Bee House worth it for a garden?

1,489 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MosesHallRAB83
AgFan247
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any Bee people out there that can guide me on the pros and cons of a bee house or a feeder in order to attract more bees to my garden? I have found quite a bit on the web about the houses for Mason Bees, but figured I would still ask if we have any local experts what I can do to increase the pollination of my garden as I have beautiful plants but a large amount of flowers that wither and brown rather than becoming a fruit or vegetable.

TIA
studioone
normally lack of bees isn't a problem... They're getting pollinated, I'm sure... just something else isn't working right..

i could stick a beehive in your back yard, but I'll guarantee you have several beehives in your neighborhood, none of which no one knows about, and they're pollinating everything up to 3-4-5 miles around...

studioone
to prove a point, i keep 10-20 hives out at my place in millican, which is 7acres... and i have one of the largest gardens around..

and across the street, about 300 yards away, is the weaver queen yard, ad they have several hundred hives out there....

and i hardly ever see bees on my plants.... i know they're getting pollinated.. just never see them doing it...

i know things are pollinated cause i see the pollen stores in the hives...
AgySkeet06
AG
I have a hummingbird feeder up in my yard. No hummingbirds yet this year seen but do observe bees hitting it every now an then. Its about 10 feet from my garden and judging by my peppers and squash something has been working overtime on the pollinating....
FlyRod
The folks at Antique Rose Emporium are very good re advice on flowers to attract all sorts of bees, including the often overlooked native ones, mostly solitary. Give that a shot. The little metallic blue bees are really pretty cool when they come around.
AgFan247
AG
Thanks for the advice. We are getting some pollination, just not a whole lot, in fact none of my pickling cucumbers have been hit yet. Sad . We did add some flowering herbs and a wild rose bush nearby to hopefully attract more bees.
studioone
if you want to see how your bee population is...

take an equal amount (by weight) of sugar and water, boil it till sugar dissolves, and pour it in a shallow pan and sit it out in the yard...

its what i feed bees when honey is out of season...

if u got bees, they'll come...
studioone
but to warn you, you may get a WHOLE lot more than you bargained for....
AgFan247
AG
Thanks Ill give it a shot and see how it goes, and give my boys a warning that we may get more than we bargained for.
07bluebonnet
companion planting flowers with your vegetables helps bring in the pollinators
MosesHallRAB83
AG
We are averaging at least 7 distinct hummers on our feeders in west Bryan. Bees are plentiful as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.