Plans in works to widen Highway 6 to six lanes (3 each way)

5,633 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DigDogDoo
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Plans in works to widen Highway 6 to six lanes

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Plans-in-works-to-widen-Highway-6-to-six-lanes-415272213.html
jac4
AG
Will still be finished before Rock Prairie/Longmire.

Wildmen03
AG
Sweet! More lanes for people to drive 55mph in.
JM13
That's going to be hell
Bunk Moreland
In 2021? ****, start it now.

Don't plan for something we need now 4 years in the future. That's how you always fall behind in an area experiencing major growth.
halibut sinclair
The article says officials *want* to expand 6. There are no plans or $$$ for it now.
SECeded
SARATOGA
Seems like this would be pretty easy if they go the middle, eliminate the median and do a concrete barrier divided highway....

They HAVE to go to the middle right. They just did all the work to redo the exits/entrance ramps, so they HAVE to go to the middle right ?

Right ?

Also, considering there is plenty of room there, I'd think construction wouldn't effect traffic much, because there is room in the middle to work and build ?
halibut sinclair
So you're saying it should be in the middle?
pudge
Right?
Rexter
SARATOGA said:

Seems like this would be pretty easy if they go the middle, eliminate the median and do a concrete barrier divided highway....

They HAVE to go to the middle right. They just did all the work to redo the exits/entrance ramps, so they HAVE to go to the middle right ?

Right ?

Also, considering there is plenty of room there, I'd think construction wouldn't effect traffic much, because there is room in the middle to work and build ?

I can gar-on-tee that south of Rock Prairie, the new lanes will be to the outside. The have already built the bridges.

And what does current layout have to do with anything? How are the construction companies supposed to make money, and TxDot increase the budget, if they don't tear up what will be 3yr old worn out ramps?
Oogway
^^^Rexter^^^you betcha!
Expert Analysis
AG
looks like TxDOT is planning on two projects. SH21 south to Business 6 and Business 6 south to 40. estimated at 88 million combined.
techno-ag
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Construction zone speed limits for years to come. Should be lucrative for the cities.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
ukbb2003
10 years too late
Goose83
AG
Of course, they're going to tear up the bypass for three to four years, and when they get finished, they're going to have to start all over again as it won't be enough to handle the out of control growth that's occurred during the time they were building it.

We are now entering a perpetual hell previously known only to those who live in DFW, Houston and Austin.

Everyone have fun - It was nice while it lasted.
PS3D
JFS61 said:

Of course, they're going to tear up the bypass for three to four years, and when they get finished, they're going to have to start all over again as it won't be enough to handle the out of control growth that's occurred during the time they were building it.

We are now entering a perpetual hell previously known only to those who live in DFW, Houston and Austin.

I'd rather have cool highway projects than commute in underbuilt, overcrowded roads. It makes me sad as Austin, Dallas, and Houston get cool highway projects while BCS gets nothing. Even Waco/Temple/Killeen gets more action than us.
Picadillo
Just do the toll overpass now and be done with it.
MemphisAg1
AG
PS3D said:

JFS61 said:

I'd rather have cool highway projects than commute in underbuilt, overcrowded roads. It makes me sad as Austin, Dallas, and Houston get cool highway projects while BCS gets nothing. Even Waco/Temple/Killeen gets more action than us.
I like cool highway projects also, but I get really frustrated at the ones that linger forever. If they're gonna do it, they need to get 'er done.
halibut sinclair
PS3D said:

JFS61 said:

Interstates.
Rexter
It's gonna be like 290 from 610 to Waller. TxDot will start at OSR and work their way south to Navasota. It'll take 20 years. When they get done, they will go back to OSR and start over since the road will be outdated and worn out......it'll never end, just like 290.
bcstx06
Maybe they should go ahead a consider 4 lanes each way. But we also have to take in consideration that in the near future humans won't be driving their cars anymore, they will autonomous. This possibly means that there will be no more traffic jams and the need for a wider freeway will no longer exist.
AgsWin2011
AG
Screw that do something about the God awful mess that is 2818 between Wellborn and University!
Chef Demas 2020
AG
Heismenberg said:

Screw that do something about the God awful mess that is 2818 between Wellborn and University!
Now I am not a city planner nor do I have any significant experience in this area but I have always thought that the city should use 2818 as a loop type deal where they add feeder roads off to the side and build some over passes over the major intersections. There are more and more students/housing projects going up off of 2818 that it is getting dangerous. BCS needs some time of loop around this town as well as west/east highways. This would make it a loop connecting around to Fitch/wellborn providing quicker/easier access to campus from South 6.
Rearview
AG
Heismenberg said:

Why not both?
PS3D
Going under Rock Prairie Road, they would have to eliminate shoulders to make it six-laned, it's not wide enough to expand normally. Should've just rebuilt the bridge entirely when they did all that work. I don't know about the other underpasses and how much work they'd require.
Expert Analysis
AG
PS3D said:

Going under Rock Prairie Road, they would have to eliminate shoulders to make it six-laned, it's not wide enough to expand normally. Should've just rebuilt the bridge entirely when they did all that work. I don't know about the other underpasses and how much work they'd require.
isn't it already 5 lanes with plenty of room for an additional lane? not really any issues at any of the under passes
PS3D
Expert Analysis said:

PS3D said:

isn't it already 5 lanes with plenty of room for an additional lane? not really any issues at any of the under passes
South of Southwest Parkway, the only times Highway 6 in Brazos County goes under a road is Rock Prairie, Texas World Speedway, and Westward Ho. WH is so far out that it won't be widened in years and they have room to anyway, and TWS will likely be rebuilt when those areas become residential. But Rock Prairie's bridge already had a substantial rebuild. The northbound side has an inner shoulder (reduced slightly due to columns), an outer shoulder, and two northbound lanes. The southbound lane was similar, but the Barron Road overpass/new Rock Prairie Road exit/etc. construction that took place around 2007-2009 added a third lane (the merging lane from Texas Avenue SB/to Barron Road), and the outside a shoulder is only a half-lane due to the drainage required for the bridge (must have been a requirement). Northbound can get a lane easily (albeit with a reduced outside shoulder), so to add a third lane it would have to take the inner shoulder (but not all of it since it still bows out slightly) and restripe the other lanes to be a bit thinner.

What they should've done when they were redoing the whole exit/entrance/bridge thing was to backfill the underpass and demolish the bridge so that Highway 6 went over it.
Lateralus Ag
AG
techno-ag said:

Wildmen03 said:

Construction zone speed limits for years to come. Should be lucrative for the cities.

Har har har.

COCS revenues for traffic tickets are about 2% of general fund budget. COB is about 2.5%.

Did you know that over 60% of all traffic fines go to the state of Texas General Fund, not the municipality or county that wrote the ticket?

The more you know...
Bob2525
Need to get Elon out here with his Boring company to build a network of underground roads. By 2021, they should have the design worked out taking a fraction of the time and money...
techno-ag
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

techno-ag said:

Wildmen03 said:

Har har har.

COCS revenues for traffic tickets are about 2% of general fund budget. COB is about 2.5%.

Did you know that over 60% of all traffic fines go to the state of Texas General Fund, not the municipality or county that wrote the ticket?

The more you know...
Somebody missed the winkie.
birdman
Texas General Fund may get 60% of the fine for speeding. However, the City of College Station collects 100% of the court cost fees.

When the State of Texas started grabbed more of the traffic fines for themselves, the cities just upped the prices on court costs.
DigDogDoo
2818 is getting expanded to 3 lanes iirc + a barrier in the middle. Total cost = $55 million iirc. I could be wrong, I'll check the TXDOT site in a few.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.