Birding areas in BCS

2,130 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BMo
BMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm more of a photographer than a true birder but was wondering if there are any parks in BCS that have features for attracting birds? Drips, nest boxes, etc? I'm a bit surprised if not. I've tried Central Park. Went to Lick Creek Park this morning without any success. TIA for any input.
LunitadelNox
The Rio Brazos Audubon Society is a good resource. Don't know of any places other than Lick Creek Park off the top of my head, unfortunately.

http://riobrazosaudubon.org/
Kendall Rogers
AG
Brison Park right next to A&M in Southgate area has lots of birds. There are bird watching persons and sometimes groups that come through most every weekend.
woozy
Can 2nd Brison Park. Last weekend there were several Kites, a blackburnian warbler, American redstarts, cedar waxwings, and a waterthrush that remained specifically unidentified. Two weekends ago there was a very cooperative screech owl that was easily seen and photographed. Get there early, as the Kites start soaring once the air temps warm a bit.

Have you been to the rookery at High Island yet? If not, then you will have to go to the Houston Audubon website for more info. Also consider Sabine Woods, which is owned by the TX Ornithological Society. One of the best places to see migrants in Mar/Apr/May. They have a website too.
BMo
Thanks for the Audubon site link, I will check it out.

Very much appreciate the Brison Park recommendation. I will check it out as well.

I have been to Smith Oaks but not Sabine Woods. I probably won't make Sabine this season at this point. I have gone to several places over/down that direction numerous times since the fall. Love that area but it's a haul.

Shot from High Island

I have a couple of shots on the Texas bird photos page on the Texas Ornithological site including a female house finch representing Brazos Co.

Female house finch, Brazos Co.

I appreciate all of the input y'all have given.
Oogway
I am not informed enough to know if that adult bird is female, but if she is, how appropriate for Mothers' Day...great pic!
birdman
If you want to take photos, there are three good spots. Brison, Brothers Pond, and the park alongside Bryan golf course.
BMo
Didn't even think about the pic and mother's day. Glad you enjoyed it.

Are there many trees at Brothers park? Google maps doesn't show there to be. I've been to the park at Bryan Muni. Thanks.
Oogway
Brothers Pond has trees along the path. If you head north from the play area there are more plus the pond. Many of the usual suburban birds plus I used to spot road runners there.
Brison also has large grassy areas and quite a few trees plus the little creek.
Kendall Rogers
AG
woozy said:

Can 2nd Brison Park. Last weekend there were several Kites, a blackburnian warbler, American redstarts, cedar waxwings, and a waterthrush that remained specifically unidentified. Two weekends ago there was a very cooperative screech owl that was easily seen and photographed. Get there early, as the Kites start soaring once the air temps warm a bit.

Have you been to the rookery at High Island yet? If not, then you will have to go to the Houston Audubon website for more info. Also consider Sabine Woods, which is owned by the TX Ornithological Society. One of the best places to see migrants in Mar/Apr/May. They have a website too.

Many evenings near sunset, the owl sits in a large oak tree and I suppose watches for mice and other food items?

BMo
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I went to Brison yesterday morning and although the grounds crew was there mowing, it was a productive morning. Met a couple of birders while there and was given a tour along with more info on the area. The Mississippi kites were thick.

TexasAggie_02
AG
Lake Somerville State park?
BMo
TexasAggie_02 said:

Lake Somerville State park?
Birch Creek and Nails Creek are better IMO but unfortunately closed for the most part.
Kendall Rogers
AG
BMo said:

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I went to Brison yesterday morning and although the grounds crew was there mowing, it was a productive morning. Met a couple of birders while there and was given a tour along with more info on the area. The Mississippi kites were thick.

Were the mesquitos eating you up?
BMo
No they weren't Kendall.
Aggies76
AG

Are the guineafowl still hanging out at Brison Park?
A.G.S.
AG
There are, or were up til last summer anyway, a pair of bald eagles at Gibbons Creek. If that's your fancy. Always used to see em in the clump of trees just south of the water outflow.

Also got a family of falcons in our neighborhood (Upper Burton Creek, the falcons are always swooping around Ethel Drive, near Wayside). A fair number of hawks frequent the area during the day, and owls at dusk/night (Barn Owls and Screech Owls).

Nothing super rare, but always cool to see.
woozy
Aggies76 said:

Are the guineafowl still hanging out at Brison Park?
They were there last Sunday
BMo
A.G.S. said:

There are, or were up til last summer anyway, a pair of bald eagles at Gibbons Creek. If that's your fancy. Always used to see em in the clump of trees just south of the water outflow.

Also got a family of falcons in our neighborhood (Upper Burton Creek, the falcons are always swooping around Ethel Drive, near Wayside). A fair number of hawks frequent the area during the day, and owls at dusk/night (Barn Owls and Screech Owls).

Nothing super rare, but always cool to see.
I've been out to Gibbons before. It was kind of slow but may have been the day I was there. Saw one of the eagles flying high and leaving the area. The Woodlands was my active eagle place this year. They are literally all over the state now.

I might get visited by Bryan's finest wondering around the neighborhood with a big lens. (grins)

I saw the guineas also.
Kendall Rogers
AG
A study of the guineas would be a great Masters or PhD research project for an A&M biology or animal science student. The affect of 10+ years of inbreeded on bird health and genetics would be interesting to see.
labmansid
BMo said:

I might get visited by Bryan's finest wondering around the neighborhood with a big lens. (grins)

Funny you mention that, Bill. A few years ago, not too long after 9/11 and the rise of Homeland Security, I was out driving around the parking lot of Post Oak Mall trying to get some shots of the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers that nested out there. I noticed a woman in an SUV watching me rather intently, even following me a little. I had a feeling that wasn't the end of it. Sure enough, a few minutes later a CSPD vehicle approached me and the officers asked what I was photographing. I politely explained, and even showed them some of my shots on the LCD screen. They seemed a little amused, and let me continue.
BMo
That's funny Sid. I've had to explain myself to landowners but have steered clear of the police so far.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.