What was at the location before Dennys?

10,574 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PS3D
Frio Cielo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
?
tman2
AG
Bombay Bicycle Club?
Aggie
AG
Don't believe it was Bombay bicycle club.

I don't for sure remember but I'm thinking BBC was at the location that is now a nail salon at SWP and Texas Ave.
it was BBC then Pelicans wharf I believe... Could be wrong
duffelpud
AG
It was BBC. When it became Climpy's the manager there moved south and became manager at Dread Blobster (that has now become Loopy Torteeuh).
meezermom
It was Bombay Bicycle Club. Pelican's Wharf eventually became Royer's and then morphed into many useless things like a nail salon. I miss Bombay.
halibut sinclair
Yep, Bombay Bicycle Club is correct. Before that, it was Julie's Place.
victory
AG
didnt they have a murder in Bombay Bicycle Club??
MiMi
S
There was a murder at the adult bookstore that was next door.
halibut sinclair
victory said:

The night manager was killed at Julie's Place in 1987.
Anonymous Source
S
There was a murder at Julie's Pace in 1987. It closed and became BBC.
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/07/us/******ed-man-executed-for-manager-s-murder.html

8 letter "R" word for "mentally incapacitated goes where the asterisks are
Gig 'Em
Kitten With A Whip
meezermom said:

It was Bombay Bicycle Club. Pelican's Wharf eventually became Royer's and then morphed into many useless things like a nail salon. I miss Bombay.
You're thinking about a different place. Bombay Bicycle Club was never at the Pelican's Wharf location, but you are correct on the other businesses that were in that location.
Anonymous Source
S
Pelican's Wharf became Pasketti's
Pasketti's closed and it became Royers

I think Royers was the last restaurant at that location.
Gig 'Em
Kitten With A Whip
I miss Royer's, it was actually pretty good.
SW AG80
AG
Saber Inn used to be where Denny's is now.
PS3D
SW AG80 said:

Incorrect, Saber Inn became Taco Cabana.

CollegeStationAgFan said:

After Pasghetti's, it was Royers', and then was vacant for a long time. NailSpa opened 2004-2005ish.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
PS3D said:

SW AG80 said:

After Pasghetti's, it was Royers', and then was vacant for a long time. NailSpa opened 2004-2005ish.
Ahhhh....Pasghetti's.

Such a wonderful place for a poor college student. The future wife and I ate there quite often.
studioone
bombay was where denny's is now.... I used to sing (gasp) karaoke there...

ok... i did it once...

and only cause everyone else was drunk and i was dragged kicking and screaming...

it was the entire editorial board of the batt....

good times.... *shudder*....

nail salon is where pelicans wharf used to be... only seafood place in town back in the 70s..

d
australopithecus robustus
Except Fish Richard's.....
australopithecus robustus
Man o man did Pasghetti's suck!!
jrhmc
AG
studioone said:

bombay was where denny's is now.... I used to sing (gasp) karaoke there...

ok... i did it once...

and only cause everyone else was drunk and i was dragged kicking and screaming...

it was the entire editorial board of the batt....

good times.... *shudder*....

nail salon is where pelicans wharf used to be... only seafood place in town back in the 70s..

d
My husband sang Elvis karaoke there when we were dating. And I still married him.
CEAg78
AG
PS3D said:

SW AG80 said:

More importantly, the Grapevine was originally in the Saber Inn which became Taco Cabana.
Scotch
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Yep, Bombay Bicycle Club is correct. Before that, it was Julie's Place.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.
Scotch
AG
halibut sinclair said:

victory said:

The night manager was killed at Julie's Place in 1987.

Two for two, bravo.

No offense, but some who have answered either haven't been here long enough to provide, or can't properly recall, accurate information.
Scotch
AG
Kitten With A Whip said:

meezermom said:

You're thinking about a different place. Bombay Bicycle Club was never at the Pelican's Wharf location, but you are correct on the other businesses that were in that location.

