Anyone in town make a real Apple Fritter?

2,516 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Look Out Below
Frio Cielo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any doughnut shop in town make a really apple fritter? Shipleys is basically a big doughnut with apple filling in the middle. I am talking about apple pieces mixed in with the dough throughout the doughnut.

TimsParents
S
Kroger
Gig'Em & God Bless
momlaw
AG
Babe's Doughnut and Coffee Shop
On Texas in Bryan.
ratfacemcdougal
donald donuts and some of the other small shops have one that is the way you describe. the ones i get at donald are not heavily loaded with apples, which is the way i like them
rc_cat
The other half has the same question. Says the ones at Babes are close - that apple fritters should have pieces of apples and not be just pieces of fried dough.
Scotch
AG
Does anyone know what happened to the Farmer's Market apple fritter recipe? I have never found a fritter that has beat it.
biobioprof
momlaw said:

On Texas in Bryan.
Note that Babes has summer hours that I don't see on the FB page. Went last week just before 3 and it was locked up.
Eliminatus
AG
biobioprof said:

momlaw said:

On Texas in Bryan.
Note that Babes has summer hours that I don't see on the FB page. Went last week just before 3 and it was locked up.
Damn, good to know though.
rc_cat
Eliminatus said:

biobioprof said:

momlaw said:

On Texas in Bryan.
Damn, good to know though.
I think they are supposed to be open 7-3 every day, although I was there around 1:30 the other day and inventory was pretty low - maybe they close when they are pretty much sold out for the day.
PS3D
TimsParents said:

Kroger
Gross.
FlyRod
Grosser than the others?
theycallmemrtibbs
I haven't had it in awhile but Sweet Eugene's used to make a mean apple fritter.
RDH80
AG
Shipley's used to be the best apple fritter, complete with the chunks, etc. I haven't been there in years and didn't realize they are taking the cheap way out and injecting apple goo in the center and calling it an apple fritter
TXAggieMom11
This is a good and fairly easy recipe if you want to try making your own.

Classic Apple Fritter

Cook your fritters until they are a darkish golden colour. They'll look lovely and you'll ensure that the dough is well cooked, as well. These are best on the day they are cooked, but they freeze beautifully, so don't hesitate to pop any extras into the freezer to enjoy later.

Apple FrittersSave
Classic Apple Fritters Doughnuts
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 12
348 kcal

Ingredients

Dough:
1 1/2 Tbsp active dry or instant yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups + 4-6 Tbsp. bread flour
1/4 cup + 2 tsp. white sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp mace (can substitute nutmeg)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp shortening or lard
1 large egg
1/4 tsp vanilla

Filling:
2 medium tart apples, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp bread flour

Glaze:
2 cups confectioners/icing sugar
1 1/2 tsp light corn or golden syrup
1/4 tsp alt
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp white sugar
1/3 cup water

Instructions

For the dough: In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the yeast to the 1/2 warm water. Add the 2 tsp. of sugar, stir and let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, mace and salt. Set aside.
When yeast is ready, add the shortening, egg and vanilla and mix with the paddle attachment on low speed for 1 minute (to break up the shortening). Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Add a second third of the flour mixture and again, mix until combined. Switch to the dough hook and add the remaining flour mixture. Knead with the hook until all that flour is incorporated. Now start adding flour in 1 Tbsp. increments, until the dough comes together, clears the bottom of the bowl and is becoming smooth. Knead on medium for about 2 minutes more. The dough should be smooth and but still a bit moist (but not sticky).
Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set-aside to rise until doubled in size (about 1 hour).

Meanwhile, make the apple filling. Place the diced apples, sugar and lemon juice into a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until all the liquid has evaporated and the apples are softened, about 5 minutes. Remove to a bowl to cool completely before using.

When bread has finished it's first rise, remove to a lightly floured surface and roll into a 10-inch x 10-inch square. Sprinkle the apples over one half of the dough. Sprinkle the 1 Tbsp. cinnamon evenly over the apples and then sprinkle with the 1 Tbsp. flour. Fold the empty side of the dough over the side with the apples. Using a sharp knife or a bench scraper, cut the dough into 1/2-inch wide strips from top to bottom. Repeat cutting 1/2-inch strips from side to side, so you end up with small chunks of dough. Gather up the dough bits and cut some more, from different directions, until it is in small chunks and evenly mixed with cinnamon/apples/dough etc.
Using floured hands, roughly shape into a 12-inch long x 3-inch wide log. Cut the log into 1 inch slices. With each slice, roughly pat into a disc, about the size of your palm (use some additional flour, as needed, if your dough is sticky). Place the dough discs onto a parchment lined or floured baking sheet, leaving a couple of inches of room around each. Repeat with all 12 dough pieces. Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed on the under-side with baking spray and set-aside to rise until doubled again, about 30-45 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Add the icing sugar, corn syrup, salt and vanilla in a large bowl. Set aside. In a small saucepan, bring the water and white granulated sugar to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 minute. Add this mixture to the bowl with the icing sugar and whisk until all the sugar and has been incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Set aside.

When dough is about ready to cook, heat oil in a deep fryer to 370 (alternately, use a heavy deep pot and a thermometer to monitor temperature). Fry each donut until deep golden on the underside (1 1/2 - 2 minutes), flip over and fry the other side. (*time and temperature may need to vary. Watch closely the first few to determine timing. If they seem to be browning too quickly, lower temperature slightly). Remove to a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet. While still quite warm, dip into prepared glaze and return to cooling rack to cool completely.
phatpat21
Wife had an Apple Fritter from Sweet Eugenes Saturday and it was pretty dang good (to us atleast)
Look Out Below
AG
There's a bakery attached to a gas station in Caldwell called Nonni's. The assortment of things things they have is pretty tough to beat from a non-donut/pastry standpoint.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.