Atkinson Toyota and rodents chewing thru wiring on new vehicle

10,180 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by theycallmemrtibbs
stinkerbelle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No Zombie he did not. We told him, this is our daughter, she needs a new car, she doesn't really have any credit, she has really never done anything to build on, but she has been at her job just over a year and we are here to co-sign if needed. She would like another Camry, as the 1990 something she is driving needs too much work and she would rather just get another car than to put a lot of money into this old clunker. He nodded a few times as I was saying this to him. He asked if my husband and I would be co-signing would we be putting the car in our name and I said no sir, its her car, she will be making the payments. That is when he excused himself for about 15 minutes and came back and said he couldn't help us. He didn't even try. He didn't discuss anything with us. No numbers, no showing of cars, Nothing!
Had he at least tried to work with us, go over a few things or just explain to us why he couldn't help us, it wouldn't have been so shocking and I would have understood a little better.
The Original AG 76
AG
Zombie said:

I will never understand this. I was in the car business for years before I got into media. Why are car dealers considered crooks when trying to mark up their inventory 3-5% above cost and trying to make a profit? Do you go into Bestbuy and demand to pay cost for a TV they have marked up 200%? Do you go into Dillards and demand to pay cost for a suit they have marked up 400% over cost? No. Then why is it okay to do this at a car dealership and why are they crooks for wanting to make a profit just like any other RETAIL store in the world?

I dont think that anyone is trashing the car business model due to the profit margin angle. The car business gets a bad rap because of the very model they use. I dont go into Best Buy knowing that I will have to play that damn " let me talk to the manager" LIE in order to get another $25 off of the posted price. They are NOT like ANY other RETAIL store in the world. I know that several dealerships have attempted to go to the real price listed ( Lawrence Marshall) model and most have failed mainly due to the publics perception, BASED ON DECADES OF THAT HAGGLE MODEL, that whatever price they paid was a rip off. Its as much the buying public's fault as it is the car biddness. BUT the shady con man rep is well deserved as long as 99% of the dealers continue to play that damn " for you my friend I'll go to $xxx crap after I check with the nonexistent so called manager...." . Most people would rather simply walk in , see a price and buy..NO HAGGLE BUT the price better be close to what it is easy to find as a fair price on the interwebs today. No fake " manager" , no " my friend", no "well IF you buy TODAY " garbage.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Like I posted earlier I've had mostly good experiences at Atkinson. Bought several cars there.

But I will say this. On my last buy I thought it was very weird that the dealership absolutely refused to remove their plate frame and worse , they refused to remove the Atkinson Sticker they put on all new cars. Those stickers are pretty stuck on and it can be hard to peel em off sometimes.

So when I told them I wanted to drive off the lot without those 2 things, they straight up said "no, that can't be done thats our policy". I pressed and pressed and finally used the "c'mon I've bought like 6 cars here over the years and you're gona be difficult about that? " The sales person went and talked to someone and came up with the "compromise" of they will take the dealer frame off but not the sticker. I was sick of talkin about it so I just said "fine whatever". But its so weird that they are so adamant about that.
biobioprof
Zombie said:

I will never understand this. I was in the car business for years before I got into media. Why are car dealers considered crooks when trying to mark up their inventory 3-5% above cost and trying to make a profit? Do you go into Bestbuy and demand to pay cost for a TV they have marked up 200%? Do you go into Dillards and demand to pay cost for a suit they have marked up 400% over cost? No. Then why is it okay to do this at a car dealership and why are they crooks for wanting to make a profit just like any other RETAIL store in the world?
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/513/transcript
Quote:

Marc, who owns this dealership, and Freddie, who runs it, both know that most people do not trust car dealers. Most people think that they're ripping us off, throwing on extra charges, milking us for every dime. And they say, if you and I only knew the reality, we would see that, in fact, the dealer is not making a killing off us.

In fact, the dealer is often squeaking by with a very thin profit margin. They say it is all very different from what people think. And to prove their point, they let us watch, a bunch of us from our radio show. We recorded them as they headed towards the end of the month, trying to make their goal, trying to sell 129 cars, which-- you would think that would be very straightforward, very businesslike. After all, new cars and trucks, they're 15% of all retail sales.

But if what we saw was typical, what that means is that hundreds of billions of dollars in economic activity and nearly 2 million jobs exist thanks only to millions of messy, seat-of-the-pants deals, many of which barely come together, as salesmen sweat out their end of the month quotas. It is way more chaotic than we expected.
The chaotic nature contributes to the perception of getting ripped off. And people demand to pay cost because dealers have incentives to sell at or below cost, which creates a perception that they're lying about what "cost" means.

