2017 Property Tax Thread

8,834 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by duffelpud
jmazz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2017 Tax Assessed Values are out.

My homestead went up 1.4% ($5k)...awesome...take that any day of the week.

1 investment property went down 5% ($11k)...awesome...wish that happened every year.

1 investment property went up 8.6% ($22k)...little high but I can live with it.

3 other investment properties (that sit right next to the 8.6% mentioned above) each went up nearly 40% (~$95k/each)...THAT IS ABSURD!

dave99ag
AG
Last year our appraisal went up 10% and the taxes got capped. This year it only went up 1.3%, so I'll take that.
jmazz
AG
Yep...would take 1.3% all day.

10% is the homestead cap so really anything below that on a homestead and at least it didn't get capped.

Unfortunately, investment property doesn't have a cap.
OnlyANobody
My house saw a minimal increase. (only $2,900) But my land went up $10k. (from $25K to $35K) Every property on my street went up the exact same amount without regard to lot size. ~ Copperfield
dave99ag
AG
jmazz said:

Yep...would take 1.3% all day.

10% is the homestead cap so really anything below that on a homestead and at least it didn't get capped.

Unfortunately, investment property doesn't have a cap.
Yeah, it went up 12% last year, but the cap brought it back down a bit. Our actual appraisal went down this year, but the cap last year yields a 1.3% increase in taxes assessed.

Didn't realize investment isn't capped. That stinks!
duffelpud
AG
Up 4.4%
07AgTH
AG
Custom build and closed in December, valued almost $100K over what I paid. Going to protest.
farmersfight
AG
Looks like my neighborhood land value increased by $10K, and "improvements" dropped by around $2-3K.

Still, that's $31K INCREASE since I closed in 2014
deh40
AG
Up a little over 5%
techno-ag
AG
If the Research Valley Partnership gets that community college proposal through, look for property taxes to go up by another $1000 per $100,000 valuation.
turfman80
AG
If placed on the ballot, I hope the voting public realizes they are authorizing a new taxing authority if approved....
woodometer
AG
Land values in my neighborhood went up also for the first time in about 5 years. My total increase was 7%. I'm hoping that when the community college hits the ballot that all the old folks will get motivated because their taxes will be going up and their cap wont protect them.
montegobay
I see ZERO chance anyone will vote to add a new taxing entity. Even the people involved with the original petition have suggested that everything should be on hold to see if Blinn follows through with RELLIS promises of
more workforce education. They did NOT present the petition to the county commissioners last week.
Oogway
If anyone happens to visit the new(ish) location, the chairs are nice, but I do urge the county to extend the sidewalk adjacent to the parking lot so taxpayers don't get run over.
Fleen
MiMi
S
Castlegate house: land value up 31%, improvements down 2.7%, total assessed value up 2%

Looking at the land values for houses in my 'realm,' they all went up about 30-40%. It's about 50:50 with the improvements value going up or down a modest amount. This is crazy!
CTGilley
AG
How do the houses on either side of me go up 5K and mine goes up 20k?
I have done nothing to the house in the last year. Time to sell and move next door? One of them is much nicer.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
MiMi said:

Castlegate house: land value up 31%, improvements down 2.7%, total assessed value up 2%

Looking at the land values for houses in my 'realm,' they all went up about 30-40%. It's about 50:50 with the improvements value going up or down a modest amount. This is crazy!

I'm seeing the same in CG. Land is scarce, structures are not.
Frio Cielo
Also, many local residents don't realize that Navasota ISD extends towards College Station to just south of where the American GI Museum is located on Hwy 6..just south of Peach Creek Crossing. and to the west, goes way north of Millican on 2154.

Unless Navasota ISD improves greatly, developers are going to be very resistant in putting in subdivisions out of CSISD and buyers are going to resist buying there.
Frio Cielo
Property taxes should not be able to go up more than 1% more than the calculated COLA.
txgardengirl
Improvement down, land up - but still way low compared to what we're selling for and in comparison to the others on our street.

I'm still trying to figure out why the appraisal district has access to MLS records for sales - seems to be off in a non-disclosure state
SumAggie
but...but they keep telling us how wonderful growth is? All I see is more traffic and higher property taxes. It is getting to the point where an average retired person cannot afford to live in Texas.
jenmarin04
AG
What is the name of the company that will protest for you?
jmazz
AG
I use Bettencourt Tax Advisors out of Houston.
Frio Cielo
While many of our taxes are going up 10% a year, many of the commercial properties on Texas Avenue and elsewhere have gone up little and some not at all in many years. All I get is an answer, "commercial properties are considered different than residential" So what, the land value is still going up on Texas Avenue as well as in Castlegate.

What makes commercial land special where the property is not going up do to its increased value?

Esteban du Plantier
AG
Frio Cielo said:

While many of our taxes are going up 10% a year, many of the commercial properties on Texas Avenue and elsewhere have gone up little and some not at all in many years. All I get is an answer, "commercial properties are considered different than residential" So what, the land value is still going up on Texas Avenue as well as in Castlegate.

What makes commercial land special where the property is not going up do to its increased value?

There's tons of commercial inventory, scarcity is low, value falls.

Homes, on the other hand, can't be built fast enough around here.
Frio Cielo
Esteban du Plantier said:

Frio Cielo said:

There's tons of commercial inventory, scarcity is low, value falls.

Homes, on the other hand, can't be built fast enough around here.

Are there tons of commercial properties for sale on the market in prime locations near campus? I know there is a lot of leased space available.

So you're telling me that a property on Texas Avenue has not increased in tax assessed value significantly in the past five years? Hard to believe.

BCSMom

Let me see if I understand this....Last year my property taxes increased, but since there is a Homestead Cap that helped lower my overall. Just noticed that my taxes actually decreased but not eligible for the cap this year so my taxes increase again.
happyinBCS
What games they play. my appraised only went up 2k because last year I had a 7392.00 HS cap, but this year lo and behold I lost the cap so assessed (taxable value) was up 9,182.00 Hmm so at 2.35 per hundred they are getting another 214.00 a year and what really chaps my a** is (I live in CS) the city is not getting enough from all of us so we now pay a road maintenance fee on our utility bills.. It truly never ends........................
InMyOpinion
happyinBCS said:

What games they play. my appraised only went up 2k because last year I had a 7392.00 HS cap, but this year lo and behold I lost the cap so assessed (taxable value) was up 9,182.00 .

"lost the cap" ?? You do realize the amount listed in HS Cap is the amount greater than a 10% increase in your Appraised value not reflected in your Assessed value.

You never want to see an amount listed in the HS Cap, it ultimately means you assessed value will go up the next year even if your Appraised value stays the same.
duffelpud
AG
The taxes on our farm property in Burleson County doubled this year.
CS78
duffelpud said:

The taxes on our farm property in Burleson County doubled this year.

Want to sell me about 60 acres?
jmazz
AG
My Burleson County property went from $230k to $134k...but that's b/c the prior owner apparently never protested and the 'barndominium' flooded last spring so we were able to buy it for WAY less than tax assessed value. So, when we got the 'sales survey' in the mail we actually filled it out and sent it in (opposite of what we usually do...usually never fill those out). It appears they used the info from the sales survey and dropped the assessed value accordingly.
Fleen
Increased 25% (Down 5% in Improvement and increased 75% in Land Valuation)
txgardengirl
Fleen - looked down your street and you aren't alone and most of you reached the homestead cap so it will continue to creep the next few years - if you want comps for sales in your neighborhood let me know and I'll send them! (note - if you don't remember me by username - post here and I'll message you!)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.