Recommendation for locksmith?

884 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by UmustBKidding
rc_cat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any recommendations for a non-emergency locksmith to help open a car trunk that no longer recognizes the key?

Thanks.
double b
AG
Locksmith Technologies
ksp
rc_cat said:

Any recommendations for a non-emergency locksmith to help open a car trunk that no longer recognizes the key?

Thanks.
Might not be a key issue, the mechanism inside the key cylinder could be froze and stuck due to build up over time. Squirt some WD40 in and then try again in about an hr and see if it frees up before paying a lock smith
rc_cat
Thanks for both recommendations - I'll try the WD40 first,
UmustBKidding
Skip the wd40 and use powered graphite. Had many locks quit working because of being filled with wd40 and the like during their life and end up collecting grime and gum up later. If already gummed up will have to clean out.with solvent to fix it right, or continue to wd40 for.the rest of its life
rc_cat
UmustBKidding said:

Skip the wd40 and use powered graphite. Had many locks quit working because of being filled with wd40 and the like during their life and end up collecting grime and gum up later. If already gummed up will have to clean out.with solvent to fix it right, or continue to wd40 for.the rest of its life

Does your answer change if I tell you it has a very, very short life? Thanks for the info.
UmustBKidding
Trading it in, wd40 or pb-blaster.
I would apply to key and insert/remove a few dozen times and try it before going total.soak
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.