BCS Wish List

23,895 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texasyankee
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MarineBQ04 said:

GSS said:

BrandoC said:

I agree but with the crowd that Texas A&M and College Station attracts now, dancehalls and small town country folks are a thing of the past. It is sad though.
If Walmart and the developers had not shown up with a wheelbarrow full of $$$, the HOF would likely still be open, and doing a great business. B-CS was already quite large when they shutdown.

The big cities at least have their pseudo-honkytonks / dancehalls....other than Harry's (in its doomed location), there is nothing here.
The Hall of Fame shut down because it was in the owners will. He did not want it to become rampant with all this stuff they call country now.
Sure, if you bought the laughable "reason" given by the suddenly wealthy family members of the late Johnny Lyon. The HOF continued to operate well beyond Lyon's passing, was spending money on improvements, had dates booked for various wedding receptions and functions, had started to build a good local crowd with some traditional country bands on Sat nights.....and had booked acts of all types, many out of necessity to attract the college crowd.
They announced the closure mid-Dec, with a NYE dance already scheduled and tickets sold...but mysteriously and suddenly HAD to be closed by Dec 31st of that year ($$$$).
jja79
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Sounds like a great opportunity for some of the posters here to go into business.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that most, if not all the posters here are in business/have jobs already. Nice suggestion though.

If there are truly profitable business opportunities people with jobs and other businesses might well explore them. An existing income stream doesn't stop people from looking at other opportunities.

My point is posters suggest these ideas they say would kill it. If they believe it they might explore those businesses.
AgsWin2011
AG
My wishlist consists of the following:

Taco Bueno
Cowboy Chicken
Grandy's (for their breakfast)
Pappadeaux
In & Out
Best Buy for south CS
Target for south CS (so I don't have to go into town or to Bryan every weekend for the Mrs.)
PS3D
b cstx06 said:

Cyp0111 said:

I think the extension of 249 from Houston will be the true catalyst for growth in the region. If BCS gets out of its own way they can market that you can have your business in a college town with cheap work force with access to an international airport in under 1 hour.

That will be a huge selling point and a game changer.

We also need to be hopeful that places like Century Square and Atlas create destination town centers that attracts more people.

Right now College Station is essentially a suburb without a downtown and Bryan isnt desirable (outside of a Miramont or Traditions).
You do realize that Atlas is in Bryan right? So is the Heath Science Center, RELLIS, etc. Bryan is growing and is desirable but some people that live south of Bryan refuse to believe that it is so. Don't forget that the city of Bryan has been on several of the fastest growing cities list for the past few years.

When you get the time, why don't you come ride around and see all the changes happening in Bryan.

Back on subject.

A mini zoo, theme park, water park, Main Event are all the types of places that are needed here.

Santa's wonderland could be so much more then a seasonal destination. I think I remember some years in the past that they tried to do a year round western themed destination thing.
I know you defend Bryan at every occasion even if it's semantics but RELLIS, Atlas, and HSC are all on the outskirts of town, which essentially backs up the "except Miramont and Traditions". That being said...

I believe Santa's Wonderland did try to do some sort of "Christmas in July" opening but it failed.

So, as for wishlist, I want a west loop, using SH-40 and new ROW, possibly incorporating FM 2818. And there must be a way to actually access it from Highway 6, as I've been consistently stopped at both stoplights when trying to go to WB 40 from NB 6. Additionally, Highway 6 between Rock Prairie up to the north side is far out of date, and the exit changeovers were a cheap fix that isn't going to work. We're talking more lanes (at least three, plus a continuous lane from the entrance to the next exit), concrete, hi-viz striping, better lighting.

I don't want to see the campus grow much more, campus growth (including RELLIS) is getting out of control and it's just harming the cities in terms of traffic and flatter growth. I'd rather see new industries come in (blue collar, white collar).

For further economic growth, we need something that prevents "runoff" to Houston, so maybe putting in a large outlet mall could spur growth, a Costco, as well as more "stuff" that isn't fancy but we would all like. Maybe one regular Kroger in addition to the new H-E-B coming, as well as a Fiesta. Restaurants too, with new names.

And of course more for families to see and do (waterpark, mini-golf, etc., perhaps another few museums).
The Original AG 76
AG
ACE Hardware near Welborn. I know it was tried years ago but I understand it was closed on Sunday ! I keep trying to talk my local ACE guy into looking into CS but he's just not interested in another store.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I've seen a lot of water park suggestions on here. Does the area have the summer population to sustain one?
AgySkeet06
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I've seen a lot of water park suggestions on here. Does the area have the summer population to sustain one?
Given the rate the school districts are growing, I would assume so.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I hope you're right. I would love to see something like that happen!

Related to that, anyone have enrollment figures for CSISD and BISD? Would be interested to see current numbers compared to five years ago.
FTA03
AG
4ORE! Golf
sornman
Captn_Ag05 said:

I hope you're right. I would love to see something like that happen!

