CVB/Experience BCS

5,533 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
meinkee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is the story on the idea of withdrawing support by the two cities ? Can they exist on just hotel motel tax? Who is driving this and why?
CEAg78
AG
Watching.
CS Iron 25
Their funding has been contested in CS budget hearings for years. Council continually asks where is the money going and what is the return on investment? I think they are finally being called out by both cities for not having anything to show for it.
Tailgate88
BlueMiles
AG
Is this the group that (funded those who) came up with "Super. Natural. Goodness."?
91_Aggie
AG
Tough to have a successful convention bureau when city doesn't have a convention center. But the city tried by buying land worth $4.5 million for $9 million. Then sold same land several years later for $7.5 million. GENIUS!
KidDoc
AG
From what I understand the city council (CS not sure about Bryan) wants to know specifically what the heck their ~400K a year is getting. I think they feel that this department is not performing as well as they should based on their funding.

Note: I have no inside information just what I have gleaned from various stories.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
InMyOpinion
KidDoc said:

From what I understand the city council (CS not sure about Bryan) wants to know specifically what the heck their ~400K a year is getting.

According to an Eagle article CS gives the CVB 1.8 million and Bryan gives 300k. I assume most if not all is from Hotel Tax money. Just like most of these entities once the money increases you will start seeing money spent on questionable items.
GoneGirl
AG
meinkee said:

What is the story on the idea of withdrawing support by the two cities ? Can they exist on just hotel motel tax? Who is driving this and why?
They don't get HOT money unless the cities give it to them.
meinkee
Txelsie, thanks for clarification, I misunderstood. Where do they get the rest of their funding or is it only from Cities?

Am I the only person who doesn't understand their move to the lofts at wolf pen Creek? Not very visible and if they don't t need to be visible what is the point? We all use the Google!
GoneGirl
AG
meinkee said:

Txelsie, thanks for clarification, I misunderstood. Where do they get the rest of their funding or is it only from Cities?

Am I the only person who doesn't understand their move to the lofts at wolf pen Creek? Not very visible and if they don't t need to be visible what is the point? We all use the Google!
That I can't tell you. But cities collect the HOT (it's actually collected by the state, but it goes to the city) and they choose how to use it.
meinkee
so the CEO resigned today!!???
carpe vinum
AG
I've bumped into her countless times over the years, she seems very competent and I've always enjoyed visiting with her.
That said I cannot speak to the current situation other than I'm a little surprised, and a little not.
I know there has been some heat on the CVB's performance for many years.
They ran off the last guy and I'm not sure the pressure has ever really abated.

City Managers, Economic Development folks, and even CVB folks are constant targets by incoming elected officials. The folks running for office have to "change something" to get elected. The vast majority of city operations are essentially set in stone.

That only leaves a few targets.

If you run across a City Manager, Economic Development head, or CVB head that has been in that position more than 3-4 election cycles they are pretty dang good at keeping out of the cross hairs of change.
TexAng17
The use of HOT funds are limited to promoting the local tourism, convention and hotel industry. While the taxes collected are provided to the cities, the expenditure of these funds are stipulated here, http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TX/htm/TX.351.htm. See 351.101 in this link,"Use of Tax Revenue".

The CVB uses these funds to promote BCS as a convention/conference host for various state and national conferences. This involves travel to state/national conferences to present bids to host conferences here. This, along with securing non-A&M sporting events like 7 on 7 tourney, is what brings "heads in beds" to College Station outside of the 6-7 weekends of Aggie football. The CVB staff also works many of these conferences and events, when hosted in BCS.

Tourism is not a hot ticket for BCS b/c this is not exactly a tourist destination. (No beaches, no pro sports, no major recreational attractions, or historical significance.) There is no event outside of A&M that either city hosts that draws many overnight guests - certainly not Texas Reds or Christmas in the Park.

I have never worked for a CVB but started my career many years ago in public administration which is why I am familiar with operations of CVBs, economic development corporations, city management, etc.

As for the management of the CVB, it sounds like the CEO was subject to local politicians who have little understanding of how a CVB should operate. (Not familiar enough with this CVB to know whether budget request is reasonable so no comment on that.) I hope the local hospitality industry doesn't suffer from lack of funding directed toward recruiting business on the 45 weeks/weekends that don't involve Aggie football.

P

techno-ag
AG
TexAng17 said:

The use of HOT funds are limited to promoting the local tourism, convention and hotel industry. While the taxes collected are provided to the cities, the expenditure of these funds are stipulated here, http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TX/htm/TX.351.htm. See 351.101 in this link,"Use of Tax Revenue".

The CVB uses these funds to promote BCS as a convention/conference host for various state and national conferences. This involves travel to state/national conferences to present bids to host conferences here. This, along with securing non-A&M sporting events like 7 on 7 tourney, is what brings "heads in beds" to College Station outside of the 6-7 weekends of Aggie football. The CVB staff also works many of these conferences and events, when hosted in BCS.

Tourism is not a hot ticket for BCS b/c this is not exactly a tourist destination. (No beaches, no pro sports, no major recreational attractions, or historical significance.) There is no event outside of A&M that either city hosts that draws many overnight guests - certainly not Texas Reds or Christmas in the Park.

