Car burglaries in Southwood Valley area

3,418 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cledus6150
FILO505
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just a heads up. There was a string of them last night. They're driving around looking for unlocked vehicles. Cops said looking for guns and high value stuff they can flip quickly. Neighbor had his pistol in the house, but they took a couple boxes of ammo he left in the truck.

Make sure you're locking your vehicles at night.
BCStalk
I've never understood why people leave guns in their vehicle overnight. I'm always dumbfounded every time I hear about a burglary of a vehicle overnight and a gun is stolen.
The Anchor
AG
BCStalk said:

I've never understood why people leave guns in their vehicle overnight. I'm always dumbfounded every time I hear about a burglary of a vehicle overnight and a gun is stolen.

Because people are stupid
John 14:6
AggieJason
AG
The Anchor said:

BCStalk said:

Because people are stupid
Or lazy.
Stupe
S
Those two traits usually go together.
4lilmonkeys
Which streets? My husband didn't notice anything unusual on his run this morning.

We're usually good about taking valuables inside with us, but I've had a kid leave an iPad in the back seat once or twice. Last night I left my workout bag in the front seat, with my wedding ring and some other not cheap (but not valuable) jewelry. Meant to go grab it before I went to bed, but forgot. It happens.
AggiePhil
AG
House with a garage will cost you more but well worth it in the end!!
cledus6150
AG
My buddies got hit in this area on Friday night and then again last night. Friday night friend left his truck unlocked and they Got his 1911 and GPS, but left the expensive radar detector. Then last night they went ahead and broke into my buddies locked truck and got his FN. Both where at the same house, these are some very brave and brazen criminals to hit the same area so close together.
DBSwooper
cledus6150 said:

My buddies got hit in this area on Friday night and then again last night. Friday night friend left his truck unlocked and they Got his 1911 and GPS, but left the expensive radar detector. Then last night they went ahead and broke into my buddies locked truck and got his FN. Both where at the same house, these are some very brave and brazen criminals to hit the same area so close together.
Imagine how hard it would be to steal pistols from trucks if they were kept safely inside like responsible owners do.
JP76
DBSwooper said:

cledus6150 said:

Imagine how hard it would be to steal pistols from trucks if they were kept safely inside like responsible owners do.

Imagine the repercussions if a child stumbled upon an unlocked vehicle with a loaded pistol inside
02skiag
AG
Great, more irresponsible gun owners supplying criminals with deadly weapons.
cledus6150
AG
Imagine how great it would be if people didn't steal or abuse or have the want to harm others. that sentence is about as likely to happen as me or my friends not carrying in our trucks. Albeit I have a lock box in my truck to prevent a quick smash and grab I also have an alarm on my truck. This post was a simple PSA as to more vehicles getting hit all without alarms . If you want to push some kind of agenda please pm and I will have no problem discussing with you, however I fear you will not like or agree with my stance.
cledus6150
AG
Wouldn't be irresponsible if criminals weren't you know criminals.
cledus6150
AG
In that case the child would be considered a thief if they open a vehicle that is not there's or their parents and should be punished accordingly. Age is not a factor in this as children should be taught early on that opening or entering an unfamiliar vehicle is bad.
Stupe
S
Leaving a firearm in a vehicle overnight is stupid and irresponsible.

That is not debatable.
AggiePlaya
AG
I don't feel sorry for anyone that has a gun stolen because they left in car...u asked for it by leaving it.

Stupid enough to leave it, not smart enough to hold on to it
JP76
cledus6150 said:

In that case the child would be considered a thief if they open a vehicle that is not there's or their parents and should be punished accordingly. Age is not a factor in this as children should be taught early on that opening or entering an unfamiliar vehicle is bad.

And if the child is a son,daughter, niece or nephew?

Kids are going to do dumb stuff because they are young and curious
Adults have no excuse other than carelessness and stupidity to leave a gun unsecured in an unlocked vehicle.
Hell that's just asking to get shot by your own gun if you catch the thief in the act
Love Gun
AggiePlaya said:

I don't feel sorry for anyone that has a gun stolen because they left in car...u asked for it by leaving it.

