Making a Worse Mess at Wellborn, Old College and F&B

2,584 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by isitjustme
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got a chance to take a good look at this. Any train of more than 2 minutes in crossing duration will likely stop traffic in all directions creating a much worse mess than they do now. It is clear that the engineers who designed this "fix" don't ever really drive this stretch on a regular basis. Thoughts?
[url=https://www.bryantx.gov/wellborn-road-lane-reconfiguration-begins-july-24th/][/url]
https://www.bryantx.gov/wellborn-road-lane-reconfiguration-begins-july-24th/

redd38
AG
I think if the yellow triangle (for northbound) and white triangle (for southbound) that force the merge are just painted on instead of actual, raised medians then it'll work. That'll allow those turn lanes to get as long as they need to be without blocking the through traffic.
isitjustme
AG
I hope you're right. I go that way a lot and while it can be messy, it is usually manageable.
95_Aggie
AG
Wellborn should be widened there to accommodate extra lanes, but I guess they are hemmed in by the railroad on one side and apartments on the other.
Birddog
AG
I go thtu this intersection daily, I really never have trouble. I just hope they don't make it worse, may be asking for too much tho.
95_Aggie
AG
Well sitting in the left lane going northbound waiting to turn is a scary proposition sometimes ... just praying that the car coming behind you stops.
PS3D
Wellborn and its need to be a four-lane road all the way to Villa Maria is imperative for its use as a thoroughfare. Bottlenecking it at F&B/Old College makes the four lanes from Villa Maria to Old College useless. Better solution is to demolish the apartments at the southeast corner of the intersection and eliminate the awkward "two stoplights" problem. Might as well get demolition done now if the end-goal is a grade separation.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Ah Yes, the folks at texdot know best
Spyderman
AG
PS3D said:

Wellborn and its need to be a four-lane road all the way to Villa Maria is imperative for its use as a thoroughfare. Bottlenecking it at F&B/Old College makes the four lanes from Villa Maria to Old College useless. Better solution is to demolish the apartments at the southeast corner of the intersection and eliminate the awkward "two stoplights" problem. Might as well get demolition done now if the end-goal is a grade separation.
agnerd
AG
If they're going through that much trouble, why not connect F&B directly to old college? One intersection is better than two that are 50' apart.
isitjustme
AG
Update: s.o. and I just drove southbound on the wellborn redesign a couple times. Dedicated left turn lanes on wellborn to turn onto old college and from the other direction onto f&b appear to be long enough not to cause problems.

What will cause problems is that the narrowing to 1 lane occurs at the left turn into z islander, so one car turning left can cause a lot of problems. Right now they have plastic barriers to force you into the one lane. Maybe they'll remove those later. Also, during trains, those turning left off of old college are likely going to be more screwed than they were previously, especially those who want to turn left and keep going as opposed to turn left then right onto f&b.

Maybe they'll fix any shortcomings after a bit but I'm not optimistic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.