My sour dough starter.....

1,755 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Scruffy
Frio Cielo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
that I had for over 20 years died after my last move. Does anyone have a good one that they would share a cup of starter?
Scruffy
AG
I wish.
I can never get a starter to start, much less stay alive.

But from everything I've read it's pretty easy to start; maybe you'll have better luck.
Good luck.
A.G.S.
AG
Ya may be able to ask Twisted Bakery. They are a local couple that make a bunch of different sourdough breads. Their sourdough cinnamon rolls are killer.

I don't think they have a website, but I know they're on fb. And teh sell at the Brazos Valley Farmers Market every once in a while.

If they can't (or won't) sell ya any, they could maybe at least point you in the right direction.
Frio Cielo
Scruffy said:

I wish.
I can never get a starter to start, much less stay alive.

But from everything I've read it's pretty easy to start; maybe you'll have better luck.
Good luck.

I have made many starters over the years and yes, it's very easy to make a starter. All it takes is water and flour and time. But it's very difficult to make a good one that has just the right sourness without other wild yeasts affecting the starter.'s taste and odor.

The one I lost came out of South American that a friend's wife gave me who said her grandmother used it for more than 60 years. I go it in the early 1980's so the grandmother made it sometime around 1900.
letterman72
AG
http://carlsfriends.net/
Country Girl
I have used this recipe for starter many times over the years when making sourdough bread. It has never failed me.

1/2 cups sugar
2 tbsp. instant potato flakes
1 cup flour
1 cup warm water

Stir, cover lightly and let stand for 8 hours. Then refrigerate. Remove 1 cup of starter each week for making bread or to discard. Feed remaining starter with the same recipe each week.

Thanks
Country Girl
dubi
AG
Country Girl said:

I have used this recipe for starter many times over the years when making sourdough bread. It has never failed me.

1/2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup warm water

Stir, cover lightly and let stand for 8 hours. Then refrigerate. Remove 1 cup of starter each week for making bread or to discard. Feed remaining starter with the same recipe each week.

Thanks

What recipe do you use for bread?
1 cup starter in the recipe?
Scruffy
AG
dubi said:

Country Girl said:

1/2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup warm water

Thanks

What recipe do you use for bread?
1 cup starter in the recipe?

Interested as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.