How to properly pronounce "Villa Maria" for those that want to "keep it real".

6,240 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
Scotch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Villa Maria Ursuline Academy:
Quote:

The Ursuline Sisters, founded by St. Angela in Italy in 1535, opened their first girls' school in North America in Quebec in 1639. In 1727, they opened the Ursuline Academy in New Orleans, followed in 1846 with the Ursuline Academy in Galveston... Seeking a new school site further inland, Mother Superior Mary Joseph Dallmer selected Bryan over several other cities. With donations from Bryan citizens, the sisters purchased land from W.R. and Mary (Mitchell) Cavitt and began plans for Villa Maria Ursuline Academy at this site, which became known as St. Ursula's Hill... The school opened in September 1901... Villa Maria Ursuline Academy closed in 1929.
malibu9in1
I'm Mexican and it's still vil la maria. I know it should be veeaya maria. Oh well.
MosesHallRAB83
Eliminatus
AG
Yeah.....gonna keep saying VILL LA MA RYA

I am brown so you are not allowed to correct me either.
studioone
it may be proper, but thats not how someone born here pronounces it...

villa as in a villa in france... the house of a well to do person in france...

maria... as in St. Maria..
Kitten With A Whip
Studioone has it right and I say it however I want. I don't need lessons from some internet punk.
Stupe
S
I mentally roll my eyes and judge someone's white guilt when I hear a caucasian from this area say Ve Yah regarding that street.

Unless they are obviously joking.
duffelpud
AG
I'll just keep calling it Briarcrest to annoy people.
stinkerbelle
Can someone tell me how *you* pronounce "Italian"? There is an ongoing argument at my office right now and has been going on for several weeks about the correct way to pronounce it and a co-worker is getting heavily badgered over the way she says it from another coworker.
Scotch
AG
malibu9in1 said:

I'm Mexican and it's still vil la maria. I know it should be veeaya maria. Oh well.
Why do you "know" a non-Spanish word (that happens to have the same spelling as a Spanish word) should be pronounced in Spanish?
techno-ag
AG
Now if they can only get people to pronounce Amarillo properly.
Scotch
AG
Point of thread, it's Vill-ah Mah-ri-ah, not Veeee yah Marrrrrrrr-Eeeee-ah and pronouncing it improperly by assuming the word is Spanish is culturally insensitive to the Latin language, Italians, the French and in many cases is improperly culturally appropriating the Spanish language.
malibu9in1
All about the Tex mex baby. Puro west side.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Veeee yah Marrrrrrrr-Eeeee-ahVeeee yah Marrrrrrrr-Eeeee-ah
I have lived here since 1980 and have never heard anyone pronounce it like that. Maybe I just hang around in the wrong hoods.
LunitadelNox
I'm Mexican, and "villa" is an actual word in Spanish...

So I'll keep pronouncing it vee-ya.

Nice to know the actual history though.
marrocco
I'm kinda reminded of the time I went to First Watch, told the waiter I'd just confuse if I were to order with the proper accent, he said "Nah, go ahead," so I asked for a Frittata Rustica in proper Italian intonation, and he just stared at me with a horrified, uncomprehending expression on his face. (I repeated myself with a proper WASP Texan accent, and he got it.)
Scotch
AG
Of course it's a word in Spanish, it's a word in numerous languages, but it seems odd to assume it should be pronounced in a language other than English.

When you talk about a lunar eclipse do you pronounce "lunar" in Spanish?
"Tonight is a lu-naur eclipse."

If you are describing a horrible day do you shift the word "horrible" to a Spanish dialect?
"I had a orry-blay" day today."

"There's a loose dog outside, lets call awn-e-mawl control". Etc...

Stupe
S
I'm betting that when was saying "jack ass" or whatever he called you as he walked away....it was in Texan WASP.
studioone
AGnCS said:

Quote:

Veeee yah Marrrrrrrr-Eeeee-ahVeeee yah Marrrrrrrr-Eeeee-ah
I have lived here since 1980 and have never heard anyone pronounce it like that. Maybe I just hang around in the wrong hoods.

i've been here since 69 and NO one pronounces it like that...
Scotch
AG
You guys are literally being too literal when reading my pronunciation guide.
Scotch
AG
stinkerbelle said:

Can someone tell me how *you* pronounce "Italian"? There is an ongoing argument at my office right now and has been going on for several weeks about the correct way to pronounce it and a co-worker is getting heavily badgered over the way she says it from another coworker.

It-tal-yen, ay-tal-yon, Eh-tal-yan, 't-al-yun or any combination... all proper pronunciations in Texas.
studioone
Mexia.....
LunitadelNox
I mean, I pronounce most words I say with a Spanish accent because I'm Mexican and Spanish is my first language.

So, yes?
techno-ag
AG
Heard another radio commercial today from an out of towner saying BRAH-zose. SMH.
FlyRod
Tailgate88
AG
I pronounced Refugio with a hard G for nearly 20 years without anyone correcting me.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Two guys were driving to Dallas from BCS, As they approached Mexia, they got into a heated discussion on how to pronounce the name of that city.

One said it is pronounced Mex e ah.

The other said it is pronounced Ma hay a.

So they pulled into the first fast food place they can find.

The ran inside and told asked the person behind the counter "How do you pronounce the name of this place?"

The person looked them straight in the eye and said " We call this place Dairy Queen".

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.