Mayhaw

3,887 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by halibut sinclair
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone grow mayhaws around here? I'd like to plant a small grove, but I'd like to find a good variety for the area if possible.
GSS
Max06 said:

Does anyone grow mayhaws around here? I'd like to plant a small grove, but I'd like to find a good variety for the area if possible.
Can't say I have ever seen it for sale. Info about them here Aggie horticulture

It does mention pH requirements typically found only in the sandier soils. So the fruit is about the size of a cherry tomato?
Edited to add:
Lindale nursery

Check with Mark Scarmardo at Farm Patch; he's easy to work with, and maybe he can find you some for next year's order.
Max06
AG
Depending on the variety they're more the size of a cranberry. They typically grow in the river bottom/creek beds. I haven't seen many/any locally, which is kind of surprising considering the amount of Brazos river bottom we have around.

Average Joe
AG
I think the river bottom fluctuates too much throughout the year for them to thrive. East Texas and Louisiana is a lot better.

My grandfather always said "When God eats biscuits, mayhaw jelly is on the table."
Rex Racer
AG
My granny used to make mayhaw jelly every year. It's my favorite by FAR. Thankfully, my aunt learned how to make it and sends me some periodically. Soooooooooooo good.
Max06
AG
Well it sounds like if I can get a grove established I could make a mint on jelly. Glad I'm not the only one that enjoys it.
Average Joe
AG
Max06 said:

Well it sounds like if I can get a grove established I could make a mint on jelly. Glad I'm not the only one that enjoys it.

I can just set up direct withdraw if you can send me a jar every two weeks or so.

EDIT: might need to bump that to two jars. My dad will come over and steal mine.
momlaw
AG
The Mahaw jelly at Buccee's is decent.
FlyRod
Give the good folks at Producers a call, they can probably help you out. My own sense is they are more of an E. Texas tree, as others have noted.

Aside from figs and pomegranates, I have no idea what fruit trees do well around here.
Max06
AG
I procured a couple trees/shrubs today. Look for locally produced mayhaw jelly in spring 2018.
atm86
AG
Max06 said:

I am very familiar with mayhaws, and they don't grow that well around here. The best thing to do is go to the greater Beaumont area and see if there are any for sale, of if you know of anyone there, see if they can find them.
The Original AG 76
AG
50+ years ago I used to go with my dad and pick the berries along the Neches River in Angelina county. We would trudge along the bank in order scrounge them. I can't believe we didn't get hit by a cottonmouth.
I think that Mayhaw is some ancient East Texas injun word for " dumbass gets bit by snake" I have no idea if they can be successfully grown commercially. I grew up only having homemade jelly. Brookshires eventually had some but nothing was ever as good as mamaws mayhaw !
happyinBCS
Looking forward to it
halibut sinclair
I understand that Phil Robertson over in La. makes some good mayhaw jelly.
FlyRod
Nice to know he's good for something.
halibut sinclair
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.