Al Bula
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I think the extension of 249 from Houston will be the true catalyst for growth in the region. If BCS gets out of its own way they can market that you can have your business in a college town with cheap work force with access to an international airport in under 1 hour.

That will be a huge selling point and a game changer.
Under an hour from BCS to IAH? I'll have some of what you're smoking.

SH249 extension will terminate east of Navasota. Until a direct connection which branches off H6 east of Navasota is ready, drives will still be bottle-necked at the H6/SH105 exit just to get out of Navasota.

Then you still have to make a decision to either take 249 to the Grand Parkway or 249 all the way down the the Sam Houston Tollroad to get to IAH.

There is no direct connection from 249 to the Grand Parkway today, and the 249/SHTR is a cluster most of the time.

Am I being short-sighted because this infrastructure isn't in place today? Nope. The population on the northwest side of the Houston MSA will continue to explode and make a sub-hour commute from BCS to IAH impossible.

For comparison, Tuscaloosa to Birmingham is about ~65 miles. That is a more realistic hour drive time from airport to college town but that is taking advantage of a major interstate.
Tailgate88
AG
studioone said:

carpe vinum said:

We need a proper Dim Sum restaurant.

yeah... problem is no one (other than me) likes to eat chicken feet and baby octopus and snails and such..

well.. maybe a few...

we have to drive to the Ocean Palace in houston to get dim sum.

btw.. Decades ago, one of my college professors said that Disney attempted to make a water park here in Bryan, but the city would not give them free sewage or something so negotiations fell through...

woulda been nice...
I could have written this post. Same exact situation. We LOVE Dim Sum and a couple times a year we make the pilgrammage to Ocean. DANG IT NOW I WANT SHUI MAI!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Someone needs to send the Gander Mountain or Academy property listing to Main Event.
armymom
I would love to see a diner out at the airport! Lots of fun watching landing and take-offs, especially during football season!
TellMeMore
Well your professor from decades ago probably didn't remember correctly or is just wrong. Disney does not place a park unless they have a very large footprint of undeveloped land so they can control the adjacent area. That is the first item on a long list. Fun to bring up. But it didn't happen.
PS3D
TellMeMore said:

Well your professor from decades ago probably didn't remember correctly or is just wrong. Disney does not place a park unless they have a very large footprint of undeveloped land so they can control the adjacent area. That is the first item on a long list. Fun to bring up. But it didn't happen.
I had *heard* that many, many years ago, The Eagle ran an article about Disney wanting to redevelop Bryan Municipal Golf Course as a theme park (as a joke article). However, because those articles only exist in microfilm (Newspapers.com only goes up to sometime in the 1970s), I can't verify the authenticity of that article actually existing.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
When I lived in Beaumont there was a rumor for years that Disney was going to build a park on I-10 between there and Houston. Lots of open rice land. Park would be central for US.

It was all pie in the sky hope and probably some attempt to sell land.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Winnie area, right?
MosesHallRAB83
AG
yep
PS3D
Cyp0111 said:

Northgate needs to form some version of a cohesive urban environment. That may be too much to ask
If you want a "cohesive urban environment" go to an outdoor mall.

That being said...Northgate still has a long way to go. I would like to redevelop the McDonald's/IHOP/Schlotzsky's/Chipotle to build another large tower with a full size (50k+ square foot supermarket), reopen College Main for better traffic flow, tear down the old Notes N Quotes and the now-abandoned Jin's/Lippman Music building, especially tear down the old bicycle shop (for the sidewalk issue if nothing else), turn the old University Square building into new city "blocks"...I could go on. But it must retain some sort of "character", enough to attract great ethnic food restaurants and interesting shops, AND be enough to actually reasonably park.
Captn_Ag05
AG
That area could definitely use some help. I think (hope) that if Century Square does well, something similar to what you are hoping for will happen. With nice, new development on both sides, it seems natural that it would.
biobioprof
Tailgate88 said:

studioone said:

carpe vinum said:

We need a proper Dim Sum restaurant.

yeah... problem is no one (other than me) likes to eat chicken feet and baby octopus and snails and such..

well.. maybe a few...

we have to drive to the Ocean Palace in houston to get dim sum.

btw.. Decades ago, one of my college professors said that Disney attempted to make a water park here in Bryan, but the city would not give them free sewage or something so negotiations fell through...

woulda been nice...
I could have written this post. Same exact situation. We LOVE Dim Sum and a couple times a year we make the pilgrammage to Ocean. DANG IT NOW I WANT SHUI MAI!
Good Dim Sum with lots of variety is hard to do without a higher population base to support the dishes turning over fast enough.

