Bryan City Council Approves Apartment Complex Behind Hillier Funeral Home on Bristol

2,552 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by toolshed
Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/416891713.html

Going to be a mess in the neighborhood. What a terrible location for an apartment complex - inevitable overflow parking will go all the way down Bristol. This is also going to screw with parking for well attended services at Hillier.
Rapier108
As long as the developers own the city council, no way to stop them.

If we could get candidates who weren't part of the Southerland cabal, we might be able to stop this idiocy.
turfman80
AG
"If we could get candidates who weren't part of the Southerland cabal, we might be able to stop this idiocy."

Southerland voted against the proposal, and is usually known as pro-neighborhood rather than pro-development.
InMyOpinion
Ag13 said:

This is also going to screw with parking for well attended services at Hillier.

Why?
Ag13
AG
InMyOpinion said:

Ag13 said:

Why?
Because when overflow parking is needed for Hillier it goes down Bristol. A college apartment complex with only one parking space per bedroom is going to have overflow parking needs every single day.
InMyOpinion
Ag13 said:

InMyOpinion said:

Ag13 said:

Why?
Because when overflow parking is needed for Hillier it goes down Bristol. A college apartment complex with only one parking space per bedroom is going to have overflow parking needs every single day.

Gotcha. Wasn't sure if Hillier used the empty lot for overflow - Never been there.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
turfman80 said:

"If we could get candidates who weren't part of the Southerland cabal, we might be able to stop this idiocy."

Southerland voted against the proposal, and is usually known as pro-neighborhood rather than pro-development.
It would seem the lynchpin in the original statement is the term "Southerland cabal". Mike has made some unfortunate choices for political bedfellows in the past and it hurt his credibility with the overall electorate.
FlyRod
Two members of that "cabal" are no longer on the council, so not sure of the relevance of it...
Rapier108
turfman80 said:

Southerland represents the extreme opposite end, little or no growth at all.

There needs to be a balance and neither Southerland, or the developers owned councilmen we now have are the answer.
toolshed
AG
It's been zoned for office/ medical for years, from my understanding, and no one wanted to build there. So why not allow a building that increases the tax base. Use zoning for force them to have enough parking spaces vs allowing them to be shortsighted and spend less on parking. Use zoning to require minimal light spillage into neighboring yards, maybe even require a more substantial permant fence vs a cedar privacy fence.

It's not the best solution, especially if your house backs up to the property. But you bought knowing it was empty and for sale as a development. If it's that terrible, it seems to be the perfect opportunity to convert your house to a rental, upgrade your living situation and have a retirement income stream! Win win!
lightswitch
Quote:

But you bought knowing it was empty and for sale as a development. If it's that terrible, it seems to be the perfect opportunity to convert your house to a rental, upgrade your living situation and have a retirement income stream! Win win!

That is so true, a single family home with a couple of kids. They would definitely have the foresight to navigate the home buying process with the lot slated for medical, then learn it's not anymore/ financing/inspections/moving/kids moving to school to do what you suggest.

Bravo! It truly is a win win.
91_Aggie
AG
Sounds like HIllier didn't plan well for their own parking needs.
toolshed
AG
lightswitch said:

Quote:

But you bought knowing it was empty and for sale as a development. If it's that terrible, it seems to be the perfect opportunity to convert your house to a rental, upgrade your living situation and have a retirement income stream! Win win!

That is so true, a single family home with a couple of kids. They would definitely have the foresight to navigate the home buying process with the lot slated for medical, then learn it's not anymore/ financing/inspections/moving/kids moving to school to do what you suggest.

Bravo! It truly is a win win.

If you don't have the foresight to see that an empty commercial lot may be rezoned due to the needs or desires of market demands then so be it. But don't assume it's forever going to be green space, or only be the type of business you want to build there. Land gets rezoned all the time due to potential buyers and market demand.

I'd probably be upset that an apartment build behind me, but I wouldn't buy the house backing commercial property in the first place. Just my preference and forethought.
carpe vinum
AG
I don't know Bryan as well lately so I was curious about the outcome.
Crazy times when Mad Mike is the voice of reason.
Good luck, Bryan.
toolshed
AG
With the senior center across the street, they should make it a seniors only complex. They could ride their rascals across the road to play Bridge and it would keep the crazy drivers (like my grandmother) off the road more!
atp2007
The Council approved the complex but with 13 added conditions that must be agreed to by the developer in order for the project to go forward. The bottom line is that neither side got what they wanted. The neighborhood couldn't block development, but the developer didn't get free rein either. It was a Solomonesque cut the baby in half result. Of course none of the nuance of the result was reported by major media, who instead just reported that it was approved. The Council protected the property rights (including the right to develop) of the landowners while simultaneously trying to address the concerns of the other neighborhood members.
AC Hopper
S
Well then .... Can someone on here please post the 13 conditions associated with the approval?
Thanks.
techno-ag
AG
Toolshed knocking it out of the park on this thread. Glad everything worked out well.
halibut sinclair
TexasAggie_02
AG
toolshed said:

With the senior center across the street, they should make it a seniors only complex. They could ride their rascals across the road to play Bridge and it would keep the crazy drivers (like my grandmother) off the road more!
and when they get run over by traffic, just take them to hilliers!
toolshed
AG
I was going to make the connection, but I had already pushed some buttons, so I didn't want to get hammered for being morbid or uncouth.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.