Verizon vs Suddenlink internet

4,854 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stupe
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm just annoyed with Suddenlink trying to get internet activated at my new house.

Anyone with Verizon got any insight? Is it good?
jrhmc
AG
I think we all just put up with Suddenlink because of a lack of anything else of quality in town. When I had Verizon for my business, it was so very slow and not terribly reliable.
wareagle044
jrhmc said:

I think we all just put up with Suddenlink because of a lack of anything else of quality in town. When I had Verizon for my business, it was so very slow and not terribly reliable.

First, they tried to charge me $40 on my already canceled account from an apartment that was canceled 1 Mar.

Now

They want to charge me an activation fee on my new place because they can't access my credit score. I have a fraud alert on my account and credit bureau has outdated contact info to get ahold of me to verify identity.

Can't get ahold of anyone at Equifax ( who they use ) to get that info updated -- annoyed that my 2 years of on time payments isn't good enough. I'm not giving them $100 for the sake of giving them $100.
Post removed:
by user
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I really don't have any problems with Suddenlink anymore. I have the 100mb speed and it's been great.
91_Aggie
AG
Switched to Suddenlink from Frontier and Suddenlink is light years better in terms of speed and reliability.

If you switch to Frontier you will regret it.
JessicaShefty
We have Frontier [formerly Verizon] $65/mo. There were some issues when the initial buyout happened but overall it's okay. I've never had Suddenlink because we were told to stay away so I can't even compare.
thefarcus
I will post this every once in a while on here, but i've been really happy with my wirestar internet so far and I consider myself a pretty active user. They can't serve everywhere yet but it's worth a shot. www.wirestar.net is usually the best way to get a hold of em
AggieJason
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

If you need greasy, fast speed, you're wanting Suddenlink.

And I've had said "greasy" service and it's been 100% the entire time (10+ years) I've had it.
Tailgate88
AG
Do not switch to Frontier. Just don't.
chigger
AG
Verizon is horrible. I'm not a "fan" of Suddenlink but it's been solid at my house.
aggiepaintrain
AG
If you are think Suddenlink sucks better not try Frontier.
Kitten With A Whip
As far as product goes, Suddenlink is the way to go, but from hookup to billing issues, getting decent customer service from them is nearly impossible. Tech support is decent.

My mom had Verizon internet and it was okay for her. She wasn't a high end user, but their customer service was crappy as well. I have Frontier for my land line and their customer service is beyond horrible! They actually advised me to commit fraud to resolve a billing issue that they created!
Counterpoint
AG
Kitten With A Whip said:

My mom had Verizon internet and it was okay for her. She wasn't a high end user, but their customer service was crappy as well.

This. Verizon Internet is, by far, the WORST customer service I've ever experienced. And it happened many times so it wasn't a fluke. We had their DSL before switching to Suddenlink, and it still makes me mad thinking about how horrible their customer service was, and how many hours I spent on the phone with them. Not to mention, their product isn't as good as Suddenlink either.

Whenever there's a small problem with Suddenlink, all I have to do is remember how horrible Verizon was and any thoughts of switching completely leave my mind.

biobioprof
The only times I've used Suddenlink tech support the past few years was when I had to replace the cable modem. I've been buying my own from Best Buy instead of renting them from Suddenlink, and it subjectively seems like they last longer. The last time I did that, I thought the tech support from Suddenlink had improved a lot, mainly because they had a system where they would call you back instead of leaving you on hold for hours. Activating the modem once they called me back was quick and easy.

I imagine Frontier/Verizon's customer service could have changed since I had their DSL a long time ago through A&M. But back then it was incredibly awful. I would usually be on hold for a long time and then end up talking to someone who didn't know about the special A&M package that was inside the campus firewall (this was before A&M offered VPN). Then they would forward me to some other support person, and half the time the call would drop and I'd be back to being on hold for hours.
Counterpoint
AG
biobioprof said:

The only times I've used Suddenlink tech support the past few years was when I had to replace the cable modem. I've been buying my own from Best Buy instead of renting them from Suddenlink, and it subjectively seems like they last longer. The last time I did that, I thought the tech support from Suddenlink had improved a lot, mainly because they had a system where they would call you back instead of leaving you on hold for hours. Activating the modem once they called me back was quick and easy.

