Caprock 5k?

3,570 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tailgate88
aggiefan2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this happening again this year? Anyone know date?
Wicked Good Ag
I thought you were posting about a bill for like 5 stitches after a 30 minute visit
O.G.
A lot of local runners that I know, that live in that area, have been turned off of that race, as of late, because of a supposed "ringer" that gets brought in from Houston and wins every year.

Seems like a lot of effort for a local 5K race, but I'm told that this person is at least semi-professional and the families that show up to participate are getting turned off by it.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen it myself, but I did hear it from a lot of different, unrelated sources.
InMyOpinion
SAWgunner said:

A lot of local runners that I know, that live in that area, have been turned off of that race, as of late, because of a supposed "ringer" that gets brought in from Houston and wins every year.

Seems like a lot of effort for a local 5K race, but I'm told that this person is at least semi-professional and the families that show up to participate are getting turned off by it.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen it myself, but I did hear it from a lot of different, unrelated sources.

What would be the benefit of bringing in a "ringer" from Houston for a charity 5k?
aggiefan2002
Were these families expecting to win and the ringer took their prize?
O.G.
InMyOpinion said:

SAWgunner said:

What would be the benefit of bringing in a "ringer" from Houston for a charity 5k?

That's kind of the question that I had.
soso33
He's just a guy that enters a lot of these types of races to win the prizes. But last year, the disgust was ratcheted up after he won and was awarded his prize. Because moments later, guess who won the raffle drawing for the grand prize of a macbook air? Yep, the same guy.
aggiefan2002
So....anyone know if it's happening this year? Should only be like 6 weeks away.
rc_cat
soso33 said:

He's just a guy that enters a lot of these types of races to win the prizes. But last year, the disgust was ratcheted up after he won and was awarded his prize. Because moments later, guess who won the raffle drawing for the grand prize of a macbook air? Yep, the same guy.
Is this the same guy who is an Aggie and ran for Pat Henry at A&M?
montegobay
I am guessing if it's six weeks out and you haven't heard anything, then it's not happening. Is that Race Texas? They, like many other organizations that put on these runs, are struggling to stay afloat now that the running bubble has burst.
BCStalk
I will just donate and drive my truck 5k. It's too dang hot.
W
AG
the old $10 to $15 registration fee has become $25 to $30
TXAggie1976
AG
What non-profit does it benefit?
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
In the past I believe the money has gone to local high schools? Can't say for sure though.
jac4
AG
TXAggie1976 said:

What non-profit does it benefit?

aggiERdoc
AG
Thanks for your interest in the CapRock 5k. As one of the owners, I can clear things up.

1) The race will be held again this year: September 30, at 0800 at the CSHS field house (same location/route as in the past).

2) All registration fees for runners are donated to the booster clubs of the 4 major high schools in the area. CapRock and our cosponsors (TBD) fully underwrite the race so none of the registration fees are used for planning, timing, food, prizes, etc.

3) About the repeat winner. We don't know him personally, but apparently he is a semi-professional runner from Houston who runs races with good prizes, and we try to have very attractive prizes (such as Mac laptops, watches, sizeable gift certificates, etc.).

We were disappointed that he won two years in a row and were even more disappointed when he won the best raffle prize. Sadly, his was about the 5th name drawn by the booster club president... the others had left before the drawing.

4) This year, there will be no repeat winners. So, even if he runs again, a new winner will be awarded. Since we are healthcare providers, not professional run organizers, we didn't understand how this game can be played and we didn't anticipate having repeat winners.

5) We haven't settled on the registration fee, but in the past it was $25 per person and $80 per family.

It is a great race with chip timing, music, food, drinks and even bounce houses and other entertainment for children, etc. And all of the money raised is contributed to the schools.

So come out and have some fun before we BTHO the gamecocks. I don't even run, but it's still lots of fun!
O.G.
Good info. Thanks.
dave99ag
AG
aggiERdoc said:

4) This year, there will be no repeat winners. So, even if he runs again, a new winner will be awarded. Since we are healthcare providers, not professional run organizers, we didn't understand how this game can be played and we didn't anticipate having repeat winners.
If you award prizes for the top finishers, how would you not know that someone could enter every year and beat everyone? That's like telling Usain Bolt he doesn't get gold because he won before.

Just call it a charity run and don't award anything for the fastest finisher. Problem solved.
Tailgate88
AG
dave99ag said:

aggiERdoc said:

If you award prizes for the top finishers, how would you not know that someone could enter every year and beat everyone? That's like telling Usain Bolt he doesn't get gold because he won before.

Just call it a charity run and don't award anything for the fastest finisher. Problem solved.

+1. You are doing a great thing by underwriting the event and donating all the proceeds. Few of the local runners care or probably even want to run against professionals. Make the prizes gift certificates to other local businesses and call it a day. Thanks for your support of the community!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.