Well Done, College Hills area!!

2,678 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CEAg78
RNAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heard on the radio this morning that the development plan for Gilcrest has been cancelled!
Aggies76
AG
Amazing! I didn't think neighborhoods ever prevailed against developers in this town. Well done, College Hills!
FlyRod
Cue the slew of comments about "Negative Nannies" being opposed to growth over some silly l'il ol quality of life issues.

But seriously, well done, College Hills.
toolshed
AG
They're called NIMBY's!!
jac4
AG
toolshed said:

They're called NIMBY's!!

Sounds like they made good on the "Not in my Back Yard" promise.
threecatcorner
Wow, I am happily surprised. When I heard about the "no stopping, standing, parking" signs being put in that exact area, I thought that was the city's way of saying there's no traffic/parking issue there anymore so a way to disregard a good number of complaints on the petition and move forward with the re-plat. Happy to be wrong about that. It's way too close to the elementary school.
Aggies76
AG
Heard on the news yesterday that one of the owners of this property decided not to sell. That is likely the reason that neighborhood proponents "won". Not a real victory.

Still happy for the development reprieve for College Hills.
Stupe
S
toolshed said:

They're called NIMBY's!!
I take that as a compliment when someone uses that term with me.
threecatcorner
She didn't decide not to sell. She decided to pull the request for redividing the lot. The article said it is still for sale.

So, she listened to the homeowners, but the city and/or potential buyer might not.

If you look it up on BrazosCAD, I think her mother left her the properties and then she sold or gave one to A&M (or some trust that the A&M Foundation handles).
techno-ag
AG
The city will make up the lost revenue by increasing College Hills' property taxes even more.
Aggies76
AG
Thanks for that clarification
ScottBowen
AG
I still can't get over the fact that this entire fight was about keeping college students out of of a neighborhood called "College Hills."
CEAg78
AG
ScottBowen said:

I still can't get over the fact that this entire fight was about keeping college students out of of a neighborhood called "College Hills."
We have plenty of college students living in College Hills. The fight is about density of housing thast does not match the surrounding area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.