Parking ticket on campus

10,012 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
fla_agfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife just got a parking ticket. We are from out of state and will probably never have to park on campus again.

My question is, do we have to pay the fine. And if we don't pay, what are the repercussions?
rhoswen
AG
For god sakes, just pay it.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yes, you have to pay it. It will get sent to collections and reported if you don't.
theycallmemrtibbs
Scoopen Skwert
AG
It's all good because even though you have to pay, the Association pays half.
BlazeHarper
http://transport.tamu.edu/About/news/2015/15_05_11ParkingEnforcement.aspx

"For visitors who don't pay parking citations the university can track down the registered owner through their license plate. The university also has the option to send it to a collection agency but they tell us that's something rarely practiced."

BrandoC
AG
Call TAMU transportation and explain your situation. If you didn't really know where to park since you are from out of town, they should excuse the ticket.
gettingitdone
So your wife parks illegally, gets a ticket, and you are wondering do you have to pay for it? Yes she has to pay it. Not only is she required to, it is the right thing to do.
Scruffy
AG
If you have children here, they will add it to their student bill and not allow them to register until paid.
Birddog
AG
Red dot your wife on the list at Heaton Hall and will not graduate.
Post removed:
by user
The Original AG 76
AG
Don't think we will be hearing back from OP
doubledog
goto : http://transport.tamu.edu/Parking/appeal.aspx

Follow the Citation Appeals Process and use the on-line forms.

You will need to pay the citation first, but there is about a 50/50 chance they will drop the citation or lower citation fee significantly.

aggiepaintrain
AG
Welcome to Aggieland!
Post removed:
by user
isitjustme
AG
Over the last 15 years or so, I have received 2 parking citations and had them both dismissed on appeal. The system does work out that way sometimes but not always. You just need to explain the situation and tell them you will do your best not to do it again and be more careful where you park.
rhoswen
AG
I wonder if I drove to Dallas and parked somewhere I shouldn't if I could get a ticket waived because I don't live there.
TKDMom
If you parked on campus in a place where it was clearly marked that you shouldn't, pay the ticket. If you believe that you received the ticket in error, appeal the ticket.

Full disclosure: I work on campus and have got a ticket when I neglected to show my hangtag after driving with the grandkids with the top down on my convertible. I appealed, explained what happened, and they dismissed the ticket. If you treat people the way you would like to be treated, they generally respond in kind.
cz308
If you happen to get a citation on your way back home, be sure to come back here and ask if you have to pay that one too.
gettingitdone
My son is a student working on campus. During the summer, using his hang tag, he can pretty much park anywhere until the cut off date, which is generally around the time students start moving back. Last summer, he got a ticket. He failed to check his email to see when that cut off date was and was a day late. The ticket was ONLY $25
fla_agfan
The Original AG 76 said:

Here I am.

My wife parked at Kyle and walked into the Hall of Champions to find me and our kids. Yes she was in the wrong. She parked in a reserved spot in a lot that was 3/4 empty. I could understand if the lot was full... But it wasn't.

The kicker is... somehow it's MY fault.
techno-ag
AG
fla_agfan said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Here I am.

My wife parked at Kyle and walked into the Hall of Champions to find me and our kids. Yes she was in the wrong. She parked in a reserved spot in a lot that was 3/4 empty. I could understand if the lot was full... But it wasn't.

The kicker is... somehow it's MY fault.
They don't call them "parking Nazis" for nothing. Follow the appeal process. If you win great, if you don't no biggie. Send a $75 donation instead of $100 next time.
FlyRod
Calling TAMU staff Nazis.
Love Gun
Just pay it. UPD is a no kidding law enforcement organization and not some security guards. They can definitely put out a warrant and arrest your wife. This isn't like skipping a toll booth.

Will they? Probably not, but why go through life with a muddy conscience, hoping to never get pulled over in College Station again? Did the crime? Do the time, or argue it in court.
Scruffy
AG
It wasn't UPD
It was parking and transit

Two completely different orgs.
All parking can do is turn it over to collections. It isn't a "Ticket" from law enforcement.
Love Gun
Scruffy said:

It wasn't UPD
It was parking and transit

Two completely different orgs.
All parking can do is turn it over to collections. It isn't a "Ticket" from law enforcement.

Got it.

Well, OP, hope that you don't get something in the mail!
Aggie
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Yes, you have to pay it. It will get sent to collections and reported if you don't.

lol no it won't
I have several unpaid parking tickets from over 15 years ago.
They were BS tickets.. Many of them received while I was in the TMF offices paying them thousands of dollars. I'm not wasting time to get them dismissed.
I got notices every so often , less and less each year, for about 10 years then I guess they finally realized I wasn't paying.
samsal75
AG
Some of the tickets are BS! My son got a ticket for reverse parking because like many, his company trains/encourages reverse parking for proven safety reasons. After asking Transport Dept where the signs were stating 'No Reverse Parking', there are none, the ticket was dismissed. BS nonetheless.
Stupe
S
fla_agfan said:

My wife just got a parking ticket. We are from out of state and will probably never have to park on campus again.

My question is, do we have to pay the fine. And if we don't pay, what are the repercussions?
If you parked where you weren't supposed to park, you should pay it.

If you think it was a mistake, appeal it.

What is so difficult about being honest?
Post removed:
by user
Scruffy
AG
Beat The Hell 'Otta PTTS!
A WHOOP!
The Original AG 76
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Quote:

Calling TAMU staff Nazis.
Yeah, back in the 90s, we called the the parking gestapo.

in the 70's we didn't call em anything.....we didn't have cars !!!!

BUT..like any good adult...when we did get tickets that we deserved WE PAID THEM !!! Live in mexico if you want to pick and chose which laws you obey...
jja79
AG
Aggie said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

lol no it won't
They were BS tickets.. Many of them received while I was in the TMF offices paying them thousands of dollars. I'm not wasting time to get them dismissed.
I got notices every so often , less and less each year, for about 10 years then I guess they finally realized I wasn't paying.

Why didn't you park in the spots marked for TMF members who are going to their office.
TKDMom
Quote:

lol no it won't

Hope you never have to provide an official copy of your transcript to anyone. Transportation Services now puts transcript holds on students/former students who don't pay their tickets. If you need a transcript, you have to pay for the parking tickets first.
TKDMom
Faculty and staff pay for numbered spaces on campus and it's not cheap. If your wife parked in a numbered spot, you should probably just go ahead and pay the ticket.

Now, so far as it being "your fault" that your wife had to park and go looking for you? Were you supposed to be outside when she pulled into the lot?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.