But shiu mai is not hard to do at home and freeze. Har gow is the dough I could never get to work.
rocketscience
AG
This is more of a city thing, but I would love to see the Northgate lot in between the Northgate Promenade and the Tradition be turned into a lawn with a stage on one end to have outdoor concerts in the Spring, Summer, and Fall like Blues on the Green at Zilker in Austin or the concerts they have at the Stella in Bryan.
australopithecus robustus
There would then be no parking for said lawn
AgFan1999
Cyp0111
The developers of Midway are partnering with HEB to build the first Urban prototype HEB in Houston with apartments on top of the grocery store.

I would imagine they are going to try and convince HEB that is the best decision for the piece of land they have open at University and College Main (part of City Centre).

I do agree that the fast food joints need to be folded into ground floor retail of higher density structures.
rocketscience
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

There would then be no parking for said lawn
The Northgate Garage, maybe? Which is right across the street.
australopithecus robustus
There's nowhere near enough parking inventory in the garage alone. Shiner Park by itself holds 1400 people. There's 750 spots in the garage
AgFan1999
AG
Captn_Ag05
AG
Is the Brazos Co. Arboretum nice? I've never been. But, I'd like to see the area have a really nice arboretum. With a&m, seems like it would be a natural fit.
moneyinthebananastand
I think an indoor ski facility would kill. Locate it by Easterwood so ski teams could fly in and use it.

https://www.snowindustrynews.com/media/2329/xanadu-new-jersey.jpg https://usatunofficial.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/ski-dubai-1024x768.jpg

techno-ag
AG
moneyinthebananastand said:

I think an indoor ski facility would kill. Locate it by Easterwood so ski teams could fly in and use it.

Memories of Mt. Aggie! Wasn't indoors, though.
FlyRod
Cyp0111
You're my favorite poster on earth
bearkitten
Home Goods and an affordable dentist.
nought
AG
Here's one I have wished for for a long time: a true Greek restaurant, or at least a place with really good Gyros.

You can get close at Shiraz, and sortof there at Pita Pit, and don't even get me started about whatever it is that Cafe Eccell decided to call a "gyro" but isn't -- a true Greek place would do well here I think.

Years ago there was one off of Welsh between Holleman and Southwest Parkway, but it didn't last long. I am pretty sure that wasn't the best location in town for a Greek restaurant to succeed.
Costa and Andreas
It's true. Our gyro is not a traditional gyro, nor is it billed as one. It's definitely not for someone looking for a street-style gyro. We do slow braised leg of lamb, not the pressed meat from the street gyro.

Note: being a Greek, I love the traditional gyros!! Maybe we'll do a gyro joint someday!
nought
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

It's true. Our gyro is not a traditional gyro, nor is it billed as one. It's definitely not for someone looking for a street-style gyro. We do slow braised leg of lamb, not the pressed meat from the street gyro.

Note: being a Greek, I love the traditional gyros!! Maybe we'll do a gyro joint someday!
I'd beg of you to add a traditional gyro to your menu. You used to have what seemed like traditional gyro meat on a Greek pizza I believe -- it was a winner.
Costa and Andreas
Noted.

We have toyed with the idea.

I sincerely appreciate the feedback!!
Cyp0111
A gyro joint would do well
carpe vinum
AG
Years ago in the mall was a place that sold the street style gyros, Emilios?
I ate the hell out of those things when I was a kid.

Readfields sells gyro meat, but it's in a 5# box so you have to really like gyros.
Tzadziki is actually easy to make, and pitas are readily available.
We make them at home all the time.
With those huge boxes I'd cook up a whole bunch at a time then just snack on the meat at work.
Pretty good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.