Related to that, anyone have enrollment figures for CSISD and BISD? Would be interested to see current numbers compared to five years ago.
Looks like just over 13k students in CSISD, almost 16k in BISD.

http://www.csisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=295511&type=d&pREC_ID=681806

https://1.cdn.edl.io/eoxEaTRAkDdE6ShQ8F81yAMYARjrT9Sg3WRLfQMLmvjRh8Er.pdf
love2crop
Trader Joe's is my number 1 choice for C.S. They were interested in a place on University, but backed out.

Second would be a good breakfast place in south C.S. (Corner Bakery, LaMadeline, Egg & I).
gettingitdone
This +1. Harry's is too small accommodate the acts that perform there now. This would be a huge hit!!!
rocketscience
AG
I'd love a Trader Joe's/Natural Grocers/Whole Foods/Sprouts and a Topgolf which I think would do amazing here with all the student organizations that would want to hold events and mixers there.
jja79
AG
I don't think Top Golf is in any locations with less than a million population.
carpe vinum
AG
We need a proper Dim Sum restaurant.
The Anchor
AG
jja79 said:

I don't think Top Golf is in any locations with less than a million population.

There's one in Webster and they have ~11k people (I'm fully aware that the area around Webster is dense. I'm just poking at ya.).
John 14:6
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
deh40 said:

James Coney Island

It has already been tried.......and failed,

IMHO it was in the wrong place. It was in Northgate (now a Taco Bell).

It should have been in an area of Texas Ave, where people could drive there. Students did not support it...sad.
deh40
AG
pepe the dog said:

deh40 said:

V
James Coney Island

It has already been tried.......and failed,

IMHO it was in the wrong place. It was in Northgate (now a Taco Bell).

It should have been in an area of Texas Ave, where people could drive there. Students did not support it...sad.
That was a long time ago. I agree not the right location because it needs to be where the general population will support it, not just students. And JCI is a different restaurant than it was then
ag-bq-seventy
AG
AgGunNut said:

Some kind of industry to bring in good paying jobs and tax dollars other than retail, restaurants, and hotels.
Yeah, something like a large university.
australopithecus robustus
Ok, let me rephrase. An industry that is year round, not a school that is 65% on 35% off
AgFan1999
AG
TopGolf is going into/already located in:

Birmingham, AL - pop. 212, 000
Huntsville, AL - pop. 188,000
Salt Lake City - 199,000
Fonzie Scheme
AG
How big is the metro/surrounding market from which it will pull? I'm guessing none of those are in the middle of a triangle with Top Golf locations at every point.

Plus, I love how -- just because someone really, really, really wants something -- it would KILL here. KILL, JERRY!
AgFan1999
AG
Good point. there's what - 3, 4 in Houston?

AgFan1999
AG
I tried to help with the city populations as there was a little flexibility in which areas were included in which metro areas.

Nice thing is, I don't really have to care about your input now that they've input the block feature.
jja79
AG
AgFan1999 said:

TopGolf is going into/already located in:

Birmingham, AL - pop. 212, 000
Huntsville, AL - pop. 188,000
Salt Lake City - 199,000

SMSA for Birmingham and SLC 1.1 million. Huntsville SMSA 735,000.
PS3D
ag-bq-seventy said:

AgGunNut said:

Some kind of industry to bring in good paying jobs and tax dollars other than retail, restaurants, and hotels.
Yeah, something like a large university.
Most of the jobs in the university aren't super well-paid (faculty and staff). I'd like to see the breakdown, but once you get past a certain threshold, the highest-paid are going to have their main homes in Houston and only maybe second homes here. This is one of the things I mean about preventing tax run-off to Houston. Well, that and only operating two-thirds of the year.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
According to their website, there are nine in Texas; all of which are in DFW, Houston metro, and AustinTonio. Number 10 is about to open in El Paso.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
love2crop said:

Trader Joe's is my number 1 choice for C.S. They were interested in a place on University, but backed out.

Second would be a good breakfast place in south C.S. (Corner Bakery, LaMadeline, Egg & I).

LaMadeline in CS is as much a slam dunk to thrive as anything. I love Corner Bakery would love to see one here.
jja79
AG
Mo's Irish Pub is going to kill it.
Cyp0111
That is fair and I'm happy for you. Be of good cheer.
studioone
carpe vinum said:

We need a proper Dim Sum restaurant.

yeah... problem is no one (other than me) likes to eat chicken feet and baby octopus and snails and such..

well.. maybe a few...

we have to drive to the Ocean Palace in houston to get dim sum.

btw.. Decades ago, one of my college professors said that Disney attempted to make a water park here in Bryan, but the city would not give them free sewage or something so negotiations fell through...

woulda been nice...
Captn_Ag05
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

love2crop said:

LaMadeline in CS is as much a slam dunk to thrive as anything. I love Corner Bakery would love to see one here.

Was just thinking today a LaMadeline would be a good fit for Century Square.
rocketscience
AG
More restaurants in Northgate are a huge need. Especially with the addition of 2000 more beds each year now. Would love to see some new restaurants where La Bodega used to be and something in the Loupot building. Still not sure how that one has remained empty for so long...
Cyp0111
Northgate needs to form some version of a cohesive urban environment. That may be too much to ask
Captn_Ag05
AG
What are you envisioning by that?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.