Synthetic Oil Change

2,650 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgDotCom
MsC2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who has the most cost effective price for a synthetic oil change? My free ones at the dealer are up.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Mobil 1 at Walmart is on sale for $22 for 5qt and a filter is around $10.

So, I guess the cheapest around is just over $30.
OlAg2001
This. We always bring our own synthetic oil and filter when we get an oil change and just pay around $10 for the work.
DBSwooper
OlAg2001 said:

This. We always bring our own synthetic oil and filter when we get an oil change and just pay around $10 for the work.
It's worth saving the $10 and taking 10 minutes to do it in your own driveway to make sure it is done correctly. As simple as an oil change is the kids at the quick lube places seem to have problems.
AggiePhil
AG
Sounds tricky.
MsC2012
AG
Who will do that for you?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
DBSwooper said:

OlAg2001 said:

It's worth saving the $10 and taking 10 minutes to do it in your own driveway to make sure it is done correctly. As simple as an oil change is the kids at the quick lube places seem to have problems.

This.

They crossthread the drain bolt, you're in for a grand in repairs. They forget to torque the drain bolt or use a new washer, you may be buying a new car.

They've also been known to forget to refill with oil.

There are a lot of seemingly small details that can end up costing quite a lot of money that I just won't leave up to someone else.
jimmyb
Quote:

As simple as an oil change is the kids at the quick lube places seem to have problems.

As can anyone who does not do it every day. Nor has disposal or access to ramps.

These places will let you confirm the job is done correctly.

Speedco (a nationwide service for truckers) requires verifying the drain plug was correctly reinstalled.

Hmm. I guess GM can build them but that's it... IDK

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-camaro-ss-long-term-test-update-review
WHAT WENT WRONG: Nothing went wrong with the Camaro, but its continued flirtation with dramatic oil consumption remains unsettling. We added 3.5 quarts of oil between 20,000 and 30,000 miles, two of which were the result of an underfilled sump at a local dealer at 21,700 miles. ...
The oil was changed again at about 29,000 miles at a cost of $59. This time, the dealer remembered to pour in all 10 quarts.

I mean in the days you pay someone to ; prepare your meals, buy a car for you, stand in as your family, is it really still necessary to have to change your own oil to ensure its done correctly?

I would hope not.

DBSwooper
Quote:

I mean in the days you pay someone to ; prepare your meals, buy a car for you, stand in as your family, is it really still necessary to have to change your own oil to ensure its done correctly?

I would hope not.

I don't know about the other stuff, but apparently changing your own oil seems too hard for some. I'll continue to do my own work (I like cooking meals and I'm not sure what you meant about the family thing). Scheduled maintenance work isn't my favorite way to turn a wrench, but it is a nice way to save a bunch of money and make sure the task is done correctly with the correct parts (much more than oil changes gets done in my driveway).

We don't have as many quick oil change places in B/CS as fast food restaurants at Towerpoint, but there are a lot of them, so I know that losing my money won't hurt them one bit.
jimmyb
It comes down to convenience ( people who pay 6$ for coffee arnt too inclined to climb under a car to save $ - I don't drink coffee by the way ) and expecting professionals to do the job you pay them for.

I used to do all my own.

Now I decided I can afford to let them do the dirty part and i save $ by bringing the materials..not worth my time...

kyledr04
AG
50% off coupon at Christian brothers
DBSwooper
kyledr04 said:

50% off coupon at Christian brothers
So now it's $95 for an oil change?
DigDogDoo
Meh, I prefer taking my car to Muslim Brothers. Their oil changes are $15 + materials
MsC2012
AG
Who will do it for you if I bring the stuff?
AggiePhil
AG
American Lube Centers at TP. $25 labor only.
MsC2012
AG
Thank you!!
Madaman
two of my vehicles are easy. i can get them both done at same time in less than hour. F-150 is a pain in the ass. I let someone else handle it.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Madaman said:

two of my vehicles are easy. i can get them both done at same time in less than hour. F-150 is a pain in the ass. I let someone else handle it.

Now I'm curious. What makes it difficult?
AgDotCom
Esteban du Plantier said:

Madaman said:

Now I'm curious. What makes it difficult?
I have a 2013 F150 and it's easy, but a little messy.

The generation prior to that was more difficult, at least it was on my 2002 4.6L. you had to jack up the front end so you could turn the steering wheel all the way to the left to get the steering linkage (tie rods?) out of the way in order to remove the oil filter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.