Do the citizens of Bryan really realize how big a deal the RELLIS Campus is?

4,263 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cyp0111
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas A&M University wants partner in Bryan data center
http://www.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/Texas-A-M-University-wants-partner-in-Bryan-data-11229836.php
Bryan was already growing mainly because of Texas A&M, but this new RELLIS Campus has totally changed the future of the city for the best. Its really exciting to see what new developments come about because of this.
GSS
Except that the RELLIS campus is not in the City of Bryan (nor the proposed data center), with a ridiculous finger of the city extending to near the campus, with zero infrastructure in place.

Trust Sharp
studioone
bcstx06 said:

Texas A&M University wants partner in Bryan data center
http://www.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/Texas-A-M-University-wants-partner-in-Bryan-data-11229836.php
Bryan was already growing mainly because of Texas A&M, but this new RELLIS Campus has totally changed the future of the city for the best. Its really exciting to see what new developments come about because of this.

actually College Station was growing BECAUSE of bryan...

1. Bryan was here first, and in a stupid move decided not to have a firestation at that end of town, so someone started a new town... but that was back in the 1880s...

2. Its growing still because no one wants to live in bryan for some reason...
Scotch
AG
GSS said:

Except that the RELLIS campus is not in the City of Bryan (nor the proposed data center), with a ridiculous finger of the city extending to near the campus, with zero infrastructure in place.

Well this A&M campus is within Bryan's ETJ, unlike the Bryan campus that opened in 1876, so this time an illegitimate community will be unable to form at the campus edge.
Scotch
AG
studioone said:

Its growing still because no one wants to live in bryan for some reason...

Bryan has been growing steadily since 1860, of course it's southern suburb has grown at a faster clip due to white flight.
crbongos
AG
You might just want to check out Traditions, Miramont, Edgewater, Greenbrier, etc. if you don't think anyone wants to live in Bryan. And now Rellis.
GSS
crbongos said:

You might just want to check out Traditions, Miramont, Edgewater, Greenbrier, etc. if you don't think anyone wants to live in Bryan. And now Rellis.
Very true...and all but Traditions actually contribute to the CoB tax coffers....well, not Rellis. ( I know, I know, some day soon Traditions will actually be an asset on the tax rolls). And they are finally using recycled wastewater for the golf course!
bcstx06
GSS said:

Trust Sharp
RELLIS is a Bryan project no matter how you look at it. The city is already looking to Annex much of that area into the city limits. The location of the campus is the old BRYAN Air-Force Base. The location of the campus has a Bryan address (well the main campus of TAMU also had a Bryan address until College Station came along, but that's another story). If you look at it that way then some of the neighborhoods in South College Station are not in the city limits either, including Indian Lakes.

Back on topic.....

This Data Center story is starting to get big:

Business Digest: Texas A&M System plans Bryan data center

I have even read that the City of Houston is getting pretty jealous about the TAMU Bryan Data Center because UT had proposed to build a similar campus in their city, but the University of Houston ran them off.
techno-ag
AG
bcstx06 said:

GSS said:

Trust Sharp
RELLIS is a Bryan project no matter how you look at it. The city is already looking to Annex much of that area into the city limits. The location of the campus is the old BRYAN Air-Force Base. The location of the campus has a Bryan address (well the main campus of TAMU also had a Bryan address until College Station came along, but that's another story). If you look at it that way then some of the neighborhoods in South College Station are not in the city limits either, including Indian Lakes.

Back on topic.....

This Data Center story is starting to get big:

Business Digest: Texas A&M System plans Bryan data center

I have even read that the City of Houston is getting pretty jealous about the TAMU Bryan Data Center because UT had proposed to build a similar campus in their city, but the University of Houston ran them off.
I would think a data center further inland would be better than one in Houston.
Frio Cielo
crbongos said:

I know it's not all the sales in the area and doesn't include a lot of new builder homes, but the total number of home sales in the regional MLS data for the past calendar year for Bryan was 1045 and for College Station was 1891.
jac4
AG
RELLIS = GAME (wait for it) CHANGER!!!1!1!!!
95_Aggie
AG
Does the OP work for the City of Bryan?
UmustBKidding
Lots of things figure into where is a good place to site a data center. Right now the datacenter in downtown Bryan has some clients that place their redundant storage subsystems there. That site is basically right at the maximum latency to support fiber channel interfaces from Houston. Probably ok for Austin customers also but to far away for Dallas. Unfortunately the speed of light is finite and distance along with the velocity factor of the optical cable matters. Depending on routing of fiber a site at Rellis might support similar deployments. During Ike my BIL's company that has their disaster recovery site hosted in Bryan finished his work for the day and drove here with his laptop, ready to report to the Varisco building in the even that their Houston site was affected.
But in general there is no overwhelming shortage of data center space currently and for most functions Bryan does not have great connectivity. If they were proposing something like a Texas Network Access point where providers could connect and peer with each other I would be more interested.
But in general I don't think having the state competing with private companies is a great idea. My people inside on campus tend to indicate that the existing public/private partnerships are pretty much one sided. The system is providing services at sub market rate and making available real estate that a non friend of the administration could not buy/rent/lease at any price.
PS3D
AGnCS said:

Does the OP work for the City of Bryan?
not sure but he got upset when things on the edge of Bryan (Hilton Garden Inn and First Watch) advertised as being in College Station.
Cyp0111
Very well put.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.