They're Baaaaaaack!

3,999 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Geralt of Rivia
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been seeing a few around lately, but it seems like today they were really starting to come out in force.

OnlyANobody
I almost had a pair as my appetizer...
Eliminatus
AG
The worst part of spring. I am getting a new influx of those ginormous tree roaches in my yard that periodically make it into the house. Had one crawl over my foot last night. I, as a grown ass man, rather embarrassed myself.
GunRangeGal
AG
Before I opened this thread I knew it was going to be about those bugs. So obnoxious! They make any outdoor activity awful right now because they always end up in my hair.
91_Aggie
AG
Only seen a handful... been many years since they were out in such droves that your car became black if you drove to/from houston.
The Anchor
AG
At least it's not as bad as 2004/2005 (can't remember which year it was). That year they were abundant EVERYWHERE!
kraut
AG
2004 - Fall of 2004.
Alte Schule
Coming from Corpus a few years ago they were plenty thick. Had to stop at car washes in Victoria, Hallettsville and La Grange to power wash them off so I could see. I wasn't the only one as I waited twenty to thirty minutes each time. They thinned out considerably north of I-10.
RJ3
AG
I drove back from Brenham yesterday and they covered my windshield. I went to the car wash and one of the attendants said they are just getting swamped with cars since everyones cars are covered in them.
Fortunately, they are only active during the day and will be gone soon.
Geralt of Rivia
S
They've been everywhere in my backyard for the past few days
FlyRod
Wouldn't even make the long list of bugs I find annoying in these parts. Way behind fire ants, wasps, roaches, and all the usual garden pests.
techno-ag
AG
Lots of bird food.
Rapier108
techno-ag said:

Lots of bird food.
Most birds don't eat them because they're acidic.
techno-ag
AG
Eh. Something will eat em.
FlyRod
Techno eats bugs? Ewwwww.
Roc96
AG
Camped at Lake Livingston with my parents and wife (then girlfriend) while we were seniors in the Summer '96. That was the last shot I ever had at getting her to enjoy camping outdoors, because those bugs were in just about everything. No stinging or anything, just omnipresent.
Oogway
If the grackles would eat them, then I might believe that grackles had a purpose beyond eating fast food french fries, pooping on everyone's cars at intersections, and making a gosh awful racket....
studioone
Buncha whiney people...

Its part of nature... Deal with it..

Not actually sure what useful purpose they serve, though, other than bird food...

Betcha you guys are the ones who squish every spider you see, and kill every snake you find...
aggiepaintrain
AG
their guts eat the clearcoat on your cars
labmansid
studioone said:

Buncha whiney people...

Its part of nature... Deal with it..

Not actually sure what useful purpose they serve, though, other than bird food...

Betcha you guys are the ones who squish every spider you see, and kill every snake you find...
Haha, not whiney, just find them quite annoying in the numbers they present themselves in.

I'm all for Nature, my hobby is photographing it. Not everything in Nature is considered pleasing, however, such as love-bugs, rats, and mosquitoes, as examples.

I think their purpose is to increase business for car washes and gas stations with squeegees!

I leave spiders and snakes alone, unless I'm photographing them. They eat nuisances like love-bugs, rats, and mosquitoes.
studioone

so do you know how to do a 1:1 ratio with a macro bellows attachment and a reversal ring?
australopithecus robustus
Umm, what? Is that a nerd thing?
techno-ag
AG
studioone said:

so do you know how to do a 1:1 ratio with a macro bellows attachment and a reversal ring?
I'm sure he's a digital shutterbug, D. Not old school.
DBSwooper
studioone said:

I do, what do I win?

Then again I'm a photographer and wrote a how to photography book for beginners.
studioone
camera nerd, if u really want to call it that...

its sorta a math formula for doing photos of bugs that are life size, using advanced camera parts...

A bellows is just that, but attaches between your lens and camera... the further the lens is, the more close up you can get...

a reversal ring allows you to take the lens and mount it backwards, which if you do this, you can get the date of a dime to fill your screen...

pretty much the only way to get those big spider eyes in a frame...

and australopithecus robustus isn't a nerd thing?

DBS... i hail you worthy of the title "photographer'...

labmansid
studioone said:

I never used a bellows, but I do remember Humble welding a couple of filter adapters together so I could attach a reversed lens to another on my old film camera. I wasn't into macro a lot back then, but did experiment some. And yes, I did have my own darkroom back in the day. I believe it was a Beseler enlarger, don't remember the model. My wife wasn't thrilled with me taking up one of the bathrooms.
labmansid
techno-ag said:

studioone said:

I'm sure he's a digital shutterbug, D. Not old school.
Lol, I remember us using a Brownie camera as a kid!
dave99ag
AG
labmansid said:

I leave spiders and snakes alone, unless I'm photographing them. They eat nuisances like love-bugs, rats, and mosquitoes.
Maybe this hognose I found in the backyard can eat all of the lovebugs I killed on Hwy 6 south of Navasota today.

toolshed
AG
Get out and drive to Caldwell or Brenham. We are doing a job in Smetana and there are clouds of them between 2818 and 47. I had a drink cup out on a post and came back to it covered in 30-40 pairs. They had crawled inside the lid as well.

Weird fact, they seem to like new pressure treated lumber, our fence posts are covered in them!
studioone
I was out spraypainting beehives and they kept getting on the hives and sticking to the paint.. and they were really thick around the spray area... kept landing on my legs.

Geralt of Rivia
S
I was just outside playing fetch with the dog, and they were everywhere. They were even distracting my dog after I'd throw the ball, it was crazy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.