People digging thru residential dumpsters

3,738 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GoneGirl
Rockdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
in CS (Creek Meadows subdivision). There is an older lady/man (not sure which because of coat and hat) with a brown shaggy dog on leash that goes from dumpster to dumpster and digs. Several days in a row now. I hate it that people have tough situations, but she doesn't look fully stable, and when she digs thru your trash a lot of it just end up on the ground and then she just walks away. Curious if anybody else has noticed her and who or what city entity should be contacted. I really don't want to call the cops on somebody like that.
CS78
Sounds like George. Creek Meadows though? Residential trash cans or actual dumpsters? He is usually seen in the central areas of town.
justalocal
Are you on the FB subdivision page? There is a thread about this woman. It's not George.
Rockdoc
AG
I don't FB. Can you tell me a little bit about the person?
justalocal
A few people have seen her digging in trash cans that are on property (not on the curbs). Also been a woman driving a maroon SUV taking pictures of houses, going up to garage, possibly took pics of children in a garage. Told homeowner she was with the mortgage company but mortgage company denies. May or may not be the same woman. Speculation that woman in maroon SUV is with hoa. I think someone has been trying to reach hoa.

No one has identified the person/people. Not sure if they live in the neighborhood.
Rockdoc
AG
Ok thanks. HOA may be a good place to start.
4lilmonkeys
That woman stopped by our neighbor's house in Southwood Valley about a year ago. We don't have an HOA.

It was nice day so we had the windows open. She pulled up in a newer maroon Honda Pilot, got out and started taking photos of their home. Our neighbors are retired and travel frequently. They happened to be out of town for the weekend, so I went out to see what was going on when I saw her pawing through the contents of their mailbox. She told me she was with the mortgage company and they were being foreclosed on. She asked me if I would let her into the backyard, then started asking if they had abandoned the property and if I was covering for them.

She had a lot of personal info about them AND their children, but when I said that I found it funny that she knew all of this and yet didn't know how to get in touch with them...you know, as their lender...she got back in her car and left.

Husband took a pic of her plates and vehicle and our neighbors contacted CSPD. Not sure what ever came of it.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
justalocal said:

Also been a woman driving a maroon SUV taking pictures of houses, going up to garage, possibly took pics of children in a garage. Told homeowner she was with the mortgage company but mortgage company denies.
I once had a part time job that paid me to visit certain houses and take pictures. Primarily it was of homes that were getting refinanced or were behind in mortgage payments and were close to foreclosure.Sometime it was a vehicle...car, truck, RV etc

Mortgage company will not disclose that to anyone who calls them. We were instructed to tell anyone who asked that we were from the mortgage company and leave. Anyone has a right to take a picture that is taken from public property ie street, sidewalk etc.

As for taking pictures of kids.....that was not something we did but if you are on public property you are free to take a picture of anyone or thing.

We also attached a small note to the door asking the homeowner to call a number. That number was the mortgage company collection department. We had to walk to the door to attach that note and that is also legal to do.

Rexter
I take home photos. If anyone questions what I am doing, I tell them. If anyone other than the homeowner has issues, they get an "eff off and mind your own business". I've had cops called on me, and as soon as they find out what I'm doing, they leave. Most departments know by now who I am and what I do, and tell the caller to not worry about it.
justalocal
Someone made a mention of refinance companies. According to those that have seen her (both the woman with dog and woman in SUV), they are going onto people's property.
Rockdoc
AG
Yes when she goes thru the dumpster when it's beside the house, she's on private property. On the street, not so much. I don't like it because things might start disappearing if you know what I mean.
75AG
AG
nm.
BCStalk
The city owns anything inside the dumpster once placed for pickup. Whether it's by your house or on the road, it is still illegal.
Prescient
Rexter said:

I take home photos. If anyone questions what I am doing, I tell them. If anyone other than the homeowner has issues, they get an "eff off and mind your own business". I've had cops called on me, and as soon as they find out what I'm doing, they leave. Most departments know by now who I am and what I do, and tell the caller to not worry about it.
Just curious, for what purpose would you ever take a photo of my home?
birdman
I always think of identity thieves when I see people going through peoples trash.
txyaloo
AG
Prescient said:

Rexter said:

Very common for appraisers to take photos for comparable homes when one of your neighbors is selling their house. The tax office in some areas will also send people out to take pictures
AggiePhil
AG
justalocal said:

Are you on the FB subdivision page? There is a thread about this woman. It's not George.

I'm on Friends of Creek Meadows and am not seeing anything about it. Which page was it posted on and on what date?
Rexter
Prescient said:

Rexter said:

Lots of things you do can require photos of your home. Repairs, remodeling, new or re-up insurance policies, mortgage financing, etc.

I don't do any photos on homes where the owners aren't aware that I will be on the property. I don't mind telling an inquisitive neighbor what I am doing, if they ask in a friendly manner. When people start off with foul language, or tell me "that's my friend's home and you need to get off their property", I explain that the owner knows someone will be there, and if they aren't the owner, then they should go back to their home. The ones that push the issue past that get "eff off".

Someone earlier commented about photos of kids. I don't photograph people for any reason. That's a major no-no that can void a contract.

