Looking for a church

3,539 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CactusThomas
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy. I have been in this area for roughly 20 years and have gone to the same church most of that time. Unfortunately, this church has dwindled down so much that I feel that it is time to find a new home. I have done some research, but here is what I am looking for. I am a divorced, 40 yr old single dad who has his kids every other weekend.
  • A church that has a great kids and youth program (my kids are 13 and 6)
  • A church that is gospel based. I don't want motivational speeches on Sunday mornings, I want sermons.
  • A church that has actual Sunday School classes for like minded adults. In all the research I have done, it seems that most have gone to "Life Groups". This is all fine and good unless you have a work schedule like mine. So Sunday morning is my only time to go.
I know it seems like I am being needy, but this is what I feel will find me the best church home for myself and my kids.
Rearview
AG
Bethel Lutheran Church in Bryan. Not too big, not too small. We have a large Sunday morning Bible class that is very in depth led by our Pastor, a good Sunday school program for the kids and you'll get the Bible each and every week.

www.blcbcs.org (we have a new website coming soon)
RPJ83
You might check out Faith Bible Church, we are a smaller church but we're growing. Since it's a Bible church the sermons are straight from the Bible. We do have small groups in the spring and fall during the week, but we also have Sunday school on Sunday mornings (currently on summer break) and a solid and growing children's program and an awesome youth program. brazosfaith.org
Justin2010
AG
Brace yourself for 2010 recommendations.
Ag97
AG
I'll second Bethel Lutheran. We fit all those points you brought up. We've been growing in size year after year and our core beliefs and values haven't changed in the 500 years since the reformation. We preach law and gospel, so the services are more in line with what you would consider traditional services and not geared towards what I would consider modern, contemporary entertainment services. If you are interested, we are having a our annual vacation bible school starting Sunday through Wednesday in the evenings. It's obviously geared towards kids but we will also be having an adult class that usually has between 40 and 50 adults attending any given night. Good luck in your search and I hope you give us a shot.
bigh281
Christ UMC has a GREAT youth program.
bigh281
Christ UMC also has many options for Sunday school on Sunday mornings for all ages.
studioone
Central baptist.
summergal
www.am-umc.org

Our Ministers are wonderful and their messages are great. Our Children, Familiy and Youth Ministries are great too. Traditional Sunday school for adults. There are 3 services each Sunday. 8:30 very traditional, 9:45 in the Great Hall/Gym more contemporary and the 11 am service. We just started a couple of Bible studies last Wednesday, one of them is a pastor led study and it is excellent. Youth and children have activities while this study is going on. VBS and Music Makers are in July.

Come and give us a try!
toolshed
AG
Central Baptist would meet all those needs.

We have a great youth and children's program. We meet Sunday morning for a normal worship service at 9:45. Our music is progressive in that we don't sing standard hymns, but we also don't jam out with smoke and lights. We have guitars, drums, piano, etc. with a supporting choir and praise team.

We have Sunday school classes on Sunday morning after church, 11-12. There are probably a few classes you could attend. We are in a parents of school aged kids class (teacher is a Randy wilson). It used to be preschool aged, but the kids got older and we didn't move classes, so we just changed names. We have a mix of married couples, some singles, some spouses that attend and their spouse does not attend church, etc.. there isn't a stigma for someone who is divorced. There are also a couple of men's classes that you may enjoy as well.

We have home groups/ life groups that you can chose to attend if you wish, but I think things are going to change up a little this coming fall. I don't know the details.

We don't meet corporately on Sunday night, but offer bible studies and kids events/ AWANA on Sunday night. Wednesday night has taken the place of our old Sunday Night worship service.

If you would like more details I'd be happy to share them. Hope you find what you are searching for and a church you can plug into.

Cancelled
AG
St. Thomas Aquinas fits those criteria.
Gigem314
AG
First Baptist Bryan also has a great children's and youth program, plus Sunday school.
Stupe
S
Central is building a massive children's wing right now.

I agree about First Baptist, as well.
Tex Aggie
AG
Bethel Lutheran
justalocal
What church do you go to now?
JR Ewing
AG
Another Bethel Lutheran Church fan here...
bionat80
First United Methodist Bryan!
Traditional and Contemporary worship services
Wonderful children and youth ministries.
Traditional Sunday School classes and also weekly LIFE groups (Living in Faith Everyday)
Excellent men's ministries too.

http://www.fumcbryan.org/

https://www.facebook.com/fumcbryan/

I am a staff member who would be happy to get you connected

farmersfight
AG
https://www.facebook.com/johnbcrist/videos/1026079677527111/
mwm
Listen carefully for His voice. He has a place for you and your family to be fed and to serve. Bless you in your search.
La Fours
AG
I recommend Westminster Presbyterian. It's small compared to the ones mentioned in the thread so far. But our church has a lot of families with kids of all ages. From new born to high school. We also have several Sunday school class options for adults.

http://wpcbryan.org

I am happy to share my story with finding Westminster and what led my wife and I to joining Westminster with our two children. You can email me at dlm at tamu dot edu and I am happy to answer any questions.

Sincerely,
Derek
CactusThomas
AG
Grace Bible or GTFO

That's Go Through Frustration Often
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.