always gig em said:

OP, these machines aren't hard to use. Looking up produce? You just type in the produce code, easy. Know why these machines will replace the human element? Because the human element that is the cashier doesn't elevate themselves to be more than a cashier. It's a fact. These are low level jobs. These people wanting $15/hr for being a cashier are pricing themselves out of a job, Walmart will follow soon, it's dollars and cents.

Does it take any skill to scan an item? Nope. So why hire a human that's by nature going to "reason" as to why they aren't (insert reason here). Not saying I agree, just what I've noticed at stores.
I remember back in the old days of manual cash registers, when being a cashier was a serious business which took real skills. Not everyone had those skills, and those that did were compensated accordingly.

Nowadays, the only skill you need is the ability to hold a scanner and push a couple of buttons. Heck, grocery stores don't even really have true sackers anymore, either, now that they've gone to plastic bags instead of paper.