Side story: A co-worker went into a gated community to photograph a home. The neighbor Wanted to play 20 questions, and wasn't satisfied with the answers. He took it upon himself to try to remove my co-worker from the property and neighborhood by shoving and then striking him. The neighbor ended up getting a free ride in a police car. It hasn't gone to court yet, but he did have assault charges pressed on him.
LJF78
We moved out of the creek meadow subdivision about a year ago. When we moved we had several bags on trash and stuff we were throwing away on the curb.. Looked outside about midnight and a family ( two older women and older man with young kids in the vehicle..it was an SUV but don't recall the color as it was dark) was going thru all the bags . Opening each one and going thru them with flashlights.
We didn't have anything with personal info on it . ...thought it was very odd. .. Not to mention after they ransacked thru all the stuff they left a huge mess.
4lilmonkeys
Those are just vultures seeing what they can find for free. We experienced that when we cleaned out my grandparent's home. Only I wasn't there to shoo them away and instead came back to the contents of their home strewn across their entire property.

By the way, in the story I posted above, I was very friendly and only got defensive when I felt she got too personal. Telling a neighbor that they're in foreclosure and asking about their children? I don't think that's right. I also don't believe that woman had honest intentions and I would beware if you find her on or near your property.
W
AG
the folks that take pictures of homes need to have one of those magnetic signs on the side of their auto that says "Joe's home appraiser or inspector" or something.

a lot of real estate agents and insurance agents do that to avoid or minimize unpleasant confrontations
PS3D
Rockdoc said:

in CS (Creek Meadows subdivision). There is an older lady/man (not sure which because of coat and hat) with a brown shaggy dog on leash that goes from dumpster to dumpster and digs. Several days in a row now. I hate it that people have tough situations, but she doesn't look fully stable, and when she digs thru your trash a lot of it just end up on the ground and then she just walks away. Curious if anybody else has noticed her and who or what city entity should be contacted. I really don't want to call the cops on somebody like that.
At best they need help and the cops can help people like that. At worst, they're up to no good, and either way calling the police is better than one of your more proactive neighbors taking things into their own hands. For example, recently I saw some screencap (from 4chan I think) somewhere that described some hobo going through the apartment complex's garbage, and the problem stopped after the guy put rat poison on the trash before tying it off.

Don't wait before someone's identity gets stolen or people get hurt before you do something.
justalocal
AggiePhil said:

justalocal said:

I'm on Friends of Creek Meadows and am not seeing anything about it. Which page was it posted on and on what date?
I'm not sure what page it is on, just Friends of Creek Meadows, the iPad just shows a running feed. Posted Wednesday at 1157AM. Has 65 comments. Starts off asking if anyone has seen a blonde hair middle aged woman in a maroon SUV....everything else I wrote is in comments.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Rexter said:

Someone earlier commented about photos of kids. I don't photograph people for any reason. That's a major no-no that can void a contract.

Yes, no pics could have people in them.

Really surprised at the number of neighborhood "lawyers" that try to stop you. One day I was standing in the city street and a guy tells me I am violating the law. I calmly tell him that I am not and I represent the mortgage company. He then tells me he is calling the police and I told him go head. No one ever threatened violence.

I was given a letter from my company to explain what I was doing in case the police ever asked me. It had a phone number to call but I never had to do that. Most police agencies know what is going on.

The picture taking is done all the time and 99% of the time no one even knows. It takes about 2 minutes and you are paid by the picture so you do not dilly dally.

When foreclosures were really common, I had to go inside these homes and take pictures in every room. I had a key. I would knock, unlock the door, yell out that I was from the mortgage company and then go inside, Many of these houses had furniture etc but were usually a mess. I remember one off Coulter that always had a window open. I would close it and lock it. When I would come back, the window was open again. I assume someone was living there.

Creepy.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Prescient said:

Are you making your payments on time? Are you refinancing? Something change in your financial situation such as divorce, rob a bank, etc?

If not, you probably have not had a picture taken of your house.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
BTW, responding to the picture taking question.

I have never dug through a trash can in my life.

However, it you want to witness this activity wait until the week after students move out after a semester. They throw away tons of furniture and I have seen people making the rounds picking it up probably reselling it to the new students for the next semester.

txyaloo
AG
W said:

the folks that take pictures of homes need to have one of those magnetic signs on the side of their auto that says "Joe's home appraiser or inspector" or something.

a lot of real estate agents and insurance agents do that to avoid or minimize unpleasant confrontations
Great idea for anyone up to no good. Go to a sign company and get phony realtor signs printed up. No one will ever bother them.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
This whole thread (especially all the posters talking about taking pictures) just gives me the creeps.
FlyRod
My feeling exactly...having in fact been stalked, and told by said person my house was being cased.
w8liftr
I'm surprised no one has addressed the digging through the mail (yes, I realize how bad that unintentional pun was). If you see someone going through a neighbor's mailbox, who do you call?
FlyRod
The police.

I hold my mail when I'm out of town, and have a friend pick up packages. I let my neighbors know what's going on, and what to look for if something seems suspect. Helps to have good neighbors and be on friendly terms with them.
GoneGirl
AG
LOL, in my neighborhood, they'd have their picture, a video of their car, license plates (tracked), and the exact time they entered and exited the neighborhood on the neighborhood crime watch page.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.