Parking in the streets

3,705 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rooster14
AGGies0311
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are there any College Station Ordinances or laws regarding parking in the street in residential areas? I live in the neighborhood around Richard Carter park and the Sorority houses. Cars and trucks line the street for blocks, turning every street into a one lane road. Fricking students need to use their driveways and garages.
Stupe
S
There are city ordinances in CS stating that they have to be parked with traffic. Other than that, it's up to the HOA of individual neighborhoods.
AgResearch
AG
One of many reasons I'll never live in a college town again.
b0ridi
I drove past a few houses with cars parked on both sides of the street a few weeks ago. They had "Protect College Hills" signs, so it's not just students.
PS3D
Drove down my street (street parking legal), and there was a car with an orange "violation" sticker on it, I'll tell you the details tomorrow when I investigate it.
rsa
AG
boridi said:

I drove past a few houses with cars parked on both sides of the street a few weeks ago. They had "Protect College Hills" signs, so it's not just students.
There are a number of us who own homes with "Protect College Hills" signs who are surrounded by student renters. We'd love to be able to have places for company to park when they visit, but with our student neighbors, that ain't happening.
AgGunNut
AG
The large amount of cars in that area is because of the sororities meeting every Monday evening.

Unless one side of the street is marked as a no-parking zone or has a sign about not parking from the sign to the next curb, there are no restrictions about parking on both sides of a street. This is pretty standard everywhere, not just here since street parking is public parking.

Additional violations could include parking facing traffic, parking within a certain distance to a stop sign/intersection, or parking within a certain amount of feet to a fire hydrant. These are state laws as opposed to the no parking zones which are city ordinances.

If a car is in fact parked in the middle of the street, this is indeed a violation as well. I'd encourage you call CSPD non emergency number for any of these violations (979-764-3600) so that the car can be towed or ticketed. Keep in mind that unless a car is literally blocking a road, it is a low priority call, but will eventually get handled.

Additionally, a call to TAMU Greek Life may not be a bad idea to express your frustrations. I live in the area as well and understand. Maybe if more people expressed their frustrations to the right authorities, there would be something done about it.
AGGies0311
It's not just Monday. This weekend there were parties all along Thomas Park.... I live on Berkeley and it was lined all the way down with cars and so was the next street over. Not just the one near the sorority houses
BigBubba
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

It's not just Monday. This weekend there were parties all along Thomas Park.... I live on Berkeley and it was lined all the way down with cars and so was the next street over. Not just the one near the sorority houses
There were parties near Thomas Park, the City park?? And that was causing your street, Berkeley, to have cars all along it?

Your street is a mile from Thomas Park. Are you saying there were cars lining both sides of every street from Thomas park to your street?
dallasiteinsa02
I would be curious to see how they fall under the parking ratio calculation for the city. They are probably under some multifamily classification which doesn't consider having a meeting with 200 girls once a week. It only considers the number of bedrooms. It would be interesting for someone to look into it and then get them shut down their meetings because they don't have the parking spaces for hosting that size meeting.
AGGies0311
The side off Thomas park closest to A&M was lined with cars. My street had cars lined all the way down as well. I wasn't implying that from Thomas Park to my street there were cars lined.
Carnwellag2
dallasiteinsa02 said:

I would be curious to see how they fall under the parking ratio calculation for the city. They are probably under some multifamily classification which doesn't consider having a meeting with 200 girls once a week. It only considers the number of bedrooms. It would be interesting for someone to look into it and then get them shut down their meetings because they don't have the parking spaces for hosting that size meeting.
close them down to having meetings - is that really what you want?

If you have a birthday party at your house - you can only invite the number of people who can successfully park on your driveway.

NO THANKS!
Average Joe
AG
The problem with that area is the amount of rental properties rented to college students. A four bedroom house nets four cars instead of two like an average four person family would. Most of those driveways can't handle four cars, and most kids will park on the street so they don't have to move a car for a roommate.
AgGunNut
AG
I follow you now. You're lumping an area with about a 2 mile diameter together.
AGGies0311
Sorry. Francis is relatively clear, but it is a much bigger street than Berekely. Dominik Dr. near 6 is busy and not from the sorority girls.
dallasiteinsa02
Carnwellag2 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

close them down to having meetings - is that really what you want?

If you have a birthday party at your house - you can only invite the number of people who can successfully park on your driveway.

