70 mph in town

3,967 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by StringerBell
ChampsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I still don't understand why this change was made. No enforcement whatsoever and no idea why it needed to extend south to 159.

It is not safe to drive 70 past Rock Prairie... Going 3 to 4 miles over the limit in the left lane will get you stared at by the people doing 80.

Just my 2 cents after observing traffic this weekend and during my daily commute into town.
Stupe
S
Drastic speed drops and drivers going a bunch of different speeds are both more dangerous than a random set speed.

75 isn't unsafe as long as there isn't someone in the left lane clogging up traffic by driving 60.
ChampsAg
I agree completely. 70 is more dangerous IMO because only a few are following the 70 mph limit.
Tailgate88
AG
I drive at the speed of traffic.
ratfacemcdougal
The PASSING lane ie fast lane, is the new slow lane and exit lane
CCMD
AG
Can't remember the last time I was able to get up to 70 going between RP and Fitch going south on 6.
biobioprof
Is it really in town if we call it "the bypass"?

Of course, if it was really a bypass, there should be fewer exits and on-ramps.
FlyRod
"The bypass" is that magical place that restaurants fail from not having the wisdom to open up on or near.
DBSwooper
ChampsAg said:

It is not safe to drive 70 past Rock Prairie... Going 3 to 4 miles over the limit in the left lane will get you stared at by the people doing 80.

Obviously it is everyone trying to get to Readfields...
ChampsAg
Well played
BlazeHarper
Whoa 70MPH ?? If I wanted to drive on the Autobahn everyday I would move to Germany! Slow it down people 55MPH is more than enough speed to get to where you need to go in this town.

Sitting in the right lane with the Ol'Cruise Control set on 55 as I cruise on. Don't drive to fast in life you just might miss it

nought
AG
BlazeHarper said:

Whoa 70MPH ?? If I wanted to drive on the Autobahn everyday I would move to Germany! Slow it down people 55MPH is more than enough speed to get to where you need to go in this town.

Sitting in the right lane with the Ol'Cruise Control set on 55 as I cruise on. Don't drive to fast in life you just might miss it

Not sure if serious.

Seriously, good luck setting your cruise control on 55 and hanging in the right lane with the new X ramps we have -- they are the real reason the speed limit had to be dropped as they have had a serious negative impact on how well traffic moves along on Highway 6 between Rock Prairie and Briarcrest.
Kitten With A Whip
nought said:

BlazeHarper said:

Not sure if serious.

Seriously, good luck setting your cruise control on 55 and hanging in the right lane with the new X ramps we have -- they are the real reason the speed limit had to be dropped as they have had a serious negative impact on on well traffic moves along on Highway 6 between Rock Prairie and Briarcrest.
Agreed! I would happily spend another five years to fix the cluster F that is "the bypass!"
techno-ag
AG
Some of y'all be like

GSS
techno-ag said:

Some of y'all be like

European?
FlyRod
Techo knocked it out of the park and into the next dimension with that one. Excelsior!
techno-ag
AG
GSS said:

techno-ag said:

Some of y'all be like

European?
Hey no MPH on the Autobahn.
biobioprof
BlazeHarper said:

Reminds me of this guy
Quote:

In 1984 a man named John Nestor became notorious in Washington DC for his unusual driving habits on the Beltway. Mr. Nestor had the unique habit of getting into the leftmost lane with his cruise control set at 55 mph, the posted speed limit. He would drive at this speed regardless of what came up behind him. Cars would zoom up close to his rear bumper; drivers would flash their lights and blast their horns, some swerving around him on the right while giving him the finger -- none of this fazed Mr. Nestor in the least. As he explained it, 55 mph was the law, and he had a right to drive in whichever lane he chose: "Why should I inconvenience myself for someone who wants to speed?"
Quote:

To me, John Nestor was a good metaphor for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and its painstakingly slow approval process for drugs and devices.

But then it turned out that John Nestor wasn't just a metaphor for FDA; he actually worked there. In fact, in 1972 he had been transferred out of FDA's cardio-renal-pulmonary unit because that division "had approved no new chemical entities from 1968 to 1972, an experience that contrasted with the experience of every other medical modern nation and with the experience of other divisions of the FDA."
PS3D
nought said:

Seriously, good luck setting your cruise control on 55 and hanging in the right lane with the new X ramps we have -- they are the real reason the speed limit had to be dropped as they have had a serious negative impact on how well traffic moves along on Highway 6 between Rock Prairie and Briarcrest.

