Self check outs in stores

5,015 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Goose83
AgTrip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else hate using these? I miss the days of customer service and getting to know cashiers at local stores.
ontheedge
I don't hate them. I think they are great. I do miss customer service but a checkout clerk doesn't always mean GCS.
Birddog
AG
They rarely work, and if they do they say "wait for assistance". I prefer the real person and bypass the self checks all the time.

What gets me is at Lowes they may have two people manning the self checkouts and only two registers open, doesn't make any sense.
redd38
AG
I love them, they work great for me, much faster. I'm just annoyed by the idiots that don't know what they're doing that are using them and messing up the whole system.
AgTrip
I can see the reason behind them but when they only keep one cashier lane open and it's so deep you pretty much have to use them...they suck! I don't want to look up produce on a computer screen.
OnlyANobody
I don't mind them if I have like 5 items and no wine. The time that it takes for an attendant to come override the age verification negates any time saved by not waiting in the express lane.

That said, it is nice that they've gotten the sensitivity on the "place your item in the bag" side more refined so that it doesn't think you're trying to steal everything.
InMyOpinion
If a store has them, I use them. Never have any issues and much quicker. As much as I enjoy quick conversations with some of the cashiers, it is really frustrating when the person in front of me has to discuss all 8 of their grand children and then pull out the checkbook or argue over the price of an item to save a quarter.
FlyRod
I definitely do not miss cashiers who don't know the prices of items, who ring up the wrong prices, and "forget" to put all the items in the bags before you exit the store.

And as the poster above noted, the check out line yakkers...don't miss those at all.
K2T2
Do you only visit the grocery store and Home Depot?
AgTrip
BrandoC
AG
What?!? You enjoy waiting in line for what seems like days? You must either have alot of time on your hands or retired because I dont have that kind of time to spend in stores. Get in, get out.
Crusader
Here's a simple solution to your problem. If you like them, use them. If you don't, don't. Next problem?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I'd much rather use the self checkout than wait for the slow pokes in front of me that have to write out a check, and then wait for them to pick up their bags. Let me do it myself so I'm and out quickly and don't have to deal with idiots.
95_Aggie
AG
Soon your only choice will be self checkout or robots
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
wouldn't like a store that has nothing but self check out.

but i certainly like stores that give the option of cashier vs self check out. i like to throw myself curveballs and tell myself i'm doing self check out and then go into a line with a cashier. feels like i'm living on the edge a bit and getting some excitement into my life.
Frio Cielo
It would be interesting if they have studied how much theft occurs at those self-checkouts. I was at Krogers the other day and I saw a lady transfer an item from the buggy directly into her bag. I thought I might have been mistaken but she did it a second time.
AgTrip
BrandoC said:

What?!? You enjoy waiting in line for what seems like days? You must either have alot of time on your hands or retired because I dont have that kind of time to spend in stores. Get in, get out.
I want MORE cashiers instead of self check out, I want the customer service. I want to have my stuff bagged, and get out.
rsa
AG
I'd be more apt to use them if they gave me a discount. I'm doing the checker's job, so I should be rewarded.
jja79
AG
I use them all the time. Considerably faster in my opinion than the express lane.

Only complaint is someone with 14 items and on the phone the whole time.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I don't like that the HEB at Towerpoint doesn't have them yet.

Sure, they offer curbside and will walk your groceries out to you so you don't have to waste time, but they won't put in the self-checkout lanes....
Kitten With A Whip
I want good customer service or cheaper prices. If I have to do the shopping, unload the cart, ring up each item, bag them all then schlep it all out to my car and put it in the trunk, I damn well be paying A LOT less than I normally would.

Oh, and I want someone to pump my gas, check/refill my oil if necessary and clean my windshield like they did for my mom when I was a kid! I would happily tip for that kind of service!
jja79
AG
The self service grocery check out isn't nearly that big of a deal. The convenience is savings enough for me.
Oogway
The next time any of y'all have to wait on some of us 'idiots,' you may wish to do some deep breathing exercises. I am getting concerned about your blood pressure....
SECeded
Rex Racer
AG
Married an Aggie Lady said:

Kitten With A Whip said:

I want good customer service or cheaper prices. If I have to do the shopping, unload the cart, ring up each item, bag them all then schlep it all out to my car and put it in the trunk, I damn well be paying A LOT less than I normally would.

Oh, and I want someone to pump my gas, check/refill my oil if necessary and clean my windshield like they did for my mom when I was a kid! I would happily tip for that kind of service!