NO THANKS!

Have everyone on your block through a kids birthday party at the same time and then get back to me.
AGGies0311
Or college kids move to your neighborhood and all of them get their ring on Parents weekend....during the Alabama home game
Matsui
AG
You folks must not realize this happens is every big town in the country.
starched_bingo
Literally everywhere. This seems like a mountain out of a molehill type situation
OneGood2011Ag
AG
If there were no cars parked along the street, the same people would be on here griping that cars are driving too fast down their streets. On-street parking slows down traffic and provides a buffer for pedestrians on the sidewalks.

How fast do you really need to be going down a residential area anyway? What would you do if you had the full 60+ feet of the road to yourself? Have none of you ever been to a real neighborhood in a real city before (not some McMansion HOA exurban gated community)? At least our lot sizes provide more street frontage than many traditional neighborhoods do, allowing for more on-street spots per structure.
rsa
AG
GranMaq11 said:

How fast do you really need to be going down a residential area anyway? What would you do if you had the full 60+ feet of the road to yourself? Have none of you ever been to a real neighborhood in a real city before (not some McMansion HOA exurban gated community)? At least our lot sizes provide more street frontage than many traditional neighborhoods do, allowing for more on-street spots per structure.
I trust that your 60+ feet of the road refers to the home's frontage.
Frio Cielo
What might be a reasonable guide to allow street parking or not is that on the narrow streets if two cars or pickups cannot pass each other and keep some distance apart, 1 foot?, 2 feet?, street parking is restricted to a two or three hour block with no overnight parking.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the City of College Station requires enough parking off the street for each bedroom.
Stucco
I don't like HOAs, but a neighborhood sure looks a lot nicer and is a lot safer when street parking is disallowed or heavily restricted.
AGGies0311
On my street if theres a car on both sides only one car can travel down the street.

I can't even back out of my driveway some weekends
techno-ag
AG
AgGunNut said:

The large amount of cars in that area is because of the sororities meeting every Monday evening.

Unless one side of the street is marked as a no-parking zone or has a sign about not parking from the sign to the next curb, there are no restrictions about parking on both sides of a street. This is pretty standard everywhere, not just here since street parking is public parking.
If I'm not the one parked on the street, it should be illegal.

/CStatters
PS3D
Stucco said:

I don't like HOAs, but a neighborhood sure looks a lot nicer and is a lot safer when street parking is disallowed or heavily restricted.
Sorry, I think your stupidly narrow streets look awful and are near not navigable because inevitably someone does park on the side like lawn crews or whatever. And when you don't have those you have these wide bike paths that look nice but are largely a waste of space.

PS3D said:

Drove down my street (street parking legal), and there was a car with an orange "violation" sticker on it, I'll tell you the details tomorrow when I investigate it.

In case anyone has wondered why I never followed up, someone had ripped it off the next day. It hasn't been towed yet.

GranMaq11 said:

If there were no cars parked along the street, the same people would be on here griping that cars are driving too fast down their streets. On-street parking slows down traffic and provides a buffer for pedestrians on the sidewalks.

Or just petition for speed humps.
Stucco
PS3D said:

Stucco said:

Sorry, I think your stupidly narrow streets look awful and are near not navigable because inevitably someone does park on the side like lawn crews or whatever. And when you don't have those you have these wide bike paths that look nice but are largely a waste of space.

I'll make sure to build my streets wider next time...
TKDMom
We live on Berkeley. The parking is awful. For some reason that I have yet to understand, the visitors for houses down the street from us will park directly in front of our house instead of the house where they are visiting. And yes, lord help us when all the students are home and parking is on both sides of the street. We have to take turns going down the street if two vehicles are coming opposite directions.

That said, I love where we live and love my old house, and cheating students keep me employed, so I will continue to put up it.
AGGies0311
The people on the corner of Berkeley and Francis have a "Protect College Hills" sign in their front yard..... yet they are students.... who have parties all the time.... and have their friends park in front of my house and line the streets on both sides on a consistent basis.... smh
techno-ag
AG
That's hilarious! After all, the best way to organize a social movement is to get the college kids involved.
Rooster14
A route you may take is to contact the fire marshal's office. If the cars would hamper a fire response then something can be done. Take some pictures and give Fire Marshal Eric Dotson a call.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.