KBTX drug bust report

3,135 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OnlyForNow
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This isn't a rip on KBTX, just pointing out the difference in current laws within towns less than 100 miles apart. They are reporting a youngster was busted with 99 grams of marijuana (3.5 oz), arrested with a bail of $14,000.

In Houston as of this spring, possession of weed under 4 oz is not an offense that merits an arrest, just a fine if you admit you have a problem. Weird times.
InMyOpinion
oklaunion said:

This isn't a rip on KBTX, just pointing out the difference in current laws within towns less than 100 miles apart. They are reporting a youngster was busted with 99 grams of marijuana (3.5 oz), arrested with a bail of $14,000.

In Houston as of this spring, possession of weed under 4 oz is not an offense that merits an arrest, just a fine if you admit you have a problem. Weird times.

Is this a difference in Laws or how they are enforced? its a state law last time I checked.
Firefighter7
In the State of Texas, you can be arrested for anything except speeding and open container violations. For class C misdemeanors, it is usually up to the officer to decide if they get a ticket or go to jail. This decision sometimes depends on other offenses or how the offender acted during the detention period.
AgGunNut
AG
Maybe you should also consider that he was charged with two counts of possession of controlled substance for ecstasy and concentrated THC liquid, both felonies...
Clo004
The bond for POM was probably $4000 which means the PCS was $5000 per charge. PCS is still fair game in Harris County. I can understand tickets for less than 2oz of weed but nobody is running around with 4oz for personal use.
Gunner740
Also, we aren't in Houston, so...
DigDogDoo
Meanwhile everyone forgot about that DEA agent's daughter who was caught with way more drugs than this dude.

InMyOpinion
Campchulu said:

Meanwhile everyone forgot about that DEA agent's daughter who was caught with way more drugs than this dude.

Nope, still a great mug shot. I can hear it now "do you know who my dad is".
lightswitch
Drug Laws especially in this area is a shakedown. It's easy money for Low hanging fruit -- especially the youngsters...

Stick to drinking beer and Mom's medication....
Stupe
S
I see no problem having higher bail amounts and stiffer penalties than Harris County.
OnlyForNow
AG
You're counting reckless endangerment (speeding above 20 mph over the posted limit) as a class c?
Firefighter7
I did say speeding, I mentioned nothing about reckless endangerment...that is a whole separate offense. That charge could get you taken to jail.
OnlyForNow
AG
Well speeding over 20 mph can send you to jail.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.