This poster was correcting previous incorrect information, not saying that Bombay became PW. They did bounce back and forth, though, so it was a confusing read.
PS3D
CEAg78 said:

PS3D said:

SW AG80 said:

More importantly, the Grapevine was originally in the Saber Inn which became Taco Cabana.
I've heard this a lot but from what I can find, Saber Inn had its own restaurant (serving things including steaks). Grapevine was down the street at Eisenhower and Live Oak.
PBR
Saber Inn never had a restairant......
war hymn aggie
AG
Ahhhh, the Saber Inn.

As an 8 yr old, I played Little League. We were the Astros. Saber Inn was our sponsor.

After the season was over, the team had a swim party there. As my luck would have it, I had tonsillitis & my mom wouldn't let me go in the pool. :-(

I think I still have my Astros shirt buried in my attic somewhere. Back then, most kids just wore the t-shirt with jeans & maybe some PF flyers.
barbara314tx
Originally I believe that location was "Sambo's", then sat empty for a while, then Julies, where yes the manager was murdered, then BBC
Corporal Punishment
AG

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/07/us/******ed-man-executed-for-manager-s-murder.html

Horrifying...from tdcj records:

"Convicted in the January 1987 robbery-slaying of 29-year-old Beatrice Louise Huling, manager of Julie's Place restaurant in College Station. Washing, a dishwasher at the restaurant, stabbed Huling 85 times after closing and then stole $628.00 dollars from the restaurant safe and cash register. Witnesses reported seeing Washington with several $100.00 dollar bills days after the murder. Police also discovered Huling's blood on the pants and boots Washington wore to work the day of the murder. He was arrested at his aunt's home in Bryan on February 25, 1987."
Corporal Punishment
AG
And from FindLaw:

"At 2:30 a.m. that same morning, Michael Jennings was in the parking lot next to Julie's Place. He heard an object hit the ground and went to investigate. Jennings found a purse and immediately called the police. The police arrived shortly thereafter and found Beatrice Huling's name and address in the purse and her car in the parking lot. The restaurant was closed and locked. The police ultimately entered the restaurant and discovered Huling's dead body ten to fifteen feet from the back door, lying in a pool of blood, with her head next to the base of the office safe. She had multiple stab wounds.

The investigation of the crime scene and the autopsy showed that Huling's hands had been tied with apron strings and that she had suffered eighty-five stab wounds, seven of which were fatal. The medical examiner testified at trial that the murder weapon had a five-and-a-half inch blade and that he believed it took Huling ten to fifteen minutes to die. The investigation further found no signs of forced entry into the restaurant, and that $628.00 had been stolen."
PS3D
barbara314tx said:

Originally I believe that location was "Sambo's", then sat empty for a while, then Julies, where yes the manager was murdered, then BBC

Sambo's was at 1045 Texas Avenue (later Wings N More/Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas) before being torn for Raising Cane's (Newspapers.com link, look at the OCR text section)

PBR said:

Saber Inn never had a restairant......

Quote:

THE PLACE FOR THE FINEST STEAKS IN TOWN IS SABER INN RESTAURANT *2.50 Complete Dinner OPEN SUNDAY 701 Hwy.6 So.
(Link)
Quote:

aber Inn and Restaurant, <01 Highway 6 South, College Station, includes 36 air eon- dioned rooms with carpet, television, telephones, a swimming pool and a restaurant specializing in steaks and Italian foods
(link)

Rapier108

Ah yes, good old Terry Washington. Relative of mine when to school with him and said everyone in the class knew he was going to end up in prison if not on death row. The guy was not r*******, just evil.
AggiePhil
AG
Man. I've been inside the back of that restaurant. Creepy.
NativeTxn
AggiePhil said:

Man. I've been inside the back of that restaurant. Creepy.
I've been in that place twice since it became Denny's and I am always creeped out just knowing what happened there. No matter the name on the building, no matter who owns it or how much renovation they do, I just can't shake that feeling.
75AG
AG
barbara314tx said:

Nope. Sambo's was where Chili's is today.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.