The gas station that provides all those services in College Station is near the Post Office and next the WalMart that provides no service (AND makes everyone take their receipts out of their wallets again on the way out the door as an added hassle).

I don't know if WalMart's alleged good prices are really worth their hassles but they pitch good prices to match their lousy shopping experience so maybe it's true. I also don't know if Sevcik's gas prices are worth it when getting gas and basic auto service. But the worst service around for groceries & junk is in proximity to the most complete service around for a gas station. That makes it very easy to be treated like both a prince and frog in the same ten minute period. So Aggieland has that going for it.
...which is nice.

Thanks, Chip!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Kitten With A Whip said:

Self checkout lanes are not for people doing the weekly shopping. They are for people buying only a handful of items and don't want to wait in line with people with carts full of groceries. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to be done checking out. Don't see how that convenience means you deserve drastically lower prices on your items.
justalocal
My husband hates them. I don't mind them but I know how to use them.

As far as baggers go, it's 50/50. Fifty percent of the time someone bags and groups correctly. The other 50%, my colds are not bagged together, meat thrown in with other non-meat items, etc.

I find Kroger consistently has baggers. I usually end of up bagging my groceries at HEB. I've also been known to bag other people's groceries at HEB to move the line I'm in along. When I do that, they sometimes get a bagger over quick but there have been a few times where I've bagged the persons groceries myself, then bagged my own. I don't think I've gotten a thank you either.
BrazosBull
AG
Just another job eliminator. We need jobs in America and need to individually support jobs for real people . I refuse to go thru a self check line even if it may be quicker and more convenient by a bit. Each American taxpayer pays every time we eliminate someone else's
Job by our personal desires for convenience
Kbeauty63
AG
I LOVE self checkouts!! But I worked in a grocery store for 15 years, so I know how to scan things & get in and out quickly. And as far as the age thing - the self check out supervisors recognize me - so, they clear that quickly.
BlevCat
AG
BrazosBull said:

Just another job eliminator. We need jobs in America and need to individually support jobs for real people . I refuse to go thru a self check line even if it may be quicker and more convenient by a bit. Each American taxpayer pays every time we eliminate someone else's
Sorry, but this is an incredibly shortsighted way to view automation. While, yes, machines such as self-checkout stations will eliminate many unskilled labor positions, it also creates many more jobs for engineers to design and create the machines, software developers to write the software that runs the machines, contractors to install and maintain the machines, etc.

I feel no remorse for the unskilled jobs being replaced by machines.
Kitten With A Whip
GiveEmHellBill said:

Kitten With A Whip said:

Self checkout lanes are not for people doing the weekly shopping. They are for people buying only a handful of items and don't want to wait in line with people with carts full of groceries. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to be done checking out. Don't see how that convenience means you deserve drastically lower prices on your items.
I get that, but I really only go to the grocery store to do major, weekly shopping. The HEB closest to me only has self checkout lanes open late at night when I like to shop. Less crowded is a huge plus, but not so much self checkout.

I usually hit Walgreens for a milk or bread run mid week when I need to.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
BrazosBull said:

Again, these self-checkout lanes are for people only buying a handful of items. Save the lanes with actual checkers for people with full baskets and/or large quantities of produce that have to be keyed in and weighed.

And there will always be a need for at least one or two 10-items or less lanes: those are usually the ones with the cigarette displays.
TalkNerdy2Me
AG
Bryan Target now has 4 self-check out machines. I was excited to see them when entering because I often get stuck in line behind people with full carts or complicated returns when I'm purchasing a couple of items.

Trying to check out and leave was a different story. Self check stations were full, people were taking forever to scan full carts, wrangle their multiple small children, talk on the phone, etc. The line to self-check was 5 or 6 deep. Took quite a while to get to my turn so I could scan/pay for my 4 items.

I found the Target machines to be super user-friendly and quick to use; much moreso than Kroger's machines. Was just frustrating to have to wait so long to use them.
MarineBQ04
AG
Sam's club scan n go is the best. You scan the item as you put it in your basket and then when you are headed to the exit, you pay and avoid cashiers and self check out completely
always gig em
AG
OP, these machines aren't hard to use. Looking up produce? You just type in the produce code, easy. Know why these machines will replace the human element? Because the human element that is the cashier doesn't elevate themselves to be more than a cashier. It's a fact. These are low level jobs. These people wanting $15/hr for being a cashier are pricing themselves out of a job, Walmart will follow soon, it's dollars and cents.

Does it take any skill to scan an item? Nope. So why hire a human that's by nature going to "reason" as to why they aren't (insert reason here). Not saying I agree, just what I've noticed at stores.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.