Replace "car" above with "unoccupied house" then see how that sounds
AggiePlaya
AG
Demon 8 said:

AggiePlaya said:

umm, yea ok
Love Gun
AggiePlaya said:

Demon 8 said:

AggiePlaya said:

umm, yea ok

What's the difference? Burglary is burglary. You can lock the doors and windows and put alarms and safes in either one. One just happens to be more mobile.
BCStalk
So we expect criminals not to be criminals, but carry a gun because of criminals? I'm so confused.
cledus6150
AG
It appears you didn't read my comment or your quote of it as I specifically said unless it was theirs/their parents. Having a firearm in your vehicle is just the same as having one in your house, children should be taught to respect firearms regardless of where they may be. The child's fear of the wrath of the parents should be all that is needed to keep them from meddling with firearms unsupervised. Breaking into a house is just as easily done as a vehicle.
Frio Cielo
It is unrealistic to expect all children to act as rational adults at all times. We all did stupid stuff when young.

Kids should never climb a fence and drown in a swimming pool...but they do. Kids should never pull pranks on neighbors, but often do. Kids should never take what is not their's, but I bet that most everyone here did at least once when a child.

Kids do things stupid and auto drivers are adults, so the adults should make an effort to minimize harn to young children.
DBSwooper
cledus6150 said:

Breaking into a house is just as easily done as a vehicle.
It is still fairly easy to burglarize a residence, but the dynamics and the type of actors are often different when compared to BMV. One of the reasons why the penalties are different. At least that's how it it was during my stint in full time law enforcement, perhaps you have some professional experience in such things to help the discussion?
cledus6150
AG
I agree they are often targeted by different styles/types of burglars. Typically vehicles are seen as targets of opportunity and are easier to flee from than burglarizing a house, however vehicular burglary is often a stepping stone to residential burglary. From what I have seen, when they return to the same area twice and are successful on both occasions it often leads to a residential burglary at that same residence. It may not be immediate but will likely happen in a few weeks or months, especially if they perceive that area to be easy pickings and believe they have a low chance of getting caught.
FILO505
AG
Appreciate the full blown derailment, as this was as much a PSA as anything else. Buddy of mine around the corner had his truck broken into last night. Obviously in same area. They stole a small pocket knife that he had just started carrying with him. Suppose he's an idiot for not pulling security on his truck all night or not thinking to take a pocket knife inside every night.
DBSwooper
tombdaddy504 said:

Appreciate the full blown derailment, as this was as much a PSA as anything else. Buddy of mine around the corner had his truck broken into last night. Obviously in same area. They stole a small pocket knife that he had just started carrying with him. Suppose he's an idiot for not pulling security on his truck all night or not thinking to take a pocket knife inside every night.

The point is that I fully expect my vehicles to be broken into at some point; however, I don't leave the doors unlocked and I don't leave firearms in them when I have an opportunity to secure them properly. It would sure be a shame to lose some of the equipment in my van, especially the expensive Yaseu I have mounted, but that's why I carry insurance. Generally it is impossible to prevent burglary, the thieves will always seem to find a way, but I'm going to make it hard for them and try to prevent the theft of an item that could cause significant harm to others (such as a firearm).

Unlocked BMVs are common, especially during transitional periods of the year, but those basic concepts of "hide, lock and take" that are posted on signs and stated during PSAs do help deter burglars.

So regardless of where you live, "hide, lock and take."

http://hidelocktake.com/
jskin261
Lockerdown.com
Cancelled
AG
Interesting thread title failed to deliver. Cat burglar =/ some hoodlum that busts out a car window. I was expecting a fearless cat burglar on the rooves of houses in Pebble Creek stealing priceless David Gardner pieces.
Stupe
S
Are you drunk?

The thread title says "car".
Cancelled
AG
Haha
FILO505
AG
queso1 said:

Interesting thread title failed to deliver. Cat burglar =/ some hoodlum that busts out a car window. I was expecting a fearless cat burglar on the rooves of houses in Pebble Creek stealing priceless David Gardner pieces.
AggieJason
AG
tombdaddy504 said:

Suppose he's an idiot for not pulling security on his truck all night or not thinking to take a pocket knife inside every night.

Yes, he is. Keep your valuables somewhere other than your vehicle when you aren't in said vehicle. Lock your doors. It's all about minimizing opportunity. Simple stuff.

Source: 10+ years of car ownership; no BMVs.
BCStalk
KBTX posted about another stolen firearm luckily recovered. Come on people be responsible with your guns.
cledus6150
AG
Well they caught three of them.

kbtx.com/a?a=430160113
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.