And for what it's worth, I have avoided getting a new TV for years because I think Best Buy trains their sales people to be "crooks" wrt pushing overpriced HDMI cables... even though I buy other stuff there.
happyinBCS
I simply do not understand how they feel they have the right to put their name on the 40k plus vehicle that you just bought. They will say all day long when your tail lights pass the gate it is yours, just how this thread started They did not take care of the customer because she drove it home. I can assure you, they would have taken both items with their name off or the car would have stayed on the lot. Do you know of any other business model that says when you buy an item from me you will show everyone my name as long as you own it. Completely insane
Rexter
I always throw back at the salesperson a correction on the paperwork. I pull a number out of the air, like $30/month, and deduct that from the life of the loan for advertising. At first, I get "wtf is that?" . Then I tell them if you want your name on my car, then I'm advertising for you, so that is my monthly fee. I get pushback until I say no sale if you don't remove it or pay my fee. I have no dealers stickers or any other type of sticker on my vehicles.
Post removed:
by user
maddiedou
AG
6 months ago we bought a Chevy Suburban LTZ 4x4 at the Chevy/GMC dealership in Luling because we are good friends with the GM. Needed service and took it to Sterling and they got me right in with no problems at all...never questioned where I bought it. They have since done an oil change the same day I called for an appointment. As far as I'm concerned, they have excellent service.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Sterling doesn't sell new Hyundai's
Zombie
LOL. That would be Brazos Valley Imports
Alte Schule
I have a Cadillac CRX and a Hyundai Genesis Sedan. Both purchased in the Houston area and both serviced locally with out a problem. Had the Cadillac's info system and the battery replaced under warranty, Only thing the service rep at Sterling said was 'I'll call you when it' ready." So far only oil changes for the Hyundai.
Schedule an appointment on line a week in advance.
biobioprof
Slocum on a mobile said:

So, like many of you, I refuse to "buy local" when it comes to automobiles.
Going nonlocal for a better deal is rational. A blanket refusal to buy local seems like an overreaction to me.

We've been generally happy with how we've been treated by Allen Honda.
BMo
Douglass Nissan is excellent. Oil changes without appointment in less than 30 minutes is the norm. Great on other service as well.
dubi
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

So, the Hyundai dealership in Bryan refuses to work on my wife's car. We bought it in Brenham, and got it for about $7000 less then Sterling was asking for the car when we bought it. We told them if they'd match, we'd buy from them, etc. Like many of you, they refused to meet or beat the price. Brenham's starting Asking price was $5,000 less. They don't flat out refuse to work on it, but every time she needs service, she calls, and you have to make an appointment, and they never have an appointment less than 4-6 weeks out. Brenham usually gets her in that week...

Several years ago, I was buying a commuter car, and I was looking at a Pontiac at the time. I located the car I wanted, and started shopping. Guy in Huntsville had it for $12,900. The Caldwell guy (you know the "We'll beat anyone's price" guy?) was asking About $500 more. I asked to talk to the Owner, the guy on TV, and he couldn't beat it. I said, what's with the TV ad, then? He hung up on me.

So, like many of you, I refuse to "buy local" when it comes to automobiles.
I purchased my Hyundai in Houston; the dealer in Bryan performs my service without any issues.

They are difficult to get on the phone to schedule, but that has been my only problem.
LastHamlet
AG
stinkerbelle said:

About a year ago my husband and I went into Atkinson with my daughter to help her find a car and co-sign if needed. She had been at her job for just over a year and her old clunker was about to leave this world for good. Immediately when we walked in we were approached by a Salesman and shown to a desk to sit and chat with him. We explained why we were there and what we were looking for. The whole time he would give us a little nod here and there and didn't say much at all. When we were done explaining to him everything, he excused himself and left us for a good 15 minutes. He came back to the desk and said "I don't think there is anything we can do for you, thanks for coming in." My husband and I were floored, we kind of just sat there and looked at each other for a minute before we got up with our daughter and walked out. We drove over to Lithia Dodge and my daughter drove out of there in a brand new car within a couple of hours. I will never step foot in Atkinson again and I will never recommend them to anyone, even those die hard I will only drive a "Toyota" people I know.
I'm not surprised he said that. He's arrogant POS.
happyinBCS
I get so sick of this repo joe crap every month, if you watch KBTX when it is going on it is overwhelming. How could a rat live in that place
BlueMiles
AG
I really can't stand "Repo Joe." It seems so mean-spirited to have a marketing campaign like that. I am waiting for the social justice warriors to target them.
cz308
BlueMiles said:

I really can't stand "Repo Joe." It seems so mean-spirited to have a marketing campaign like that. I am waiting for the social justice warriors to target them.
They act like it's something special. ONE TIME ONLY.... Give me a break...

I purchased my truck from them, but that is only because in the end, I think I got a good deal out of it. The first sales guy Luis was a freaking moron. I almost didn't return because of him. I went back one last time just to look at something on the trucks. I got a guy named Chris who ultimately turned out to be great. I do not think I'd ever purchase another vehicle from them though.
AggiePhil
AG
What a farce. Google "repo joe" and look at how many different "Joes" there are.
Johndog6
Back to the topic of the original post:
My wife's Toyota van which we have had for just over a year had a check engine light come on and we took it in to the dealership to have it serviced just this week. The reason they said the check engine light has come on is because of rodents chewing on the wiring. The cost will be over $2000.
This makes me pretty skeptical because my pick up is parked right next to her van every night and I have had no issues with wiring. Granted my truck is over 10 years old and still runs great.
How is it that the (almost) new vehicle has rodents attracted to it but my older one does not? is there something on the newer vehicles that is attracting them? Yes we live in a country area with woods but we also have bait traps around the perimeter of the house and the carport is less than 15 feet from the closest trap.

Confused and skeptical
theycallmemrtibbs
Someone posted on the first page that it's some kind of soy-based insulation on the wiring of new cars.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.