Texas Avenue Crape Myrtles RIP

3,645 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Belton Ag
Frio Cielo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why are they taking out all of the shrubs and beds in the center of Texas Avenue? Are they trying to minimize maintenance or were the blocks a risk issue? They going to replace with paving blocks or stamped colored concrete?

I see that going on and the song lyric, "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" comes to mind when I see the work.
redd38
AG
Trees in the median are stupid, it's a shame it took them 5? years to realize that.
FlyRod
One of the state's more notorious speed traps, Combs in south Texas, involved motorcycle cops hiding in the tall oleander in the median.

Unintended benefits of removal...
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Frio Cielo said:

Why are they taking out all of the shrubs and beds in the center of Texas Avenue?
It's not like they were natural growth. I remember when the put them in.
AggieAces06
AG
I think they are just redoing the boxes.
BrandoC
AG
They need to be worrying about repaving Texas Avenue rather than changing the medians.......
toolshed
AG
BrandoC said:

They need to be worrying about repaving Texas Avenue rather than changing the medians.......

Seriously? Where does it need repaving? It's all relatively newer concrete construction from University to 2818 in front of Walmart. The section from Harvey to the north is about 10 years older than the section south, but I wouldn't say any of it needs to be repaved, even with the cracks and such that showed up after the southern section was completed, between Holleman and Harvey.

There are plenty worse streets in town to repave than Texas Avenue.
PS3D
toolshed said:

BrandoC said:

Seriously? Where does it need repaving? It's all relatively newer concrete construction from University to 2818 in front of Walmart. The section from Harvey to the north is about 10 years older than the section south, but I wouldn't say any of it needs to be repaved, even with the cracks and such that showed up after the southern section was completed, between Holleman and Harvey.

From what I was seeing on my commute, it's the medians in the section north of George Bush, which hasn't aged well and is now pretty bumpy with sealants used over the years. Not "random patches of asphalt" bumpy or "potholes everywhere" bumpy but it tends to be groovy (literally).

The main concrete part between 2818 and Walmart was completed less than 10 years ago but in front of Target now and that area there are a number of chunks missing from the slabs installed, so bad that you can see rebar underneath. I know that another bad area closer to Walmart (right before the right hand lane forces you onto 2818) was patched with asphalt, but Texas Avenue is slowly but surely becoming another victim of the "nice concrete road starts falling apart within a decade" problem that hit Graham Road pretty hard (they had to completely re-do the section near Longmire as grass was growing between the concrete, even though it was only done in 2002). It's not all bad, George Bush between 2818 and Wellborn has held up VERY well over the years.
CrazyAgE
I can't stand how almost all of these medians around town and also the overpasses have all of these gianormous weeds all over. If they are going to do all of these medians that are filled with brick, then they need to make sure they strictly maintain them to they don't look like total ****. Regarding the bridges, when you are coming into town from the south, those seem to be the worst. But you see it everywhere.
Bucketrunner
The plants in the median give the area some modicum of charm, and I will miss them. I've grown to have zero confidence that CS has any awareness of the need for nice landscaping.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
toolshed said:

BrandoC said:

Concrete? You mean asphalt, right?
toolshed
AG
No, I mean concrete. Cement, aggregate, rebar... not oil, tar and gravel.

Most of Texas Avenue in CS is concrete, until you get south of 2818, and I think it changes to asphalt N of University.
Kitten With A Whip
toolshed said:

No, I mean concrete. Cement, aggregate, rebar... not oil, tar and gravel.

Most of Texas Avenue in CS is concrete, until you get south of 2818, and I think it changes to asphalt N of University.
I think that northernmost section of Texas Avenue closest to University Drive is still asphalt, but I wouldn't say it is in any dire need of repaving, necessarily. I could be wrong and will defer to anyone who cares to drive over and take a look!
toolshed
AG
According to google satellite view, I am wrong, University to GB is asphalt, S of GB is concrete. I stand corrected.
AggieJason
AG
BrandoC said:

You're silly. The concrete / asphalt is fine.
BrandoC
AG
Potholes the size of grown men. You must be blind.
Frio Cielo
BrandoC said:

True.

The other day I saw a child on a bike that accidently went into one of those potholes and hasn't been seen since.

Perhaps is wandering around China in a daze?
Frio Cielo
CrazyAgE said:

I can't stand how almost all of these medians around town and also the overpasses have all of these gianormous weeds all over. If they are going to do all of these medians that are filled with brick, then they need to make sure they strictly maintain them to they don't look like total ****. Regarding the bridges, when you are coming into town from the south, those seem to be the worst. But you see it everywhere.

I agree. To me it is ort of embarrassing to see weeds growing out of the cracks in the concrete in the medium down George Bush off and on all the way to the library entrance.
Belton Ag
AG
BrandoC said:

I'm legitimately curious if you're lost in some other town somewhere and don't even realize it.
CS78
The bushes in the median were a constant source of blocking sight for people turning left on to places like Lincoln. Figure it cant be long before they just block off all the left turns like they have the rest of town.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
You should never put any vegetation that could exceed a couple of feet in height in a roadway median. It's a safety issue.
techno-ag
AG
City guy on WTAW yesterday said they were dying anyway. Looks like they might replace later when construction is done.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

You should never put any vegetation that could exceed a couple of feet in height in a roadway median. It's a safety issue
You mean like the oak trees on George Bush Drive?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Yeah, that would be an example.
agnerd
AG
CrazyAgE said:

Why would a politician spend money on maintenance when they can spend money on something new that they can slap their name on? It's not all their fault, though. Voters vote for the guy that built the NEW road, not the one that maintained the existing one.
BrandoC
AG
Damn you must work for TxDot. Same response they give everyone else who explains ****ty road designs throughout College Station.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Just curious, where are these man sized potholes that you speak of? Please no generalities, precise locations so I can avoid them.
drivinwest
AG
I'm curious as well as to the locations of these giant potholes. So that mkes 3-4 of us that work for TxDOT..
Belton Ag
AG
BrandoC said:

Damn you must work for TxDot. Same response they give everyone else who explains ****ty road designs throughout College Station.
Nope, but if more than one person is giving you the same response it's usually a good sign the response is true...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.