Pool question B/CS

2,115 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by InMyOpinion
FILO505
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
***cross posted from Houston board***

So I'm looking into putting a pool in at the house. (Please, spare me your advice. I've done my research, understand the real estate implications, understand the maintenance) All of the pool "builders" in College Station contract out to Houston builders. They do the design and consulting here, but the labor comes from out of town.

Sooo...I'm looking to cut out at least some of the middle man costs and go direct. Recommendations? Thoughts?
InMyOpinion
You think the Houston pool subcontractors are gonna charge You the same price they charge the pool companies?

If it was that easy everyone would do it
FILO505
AG
No, but I figured I could cut somewhere into the middle of that. But thanks for the helpful reply. Was looking into a bit of networking for this. You were super helpful.
toolshed
AG
I wouldn't say they sub everything out to Houston "builders". I worked for Mobley about 20 years ago and his own employees dug the pool, installed all the piping and equipment, as well as some other work. He used subcontractors, some local and some from the Houston area. Major subcontracting was for the steel placement, gunite, plaster, tile and coping work, simply because we don't have subcontractors locally for those items and it's faster to hire it out vs his guys doing all aspects of construction. His crews would also do some of the steel and concrete, but larger projects were subcontracted out.

My concern with you hiring it done yourself, or hiring a Houston pool builder to build here would be getting a properly designed pool. We did countless repairs for jobs where a Houston crew came up and built a pool to the specs that they did in Houston and it didn't hold up to our shifting soils.

Also, if you are trying to contract yourself, you may get shuffled to the bottom of the list as their preferred builders demand more of their time. Plus, local builders should have done the tasks of weeding out the inferior sub contractors and will have more pull to get subs to the job on time and getting completed in a timely manner, not to mention getting them back for any warranty work.

Just my two cents...
FILO505
AG
Right on. Appreciate it. Figured it was worth the asking, but that makes a ton of sense. Thanks
Jetty
AG
Mobley built our pool 2 years ago. Have never regretted our decision. He has the rebar company use double the rebar. He'll tell you it's over kill but he'll also tell you he's never had a pool crack. He's more expensive than the other pool builders in the area but in my opinion worth the money.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your pool as much as we do!
Muzzleblast
Buy once, cry once with Gary Mobley.

He's good people.

Good value for your dollars.
Carnwellag2
I would rethink- putting a pool in is not worth it from an investment perspective, not worth it from a headache perspective, and pretty much the worst home decision you could make.

If you really want a pool in your backyard- you should move and buy a house with an existing pool- You still get the headaches, but you aren't throwing money away.

You can thank me later.
Frio Cielo
Two best days of my life.................
toolshed
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

I would rethink- putting a pool in is not worth it from an investment perspective, not worth it from a headache perspective, and pretty much the worst home decision you could make.

If you really want a pool in your backyard- you should move and buy a house with an existing pool- You still get the headaches, but you aren't throwing money away.

You can thank me later.

OP: "(Please, spare me your advice. I've done my research, understand the real estate implications, understand the maintenance)"
badbilly
AG
Aztec gunite in Houston will also build your pool
TexAg1987
You know, some people actually enjoy their pools.
aggiepaintrain
AG

Mobley built mine and it's awesome.
SCHTICK00
AG
Modern method did our gunite and plaster. Most professional group I've ever worked with. They warranty the shell for life.
EliteElectric
Sunshine built ours in 2007 no regrets.
InMyOpinion
tombdaddy504 said:

No, but I figured I could cut somewhere into the middle of that. But thanks for the helpful reply. Was looking into a bit of networking for this. You were super helpful.

No problem. Just find a few homes that are having a pool put in, get the subs info, get them to give you some bids. Let us know how it goes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.