Best Suddenlink Modem?

5,969 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DigDogDoo
AFM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I finally need to upgrade the Suddenlink service to unlimited plan. I don't want to pay $10 per month for their modem and I have a Nighthawk AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router already. I wonder what's the best modem people use in B/CS. Thanks.
MisterShipWreck
I was going to by my own recently, when I switched to Suddenlink...

The reviews on Amazon sucked for most of them. It seemed better to by a modem and wifi router seperately than buying a combo. Then I remembered that I always buy a new router every 3 years. No matter the brand, they always crap out. Buying both seperately was going to be around $200. And, I would likely have to buy a router again every 3 years...

I decided to just rent theirs for $5 a month. If it dies, they will replace it. Easier and cheaper...

I am so sick of always buying wifi routers every 3 years
CTGilley
AG
You can re install the firmware and it will work like new. I am not sure how it gets corrupted but it does.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I have separate modem and router from netgear. Been going strong for 2-3 years now with no issues.
BlazeHarper
Correction I am using the SB6183 at this place on the 200M connection and it cost around $80. I hooked it up, had them provision it by calling tech support and giving them my MAC address and have not had an issue so I really have not played with the settings or configuration.

My guess is they are choosing to provision their 200M+ connections using 16 channels instead of using 8 channels. I thought they were pushing 36M on each channel with their DOCSIS 3 configuration but it looks like they might provisioning modems at that speed with 16 channels even though the theoretical for 8 channel would support it. It is all about the provisioning they control the config for the modem in order to talk to the mothership.
Here is there requirements I saw

http://help.suddenlink.com/internet/Pages/CompatibilityList.aspx
biobioprof
They always crap out, but they last longer in my experience when you buy your own. Makes sense because the rentals are a crapshoot with respect to age and the environment where it was used.

I always just get a cheap SurfBoard at Best Buy because as much as I like Amazon, it's not same day delivery yet.

I connect that to an Apple AirPort Extreme that's also obsolete but works.
megaman64
AG
I always get a Motorola/Arris surfboard modem. I don't know if they still make and sell DOCSIS 2.0 but it's worth it to make sure you get a DOCSIS 3.0 or else your speeds will be terrible.

Link for reference:https://www.amazon.com/SURFboard-SB6121-DOCSIS-Retail-Packaging/dp/B00YUU5628?th=1
ag50
AG
Just went through this, this past weekend, the link you posted is for a 12 channel modem, Suddenlink told me I needed a 32 channel modem to get the 200/unlimited plan, that a 12 channel would only get the slowest speeds, they started at $110.00 at walmart. I have no idea, but installed it anyway, is this information accurate?
DigDogDoo
If you're paying for 200Mbps download speed and don't foresee yourself ever purchasing a higher-than-200 Internet package, then I'd suggest a modem whose max download is not over 200Mbps.

The 200Mbps speed comes through the cable, to the modem, to your router (if you have one) and then gets passed on to your devices. Through your router, you can dictate what device gets what speed, who gets precedence, etc.

TLDR: If you see a number of channels listed on a modem, this can give you an idea of how fast the modem is; most have four or eight "down" channels and four "up" channels. DOCSIS 3.0 allows up to 43 Mbps down, so a four-channel will give you 172 Mbps download speed, and eight will give you 344 Mbps. 16-channel routers are starting to show up with a claimed maximum download speed of 688 Mbps, which is blazing fast.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.