local lawn care - reel mower

2,972 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by letterman72
InMyOpinion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any local lawn care companies use a reel mower?

AC Hopper
S
I would be happy to sell you mine.
McLane ... 20.5" cut ... 7 blade ... Hi-speed forward throw reel
Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke ... Self-propelled ... Grass catcher
Taking up space in garage ... No good for St. Aug
Not used in 13 years ... Very good condition

SMR
The Original AG 76
AG
me too...
91_Aggie
AG
I have a nonpowered one sitting my shed for about 9 years. Wife wanted to be earth friendly. Found out being earth friendly is a lot of work.

If anyone is interested, let me know.
The Original AG 76
AG
That's why I'm interested in the powered one. Have a Bermuda lawn
InMyOpinion
Not interested in buying one, I have a Tru-Cut. I was looking for another source for maintenance questions. I have yet to find anyone that sharpens and adjusts the blades. Got a couple calls into golf courses but the ones I've spoke to only backlap the blade.
gmf_aggie
91_Aggie...have you parted ways with your reel mower?
InMyOpinion
I have a non powered one that I need to get rid of. I bought it last year, still in great shape.

gmf_aggie
My 14 year old sons have started a lawn service in our neighborhood and are looking to add a 2nd mower.

How big is it and how much are you asking for it?
soso33
Our neighbor with advanced celiac disease is looking for a mower. Let us know how we can put him in touch with you. Thx
HRGuy
AG
Try Paradise Valley Landscapes for info
779-6878
Ask for Elliot
If he can't help you directly, he will point you in the right direction.
letterman72
AG
Closest place is Austin Outdoor Power, last year they charged me $100 to sharpen, adjust, oil change,and blade sharpening. You might be able to find a golf course person, but good luck on that during the Spring or Summer months. My grass is Celebration bermuda. Bermuda looks best when its mown at least twice a week and very short, so it's a continuous job keeping those blades sharp. Sold my Tru Cut and bought me a top end Honda. Grass looks just as good in my opinion and it's easier to mow. The secret is frequent mowing and keeping it short. With Bermuda, the blades of grass are only green at the very top. If you cut too much off the top the grass will tend to be brown. The reason you don't see commercial companies using the reel mowers is because their customers don't won't to pay to have their grass mowed twice a week.
InMyOpinion
Thanks for info on Austin Outdoor Power. I was gonna give them a call if I could not find anyone local.

I also have celebration Bermuda and I guess I never really paid much attention before but A majority of people with Bermuda lawns don't mow often enough. I hate seeing a newly mowed lawn that is brown because too much was cut off.

i looked at a couple rotary mowers and just felt I really wanted to keep the lawn between .75-1.00" in height and no rotary mower will go that low.

Anyone interested in my non powered reel mower text me 979-five nine five-three two seven one

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Earthwise-18-in-Reel-Lawn-Mower/50119837

letterman72
AG
I guess I mis-stated, nothing better than a lawn cut with a reel mower. Austin Power is very busy this time of year and may be 2-3 weeks before they get your mower back to you. When you call, if that's the case, I would just backlap it this mowing season and then bring it to them in December or January. I bought some back lapping compound off the Internet but I forget from where. A 1" or maybe 15/16" socket will fit the nut that turns with the Drive chain and you can back lap it that way, just time consuming. You can adjust the blades to the bed knife without the specialty tool. Carefully use a punch to rotate the reels closer to the bed knife until they slightly touch each other. They bring the reel mowers to an older guy who has a shop somewhere in Austin. Hopefully, there is someone younger that's learning how to sharpen those blades.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.