I imagine Frontier/Verizon's customer service could have changed since I had their DSL a long time ago through A&M. But back then it was incredibly awful. I would usually be on hold for a long time and then end up talking to someone who didn't know about the special A&M package that was inside the campus firewall (this was before A&M offered VPN). Then they would forward me to some other support person, and half the time the call would drop and I'd be back to being on hold for hours.
Your description is giving me PTSD! That's what would happen to me. And sometimes they'd forward my call someplace, I'd wait on hold for hours, someone would pick up and then ask for all my information again, and THEN they'd forward me to someone else to repeat the process over and over. Back when cell plans didn't have unlimited minutes, I remember one month when I had to use my entire allotment of minutes calling Verizon.
wareagle044
Count Counterpoint said:

biobioprof said:

Your description is giving me PTSD! That's what would happen to me. And sometimes they'd forward my call someplace, I'd wait on hold for hours, someone would pick up and then ask for all my information again, and THEN they'd forward me to someone else to repeat the process over and over. Back when cell plans didn't have unlimited minutes, I remember one month when I had to use my entire allotment of minutes calling Verizon.

I had this happen when I called Frontier yesterday. They didn't even know if they could service my house -- tried to transfer me to Hughes Net --- I live in Tower Point.
gettingitdone
We had verizon for years and finally made the switch to Suddenlink almost two years ago. We haven't had any problems with Suddenlink, while Verizon was terrible, always going down, and like someone else mentioned....continued to bill us for services months after we cancelled.
FrontRowAg
I had Suddenlink for years, switched to frontier for a few WEEKS. That's how long it took me to get a knock at my door from a suddenlink door-to-door salesman. He helped me out, figured out why I switched in the first place (I had limited data) and resigned me up.

I highly suggest you give him a call

Dustin (Suddenlink) - 979-204-4909

Tell him Mark Whitney sent you (I would love the $25) off my bill!
AC Hopper
S
Nothing wrong with Suddenlink.
OP needs to get his credit report in order or hand over the deposit.
wareagle044
AC Hopper said:

Nothing wrong with Suddenlink.
OP needs to get his credit report in order or hand over the deposit.

Im not handing over money for the sake of handing over because they can't access information that they don't really need to begin with, but thanks for the constructive insight
carpe vinum
AG
Suddenlink sucks, Verizon/Frontier sucks more.
Hassle the ever living crap out of your elected officials for granting the franchise.
BrazosWifi
I hear the hate for the duopoly often.

The truth of the issue is that the immense capital costs associated with rolling out an alternative for a fractional matket share is not solid business logic.

I will hear responses claiming "everyone will switch given an alternative" but in our experience less than 50% switch even though our speeds are 3-5x faster than their crappy DSL for less overall $ (considering the required phone line + DSL).

Now, look at Suddenlink who can drop prices to keep out a competitor with no additional capital costs. That is a tough market to crack.
BlazeHarper
Never underestimate the average Americans acceptance of mediocrity or their continued behavior of complacency on issues that actually affect their lives. I talked to friends and people in general about the government eliminating broadband privacy rules and the answer I would get back by most people is either "I have nothing to hide" or "They already have my phone number and address". I wanted to shake them then beat them with rational thinking but then realized they were to far gone and this is something I accept as being the new norm. We are to far gone and we deserve the government and the regulatory consequences we get as we have done nothing upstream to stop it from happening.

I also saw the same acceptance and complacency with Suddenlink on Data Caps. I was fairly vocal against Suddenlink for one issue only and that was "Bandwidth Allowance". I logged somewhere around 50 calls to them on various issues, hit them up on facebook, ranted about the focus group before the giga rollout, and yell from time to time to my council rep on the issue however people around me did not seem to care.

Anyway back to what I am getting at if you want change you have to focus and engage the process. Not trying to sound like Captain Obvious but we started going down this road many years back and people simply do not speak up and continue to vote/support people into office who are not acting in the interest of consumers.

But wait there is HOPE !

Stupe
S
aggiepaintrain said:

If you are think Suddenlink sucks better not try Frontier.
No kidding. We stuck with Frontier for about a month and dropped them. That company is incompetent..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.