I have never worked for a CVB but started my career many years ago in public administration which is why I am familiar with operations of CVBs, economic development corporations, city management, etc.

As for the management of the CVB, it sounds like the CEO was subject to local politicians who have little understanding of how a CVB should operate. (Not familiar enough with this CVB to know whether budget request is reasonable so no comment on that.) I hope the local hospitality industry doesn't suffer from lack of funding directed toward recruiting business on the 45 weeks/weekends that don't involve Aggie football.

P

7 on 7 is good. Don't forget the firefighters. I think we could host more high school sports and sports clubs events.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
The CVB has nothing to do with the firefighters coming here. That's TEEX, and would happen if the CVB dried up and blew away before lunch. As for high school events, unless they're multiple day, those folks are here for a few hours and gone. Restaurants will benefit, but not hotels. They play here because it's somewhat strategically located between the participating schools.
techno-ag
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

The CVB has nothing to do with the firefighters coming here. That's TEEX, and would happen if the CVB dried up and blew away before lunch. As for high school events, unless they're multiple day, those folks are here for a few hours and gone. Restaurants will benefit, but not hotels. They play here because it's somewhat strategically located between the participating schools.
I didn't say the CVB was responsible for it, just don't forget those are important visitors. High school age club tournaments sports like baseball and volleyball are indeed multi day.
UmustBKidding
Not a CVB apologist by any means, but its hard to evaluate what exactly cities get for their X dollars. But they do attempt to recruit events to the local area where both cities have the hotel/motel tax rate dialed to maximum, and not great amenities to drive them here. Ya someone my go to a meeting planners convention in Vegas and not stay at Motel 6, but lets find out.
One advantage the CVB has is they represent the interest of both cities to potential visitors. For instance there was a local two day basket ball tournament, but because of its size it required more venues for their preliminary rounds than either city could provide enough of. And it was a CVB employee that was calling me on Friday morning asking for suggestions for a venue to replace one that backed out with less than four hours before the first game. And at the 7 on 7 tournament there were CVB people helping in many capacities beyond just getting the mob to town.
I firmly believe they should be accountable, its real money they spend even though its restricted in how it can be used. But having been to "we want our share of the HOT loot" council meetings, I believe that the CVB's allotment is one of the better justified expenditures. Other options to spend the money on include, new entities in each city to try to snipe potential victims away from the other, more Tacky art in public places, Expanded Wolf Pen drainage ditch and swamp hole, there are a million of them. I still am not convinced that dialing the HOT rate to minimum and running a ad campaign trumpeting that we have the lowest hotel tax rate in the state, hold your event here would not be as effective as what is being done now.

Fonzie Scheme
AG
No, you didn't. But you commented on a thread about the CVB. There was a mention of 7-on-7-like events being a product of CVB efforts, which you then lauded and added the firefighters into. The implication was that the CVB was somehow responsible for firefighter training, which they are not. And I'm pretty sure there was no hint of anyone discounting what firefighter training brings to the community. But, neither does it have any relevance to the discussion about the CVB.
techno-ag
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Not a CVB apologist by any means, but its hard to evaluate what exactly cities get for their X dollars. But they do attempt to recruit events to the local area where both cities have the hotel/motel tax rate dialed to maximum, and not great amenities to drive them here. Ya someone my go to a meeting planners convention in Vegas and not stay at Motel 6, but lets find out.
One advantage the CVB has is they represent the interest of both cities to potential visitors. For instance there was a local two day basket ball tournament, but because of its size it required more venues for their preliminary rounds than either city could provide enough of. And it was a CVB employee that was calling me on Friday morning asking for suggestions for a venue to replace one that backed out with less than four hours before the first game. And at the 7 on 7 tournament there were CVB people helping in many capacities beyond just getting the mob to town.
I firmly believe they should be accountable, its real money they spend even though its restricted in how it can be used. But having been to "we want our share of the HOT loot" council meetings, I believe that the CVB's allotment is one of the better justified expenditures. Other options to spend the money on include, new entities in each city to try to snipe potential victims away from the other, more Tacky art in public places, Expanded Wolf Pen drainage ditch and swamp hole, there are a million of them. I still am not convinced that dialing the HOT rate to minimum and running a ad campaign trumpeting that we have the lowest hotel tax rate in the state, hold your event here would not be as effective as what is being done now.

This is good to hear. Too often we only get the griping about the CVB. Glad to hear the other side for a change.
GoneGirl
AG
A lot of cities are either nixing the external CVB or considering it and having the function in-house, with a City Tourism Dept. - More control of how the dollars are spent and tourism overlaps other city functions - especially as cities are getting more into the business of water parks, convention centers, etc.

I personally think that BCS benefits from one CVB between the two cities and the university - it's really hard to separate the three.

"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
techno-ag
AG
TxElsie said:

A lot of cities are either nixing the external CVB or considering it and having the function in-house, with a City Tourism Dept. - More control of how the dollars are spent and tourism overlaps other city functions - especially as cities are getting more into the business of water parks, convention centers, etc.

I personally think that BCS benefits from one CVB between the two cities and the university - it's really hard to separate the three.

FlyRod
halibut sinclair
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.