No, they aren't. The traffic along Highway 6 has just gotten too consistently heavy to allow 70 MPH speeds. It's one of the reasons why urban highways don't even reach 65 mph legally because of that very problem. The traffic entering the highway is going to be the same no matter how the ramps are configured, at rush hour (and other hours too), cars pour onto the ramp from Texas Avenue, sometimes backing up halfway to Harvey Mitchell Parkway. Meanwhile, at certain hours of night, traffic locks up near University and Briarcrest because too many cars try to enter the freeway at one time, and it would happen just the same with the old ramps too.

The two real solutions are:
1. Expand to six lanes from Highway 40 to Old Reliance.
2. Add metered ramps to problem on-ramps to stem too many cars coming up on the ramp at once. It would be a cheap and effective but, given the consistent blaming of the X-ramps, I can't imagine the mess would result in.

Traffic-related threads on TexAgs always crack me up. Everyone cries about how students don't know how to drive, yet there's all this hand-wringing any time an intersection is redesigned because it's "too confusing".

Not too long ago there was that thread about the University/2818 intersection being redesigned and there were some people unironically arguing for just unadulterated 1960s-style cloverleafs. It was funny and sad at the same time.
SARATOGA
Average speed during my morning and evening commute up and down the bypass is about 37mph

If some of you would take another road, I might be able to care whether I wasn't able to reach 70 or 75
Frio Cielo
It will be interesting to see the statistics on the #accidents, #serious injuries and #deaths for both before and after lowering the speed limit. I bet there isn't too much difference.

I don't mind the lowering of the speed limit. I drive from way north Bryan to Tower point four of five times a week and the drive is now about 1 minute longer driving 75 versus 70.

InMyOpinion
I would give up my choice to drive above the speed limit on Hwy 6, if it meant everyone driving below the speed limit had to stay on the feeder.
jac4
AG
I'm waiting for light rail to connect South CS to Century Square.
BigBubba
AG
PS3D said:

nought said:

No, they aren't. The traffic along Highway 6 has just gotten too consistently heavy to allow 70 MPH speeds. It's one of the reasons why urban highways don't even reach 65 mph legally because of that very problem. The traffic entering the highway is going to be the same no matter how the ramps are configured, at rush hour (and other hours too), cars pour onto the ramp from Texas Avenue, sometimes backing up halfway to Harvey Mitchell Parkway. Meanwhile, at certain hours of night, traffic locks up near University and Briarcrest because too many cars try to enter the freeway at one time, and it would happen just the same with the old ramps too.

2. Add metered ramps to problem on-ramps to stem too many cars coming up on the ramp at once. It would be a cheap and effective but, given the consistent blaming of the X-ramps, I can't imagine the mess would result in.
I agree with everything but you left out solution #3. They need to CLOSE some of the on ramps and off ramps. Look at any big city and the highways do not have an on ramp and off ramp for every intersection. Instead, you may have to exit and go through one light before getting to your road.
InMyOpinion
BigBubba said:

PS3D said:

nought said:

I agree with everything but you left out solution #3. They need to CLOSE some of the on ramps and off ramps. Look at any big city and the highways do not have an on ramp and off ramp for every intersection. Instead, you may have to exit and go through one light before getting to your road.

The problem with 2 and 3 is that our feeder roads are not designed for that and would need to be widen to 3 lanes and at every intersection there would need to be a dedicated uturn and right turn lane. If not then we end up with the same problem we had before the ramps where switched with exiting traffic backing up onto Hwy 6.
GoneGirl
AG
The problem is that for lack of enough north-south thoroughfares, local traffic gets put on the bypass, mingling with vehicles who are, in fact, bypassing BCS. So while 75 is perfect for folks going through, it's too fast for the guy taking it to get from University to Briarcrest. Maybe it's time for another bypass.
BrandoC
AG
Statistics show faster speed areas have fewer wrecks than slower areas. 75 or GTHO of the way!
rc_cat
TxElsie said:

The problem is that for lack of enough north-south thoroughfares, local traffic gets put on the bypass, mingling with vehicles who are, in fact, bypassing BCS. So while 75 is perfect for folks going through, it's too fast for the guy taking it to get from University to Briarcrest. Maybe it's time for another bypass.
We need to finish the inner loop before we start building the outer loop!
Tim Weaver
What this town needs is a Monorail! It'll put BCS on the MAP!
StringerBell
AG
in addition to the speed issue it annoys the hell out of me that people want to get on the highway going 55 or 50 mph.

merging is a lost art form in this town
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.