Readfields

4,713 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tgivaughn
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They really need a Readfields at Towerpoint. If I knew anything about butchery, I'd open one and make a killing.
BCStalk
I don't ever see them expanding beyond what they are. Definitely the best though
Tanya 93
queso1 said:

They really need a Readfields at Towerpoint. If I knew anything about butchery, I'd open one and make a killing.

People can just go to them. They probably don't want to overextend themselves.
AggiePhil
AG
Call me lazy but I don't. If they were down south, I absolutely would.
Cancelled
AG
Yep. I'm only driving down there if I need something I can't get at HEB. If they were near me, I'd buy meat there exclusively.
carpe vinum
AG
I love Readfields, and go by there now and then for nostalgia.
That said, grocery store meat departments started really upping their game clear back with Winn Dixie.
Then groceries started carrying Boars Head deli.
Unless you are buying a side of beef or processing something you can get the same meat along with everything else at a grocery store these days.
Are the owners training the next generation?
If no family wants to cut meat I would imagine they close, and everyone lives off the income of the commercial operation.
ksp
I would go weekly but they are way out of my way. On top of there meats, they have some awesome local honey from an apiary in Hearne. I like using honey in my coffee, so I go thru it often. But out of my way means I drink it black a lot lol
beer.morebeer.mostbeer
carpe vinum said:

I love Readfields, and go by there now and then for nostalgia.
That said, grocery store meat departments started really upping their game clear back with Winn Dixie.
Then groceries started carrying Boars Head deli.
Unless you are buying a side of beef or processing something you can get the same meat along with everything else at a grocery store these days.
Are the owners training the next generation?
If no family wants to cut meat I would imagine they close, and everyone lives off the income of the commercial operation.
That's a big negatory.
jja79
AG
Readfield's is worth the 20 minute drive.
aggiegal99
Readfields carries a brand of olive oil that I really like. I buy it by the gallon, but I'm currently out and haven't made it by there to pick up more.

I agree that a custom butcher shop in south CS would do really well, especially if they focus specialty in-house sausages, unique fully cooked items ready for that night's dinner, etc. and carried a variety of Texas products, like HeartBrand and 44 Farms beef. My imaginary south CS butcher shop also includes a separate space for custom game processing. With a kickass marketing plan, this place could soar.

I've been hesitant to post this on TexAgs...not sure if it breaks advertising policies...If you are a south CS resident, you may be interested to know that College Station High School has a food processing class and operates CSHS Meats (I'm the teacher). We sell online at www.cshsmeats.org, and meat sales fund the class. We mostly focus on processed meats like sausages, bacon, ham, etc. Customers place an order online and we package it, email a final total, and customers pick up after school. The meat is usually frozen, unless it is something we made that day. We are health department inspected. Our scope is somewhat limited by the fact that it is a handful of high school kids doing the work (for free!) in 100 minutes a day, and that includes set up and clean up. We usually send out a mass email when we have new products available, so if you'd like to be included on that, go to the website and sign up for the email.
Eliminatus
AG
Their chopped beef sammich is one of my guilty pleasures. It's my favorite drunk food. Sausage is top notch too.

But ultimately it is the staff there that has me sold. Just awesome people. I have zero problems driving 15+ minutes to go there while passing both Walmart and HEB. If they ever do decide to branch out, S. CS is where I would place it. Every place can use more friendly local butcher shops.
BQ_90
AG
so by that logic why have more than one HEB in town or more than one of anything?
DBSwooper
BQ_90 said:

so by that logic why have more than one HEB in town or more than one of anything?
Is HEB a local family run specialty store?

It is great that a store that provides daily essentials to the population has opened more than one location in the area, but to me that doesn't mean that every store should.

Except nail salons, fastfood and banks, we can't have enough of those.
biobioprof
Eliminatus said:

Their chopped beef sammich is one of my guilty pleasures. It's my favorite drunk food. Sausage is top notch too.

But ultimately it is the staff there that has me sold. Just awesome people. I have zero problems driving 15+ minutes to go there while passing both Walmart and HEB. If they ever do decide to branch out, S. CS is where I would place it. Every place can use more friendly local butcher shops.
They're open from 8-6 M-F and 8-4 on Saturday... when do you start drinking?!
BQ_90
AG
you made sweeping generalization on your distance theory. My guess is Redfields is the only one that knows if they can open up one two or fifty more stores or just keep with the one they got.

Your distance analysis is just as meaningless and everything else posted on this thread.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Also it's like 7 minutes or less to a real downtown.
turfman80
AG
Try getting 4 bone beef rib slabs like Franklin's serves at HEB....
oklaunion
turfman80 said:

Try getting 4 bone beef rib slabs like Franklin's serves at HEB....
You have to ask for them as they don't put them out in the case. We get them every couple of months to celebrate something.
jja79
AG
Instead of posting it here why not call Readfield's and suggest your money making idea? They might even be looking for an investor.

As to why there are multiple HEBs, Taco Bells, etc it makes sense a place people might patronize 2 or 3 times per week be more strategically located than it does for a business patronized much less frequently.
Cancelled
AG
I actually suggested it to them last time I was there.
91_Aggie
AG
I don't think people live in South CS "to get away from stuff"

That is where the better housing and schools are. And further from students.

Driving all the way to Bryan to get some fresh steaks is a pain especially when HEB has "good enough" steaks. The OP is saying they would frequent a place like Readfields if it were as close as HEB.

It's not a declaration that should really get all the people on this thread that are so riled up about it.

Sheesh! "OH noes! Someone made a request for something more convenient. I need to get on here and make sure they know I have a different opinion and that they just can't appreciate the same things I do. Dang it! I love fresh meat so much I'm happy to spend 40-50 minutes of my day to go purchase it. If you won't do that then you don't deserve the finer things in life!!"

I think that covers it.
jja79
AG
I don't think anyone is riled up. Just pointing out it's not really a big deal to make a Readfield run occasionally.
Eliminatus
AG
biobioprof said:

Eliminatus said:

They're open from 8-6 M-F and 8-4 on Saturday... when do you start drinking?!
I am back in school. Drinking starts at random times.
ChampsAg
I live in Millican and shop at Readfield regularly. Either pick it up when I'm in town for work or drive in most Saturday while running other errands.

Staff is top notch and the quality is worth it for me.
tgivaughn
AG
I join those that agree.
Simply the best & tons of items not found anywhere else - a friend brought us no-salt seasoned pepper that we now can't live without! It. Saus to die for, steaks ooohlala and everyone so nice, welcoming you back. Couldn't leave town on holidays without bringing family a Redfield's spiral ham, turkey and even once a tur-duc-en .. yummy.

Very difficult to find a house for sale nearby ....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.