What was at the location before Dennys?

10,576 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PS3D
TXAGBQ76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, they did. Ate spaghetti there several times
halibut sinclair
75AG said:

barbara314tx said:

Originally I believe that location was "Sambo's", then sat empty for a while, then Julies, where yes the manager was murdered, then BBC
Nope. Sambo's was where Chili's is today.

Nope. As was said earlier Sambos was where Wings n more was across from campus. IIRC Oakridge Smokehouse was at the Chili's spot but I might be off.
75AG
AG
halibut sinclair said:

75AG said:

barbara314tx said:

Originally I believe that location was "Sambo's", then sat empty for a while, then Julies, where yes the manager was murdered, then BBC
Nope. Sambo's was where Chili's is today.

Nope. As was said earlier Sambos was where Wings n more was across from campus. IIRC Oakridge Smokehouse was at the Chili's spot but I might be off.
Could be right. I'm still feeling the effects of all that tiger butter.
halibut sinclair
Looking through some old threads, Oakridge Smokehouse was in the general area of Lupe Tortilla. Not sure what, if anything, preceded Chili's in that location.
75AG
AG
Sambos was at 1045 Texas Ave. Thats where Raising Cane's is today. So I was way off. http://www.sambosonline.com/sambos_texas.htm
halibut sinclair
75AG said:

Sambos was at 1045 Texas Ave. Thats where Raising Cane's is today. So I was way off. http://www.sambosonline.com/sambos_texas.htm

And where wings n more was. PS3D posted that earlier.
75AG
AG
Oh yeah.
Kendall Rogers
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Looking through some old threads, Oakridge Smokehouse was in the general area of Lupe Tortilla. Not sure what, if anything, preceded Chili's in that location.

Richard Smith started his real estate business where Chili's is now.

From his bio: "Smith began his own realty company in 1970 in a garage on Texas Avenue where the Chili's Restaurant now sits. In 1986, Smith realized the Bryan-College Station market was growing and his company needed a name that is nationally recognized. Smith became a Coldwell Banker affiliate; his franchise became the top-selling Coldwell Banker United, Realtors operation."

He has said that the location did not have bathrooms so he would meet his clients down at the restaurant in the Ramada Inn.
war hymn aggie
AG
proof that Saber Inn had it's own restaurant:

techno-ag
AG
PBR said:

Saber Inn never had a restairant......
halibut sinclair
Corporal Punishment
AG
I called that phone number and got a busy signal.
studioone
NativeTxn said:

AggiePhil said:

Man. I've been inside the back of that restaurant. Creepy.
I've been in that place twice since it became Denny's and I am always creeped out just knowing what happened there. No matter the name on the building, no matter who owns it or how much renovation they do, I just can't shake that feeling.

Well....there was a murder where chef chos is back in the 1980s...

Texas coinexchange robbery
CEAg78
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Wonder what the date would be on that. Looks very '60s.

When I came to school in 1974, The Grapevine was there, facing Texas Ave. Great sangria. And salad. And twice-baked potato.

They built the place on Live Oak when the Saber Inn was torn down. Maybe 1980-ish.
techno-ag
AG
CEAg78 said:

war hymn aggie said:

Wonder what the date would be on that. Looks very '60s.

When I came to school in 1974, The Grapevine was there, facing Texas Ave. Great sangria. And salad. And twice-baked potato.

They built the place on Live Oak when the Saber Inn was torn down. Maybe 1980-ish.
The "VIctor 6" prefix was for 846. They used the mnemonics back in the day when operators dialed the numbers for you. Here's an interesting article:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/61116/why-did-old-phone-numbers-start-letters
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
Kitten With A Whip
Does anyone remember the old Ladies and Lords building? I know it was roughly in the same area of Chili's, Cain's, etc. Where exactly was it and what other businesses were there? I only remember Ladies and Lords, but I know there were others.
GoneGirl
AG
CEAg78 said:

PS3D said:

SW AG80 said:

Saber Inn used to be where Denny's is now.
Incorrect, Saber Inn became Taco Cabana.

More importantly, the Grapevine was originally in the Saber Inn which became Taco Cabana.
Wasn't the Grapevine further back?
UmustBKidding
Believe its was:
Oakridge Smokehouse
Stuff
Mama's pizza
Papa's pizzza
Lady & Lords
Torn down along with bus stations/Computer access
On the boarder & parking lot
UmustBKidding
No grapevine was originally in the lobby area of the sabre inn, fronting Tx Ave. Grapevine moved and another restaurant moved into their old location and shortly thereafter motel was sold and site cleared for Taco Cabana & Los Baroninos.

PS3D
UmustBKidding said:

No grapevine was originally in the lobby area of the sabre inn, fronting Tx Ave. Grapevine moved and another restaurant moved into their old location and shortly thereafter motel was sold and site cleared for Taco Cabana & Los Baroninos.

Aerial photos show that the Saber Inn was still around in the very early 1980s, I believe that Mapping Historic Aggieland does show it as such. By the 1983 phone book, "Baker Street Restaurant & Bar" was operating there. (Brazos CAD link, search for 201 Live Oak if the link doesn't work)

La Barronena (now Vy's) was at 102 Live Oak, but that wasn't built until the mid-1990s (Brazos CAD). It was a vacant lot behind Saber Inn in the early 1980s and years prior.

The Grapevine's current building was built in 1980 a few years before Saber Inn was torn down (see Brazos CAD), owned by Patsy Perry. In 1974, when the restaurant was founded, it was at 315 Texas Avenue (link) somewhere in the vicinity of the Super 8 hotel, and sold other items beyond sandwiches (like specialty cheeses and wines). The number was 693-3335, not that it matters today except it's different from the Saber Inn's number (which existed concurrently with Grapevine and served different food).

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.