New Gold's at Tower Point

6,434 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wareagle044
magical snail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have any info about the new Gold's Gym opening up at Tower Point?

I've read some disappointing things like the pool will only be 2 lanes, and there will be no cardio cinema as rumored previously. No idea if these are true or not.
BlazeHarper
The web page has some pictures but not sure if it is the new location. If that is the pool looks like two wide lanes which would be easy to split so 4 total swimmers. At Rock Prairie we split lanes when busy and when 3 or more circular swim but that was the rule conveniently written on the wall.

I also see the "enhanced group training program" free for 30 days if you join before June 1st. It looks like the smaller group exercise GOLDS-FIT would be in this and maybe the cycling GOLDS-CYCLE which I am not sure what that is. Is it like RPM (spin class) or something more "enhanced".

I think it would suck if they charged extra for spin class. I like a one price membership that everything falls under. One thing that was lame about the fitness dome is they started charging for boot camps. When all your doing is the boot camps and NOT using anything else in the gym then paying more for something is lame.

Sure we will find out soon enough. Hopefully they will still have free parking.

http://www.goldsgym.com/towerpoint/
MB19
AG
Word is that they hope to open around June 7. So who knows.
befitter
RPM will not be offered at Tower Point. Other GGX should be offered though. Golds Cycle, Golds Fit, and Golds Burn will all cost extra after the initial 30 days of the freebie. Pool is 2 lanes. It should be a great gym.
NellCote71
My trainer at Gold's said that the cycling class is based on Soul Cycle and that Gold's Burn is like Orange Theory. Gold's Fit is its version of cross fit, and is currently offered at the CS Gold's. I think, but may be wrong, that you pay one fee to any combination of the three.
BlazeHarper
Looks like your wallet can also get an exercise at the new Golds.
I just want a spin class. $20 per class is not something I am interested in.
Not sure why the pool would only have two lanes. Maybe they will have 30% incline treadmills.
I dunno

http://www.goldsstudio.com/pricing/

CS78
Don't sign up if you think there is any chance you might move. I was a member at the other CS location. Moved out of state due to divorce to an area with no Golds. Sent the required letter to Golds corporate office saying I was moving out of town, closed the checking account here in town, found out 6 months later Golds continued to withdraw from my closed checking account. Messed up my credit for years. Never another penny! I hope the new one dies a fast death!!!!!
Ribbed Paultz
Really disappointing to hear that the pool is only two lanes. That's smaller than Aerofit on Longmire. What's the point of building such a huge facility if you put a rinky dink pool in it?

Also disappointing to hear that all classes are extra. Does it cost extra to go to classes at the other CS location?
NellCote71
Ribbed Paultz said:

Really disappointing to hear that the pool is only two lanes. That's smaller than Aerofit on Longmire. What's the point of building such a huge facility if you put a rinky dink pool in it?

Also disappointing to hear that all classes are extra. Does it cost extra to go to classes at the other CS location?
The normal class structure is the same, at no charge. The only thing extra are the classes that are part of Gold's Studio, the ones based on SoulCycle, cross fit, and Orange Theory. Each of those are offered in the larger cities in three different gyms, which you would have to pay the fees and membership for. So: normal weight, Zumba, stretch, functional classes are covered in your membership, no extra cost. Gold's Studio costs extra.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Are we still getting a YMCA?
FlyRod
Happy for a new Gold's to alleviate the pressure on the other two.
bushytailed
AG
From my conversations with the Gold's Area GGX Manager...

Gold's is not offering RPM at its new locations (San Marcos, Tower Point, etc.). Gold's Cycle will be offered at the TP location for an additional fee. The other Les Mills programs (Body Pump, Body Combat, etc.) will be offered at TP.

RPM will continue to be offered at the other two BCS locations (Bryan and CS-Texas Ave.). They are also considering launching another Les Mills program, Sprint, which would be a HIIT workout but on a bike. This would be for the Bryan and CS-Texas Ave locations.

BrandoC
AG
I am in the same boat. What type of crowd has been at the Tower Pointe location?
beb08
AG
Went the morning it opened and it was pretty packed at 6:00am!
Went on Saturday about 6 and it was pretty dead.

Brandamne
It's nothing special. I miss the Dome!
Broncos
It's pretty diverse. I've been going mid-day. Anywhere from 10-4. You've got a lot of the Fitness Dome crowd and some of the skips leg day, always does arms day crowd from the original CS Golds.

The annoying part is there always seem to be some groups more interesting in taking Instagram photos with the equipment than actually use it.

I've found going after lunch and before the 5 o'clock crowd has been the best.
UglyScientist
Agreed. I don't like change so I was already going into this with a negative attitude, but I am not impressed. It's very loud and cramped - I dislike how close all the cardio machines are to each other. I was hoping for more classes or classes offered at more times, but there isn't much that works with my schedule unfortunately. The women's bathroom doesn't have any private changing rooms and I don't always feel like exposing the public to my grotesque body.

Obviously all of these are strictly my personal opinion, but there hasn't been anything that I see as an improvement over the dome.
Broncos
Interesting. I like that they've got louder music. I also think it's pretty open, aside from the cardio machines, for how crowded it can be.

Agree on the treadmill area. It's pretty tight.
UglyScientist
You're right about the rest of the gym being open, which is nice. I do also have to admit that the new ellipticals are nice. I just needed to complain about something
wareagle044
I signed up for a membership online on May 8 for a membership at Tower Point that began on June 5.

I was billed at that time for monthly dues. I was billed again on June 5 for monthly dues.

Looks I'll be there tomorrow to work that out as well.

Anyone else experience the same issue? If you haven't checked, you might want to.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.