Fresh Gulf Seafood?

2,533 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MosesHallRAB83
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Many years ago, a gentleman would come by our office once every month or so with fresh gulf seafood. His sons had a shrimp boat in Galveston, so he had various routes around Texas that he would drive. He would have 5 pound bags of shrimp and lots of different kinds of fresh fish. They were all flash frozen on the boat when they had been caught. Does anyone know of anything similar happening these days in College Station? Once you've had that high quality of seafood it's hard to get the stuff from the store.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Having come here from a life on the gulf coast the best variety I have been able to find is Fred & Fred's next to Farm Patch.
Tailgate88
AG
I am aware of Fred & Fred and have purchased from them before, but you simply cannot beat the freshness of shrimp that are fresh off the boat.
FlyRod
HEB has a tight lock on the boats that target red snapper, so they are a good bet when the season is on. Fred & Fred is good, though inconsistent. Unfortunately BCS has more tilapia and catfish fans then fresh Gulf seafood fans, so it's not an easy search. Good luck to you.
Lovebird
There is a guy that sells some fresh seafood on wednesdays and sundays on the feeder road in college station by graham road. Not sure the exact name.
Post removed:
by user
Roc96
AG
An Aggie happens to own the main source of seafood and its distribution in South Texas. I'm surprised he doesn't supply to places here.
FlyRod
Has anyone contacted this Aggie to inquire about this?
Tailgate88
AG
Lovebird said:

There is a guy that sells some fresh seafood on wednesdays and sundays on the feeder road in college station by graham road. Not sure the exact name.

I had heard of this but have been by there several times including today at 2:45 and no seafood. Honey, yes. Yard eggs, yes. Seafood, no.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Would you buy steaks from a truck that rolls up in your neighborhood peddling them as overstocked and have to discount them to break even? I wouldn't and haven't. I would be very leary of a pickup on the side of the road peddling seafood, especially this distance from the coast.

I have bought seafood from a truck situation when I lived near the coast but only after knowing who he was and doing a little due diligence.

Be careful buying is all I am saying. I suspect you already are, but just in case.
Tailgate88
AG
All right everyone, my prayers have been answered. I had heard that there was a guy selling seafood at that location (just south of Kroger on the feeder road in the parking lot of that body shop) but when I drove by I only saw the guy selling honey. Well, someone finally clued me in this morning that it is the same guy - he also sells seafood! Friday nights he goes down to the coast and stops at several places, including at a shrimp boat that is docking, and he buys fresh gulf seafood. He says "everything I've got on Saturday was swimming on Friday". 90% of what he does is pre-orders, so you let him know what you want on Wed/Thu and he'll have it for you on Saturday morning.

I bought two pounds of colossal shrimp from him today, which is larger than I normally prefer but what the heck, we're going to do some steak kebabs and shrimp kebabs tonight. He also had sushi grade tuna and some redfish left. He can get blue crab, oysters, shrimp, and all sorts of fish.

Please check him out and support this guy! S&L Farms is the name, and you can find them on Facebook. He posts frequently and you can order from him there. He's working on a trailer that he will be able to park there and keep a lot more on hand.
MosesHallRAB83
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.