Where can I buy plants except Lowes/Producers etc.

5,962 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tailgate88
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...more specifically are there any nurseries open to the public? I'm interested in a a dozen or more Knockout Roses and they are $15/each at Lowes. I'm wondering if there is a better price somewhere nearby? (Also interested in other plants, we are re-doing our entire front landscaping this Saturday with the help of the Big Event.)
nashvilleaggie11
Circle D Nurseries on Finfeather
http://circlednurseries.com
FlyRod
Farm Patch.
Jetty
AG
+1 for Farm Patch! Great selection and they have knowledge about their plants!
LunitadelNox
$15 for a knock out rose is a good price if it's a 2 gallon size or higher. Most quality garden centers sell them for $19 - $25.

The only other place you will find them cheaper is Costco. I've seen them there for $12 for a 2 gallon. Not sure about Sam's.

Source: Work in the industry.
Tailgate88
AG
Upon further research, Lowes has the best price by far. Farm Patch was $19.95, Producers was $24.95, Circle D was $21.50.

Appreciate the input!
AggieWife2008
S
If you can wait a little bit, the TAMU Horticulture Club is putting on their annual plant sale on April 1st. I don't know if they will have knockout roses but looks like they will have Belinda's Dream roses. Get there early because the popular stuff goes fast!

From the TAMU Horticulture Club FB page:

The TAMU Horticulture Club will be putting on our annual Spring Plant sale on the lawn outside the HFSB on the A&M campus!

Saturday, April 1 at 9 AM - 4:30 PM
A.G.S.
AG
Not sure if you might know, but I am trying to get some native fruit trees for my lot, and very few places seem to have any sort of selection.

Circle D has some Mexican Plum trees, but I'm also trying to find a somewhere that has native Persimmon trees. Also if ya know of any other places that have Mexican Plums or Chickasaw Plums I'd be extremely grateful (trying to shop around).

jskin261
Site One supply off hwy 30
eye3guy
AG
Antique Rose Emporium in Independence. Take FM 60 west to FM 50 south, turn left ... about 30 min. from College Station. Great plants, wonderful setting, informed staff and decent prices.
LunitadelNox
Persimmon trees are hard to find around here because of our thick clay, but they will grow here if they drain well. Since they prefer rocky soil, not many places in the Brazos Valley carry them.

Discount Trees of Brenham does carry them:

http://www.discounttreesofbrenham.com/nursery/fruit-berry-and-nut-trees/other-fruits/texas-persimmon/

Don't know of any nurseries here in College Station or Bryan that do though.
FlyRod
Saw avocado trees at Farm Patch today, first time ever. I asked Mr. Scarmardo if they produce around here and he said yep, but you must keep them in pots as they have zero cold tolerance. They were NOT cheap.

I'll probably give it a shot...and it will join the ranks of my blueberry bush and goji berry bush that refuse to produce fruit. Sigh...
Aggies76
AG
Has anyone seen any satsuma orange trees? I lost mine in the freeze.
patrick.redmill
Knockout roses are going to be plentiful and priced competitively at big box stores. That's probably the *only* plant I would buy at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I get all my stuff at Circle D (great succulents and trees), kind of pricey though. America's Country Store has a much, much smaller collection, but it's high quality and cheaper. Antique Rose Emporium is great, but a little too far for me to go.
The Original AG 76
AG
patrick.redmill said:

Knockout roses are going to be plentiful and priced competitively at big box stores. That's probably the *only* plant I would buy at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I get all my stuff at Circle D (great succulents and trees), kind of pricey though. America's Country Store has a much, much smaller collection, but it's high quality and cheaper. Antique Rose Emporium is great, but a little too far for me to go.

Americas in Wellborn is no longer selling plants.
Birddog
AG
Keep in mind, Lowes has a one year guarantee on plants. That is the best thing about getting anything there. I have used it quite a few times.
FlyRod
Also keep in mind that, knockout roses aside, the big box stores tend to carry plants that are not necessarily fit for our area...which is the case with fruit trees and bushes especially. Farm Patch and Producers tend to carry what does well around BCS.
EBrazosAg
AG
Bare root trees from Womack Nursery in DeLeon are really nice. Take a bit to get established. But they have a unmatched selection.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sinuso
AG
Brookwood Community in Brookshire. It's a bit of a drive, but they have the best selection and highest quality around. Plus your $$ supports their cause (Special Needs adults). Everything is germinated and propagated on site, so you don't have to worry about plants from Virginia trying to survive in Texas....
baileysgram
Investigate The Natural Gardener in Austin. Definitely worth a day trip there!
CS78
AggieWife2008 said:

If you can wait a little bit, the TAMU Horticulture Club is putting on their annual plant sale on April 1st. I don't know if they will have knockout roses but looks like they will have Belinda's Dream roses. Get there early because the popular stuff goes fast!

From the TAMU Horticulture Club FB page:

The TAMU Horticulture Club will be putting on our annual Spring Plant sale on the lawn outside the HFSB on the A&M campus!

Saturday, April 1 at 9 AM - 4:30 PM

How are the prices?
LunitadelNox
I've gone the past two years. Not any cheaper than most places around here. More expensive than Lowes or Home Depot.

I go looking for specific plants that I can't find anywhere else. Specifically, native plants.
patrick.redmill
The Original AG 76 said:

patrick.redmill said:

No kidding? What a shame. I picked up some ornamental grasses there last Fall and I normally buy my dog food there. Must be a new decision.
The Original AG 76
AG
patrick.redmill said:

The Original AG 76 said:

patrick.redmill said:

No kidding? What a shame. I picked up some ornamental grasses there last Fall and I normally buy my dog food there. Must be a new decision.

they decided that the sales $/per sq ft just didnt justify the space. remember the plant buying season is only about 5 or 6 months max. They are going to convert the space to better use.
studioone
The actual real reason is that they cannot find a good plant manager. The past two they've had have started working for them and then TAMU offers them a job, a degree, health insurance, etc,...

they hired one and he quit in a month and started his masters and his new job...
Tailgate88
AG
So, anyone know where there are Day Lilies available in town? Have struck out at all the usual places.
WildlifeAg02
The Brazos County Master Gardener sale is also Apr 1.
http://www.brazosmg.com/

They have a plant list up, I believe.

Also, both sales are akin to a Black Friday when it comes to crowds. Sometimes, I make both, because it can be fun. The BCMG sale does have a lot of locally-propagated plants as well.

AggieWife2008
S
I would say close to Lowes/Home Depot but I rather give my money to the TAMU Horticulture Club.
AggieJason
AG
Martha's Bloomers
dave99ag
AG
Arbor Gate in Tomball has a pretty diverse selection if you're looking for a day trip.
Aggie5050
Does arbor gate carry trees as well? Their website makes it seem like they might not.
The Original AG 76
AG
Aggie5050 said:

Does arbor gate carry trees as well? Their website makes it seem like they might not.
yes they do
Frio Cielo
If you are going north anytime, there is a nursery just south of Buffalo on Hwy 79 that is very good. I bought five perennial hibiscus there yesterday.

As far as satsumas go, buy the Artic Frost and Orange Frost varieties as they both will take temps down to 20 degrees F. Mine went through this last winters 19 degrees with no damage.

For Mexican plums, I would go out now and identify a few small trees in bloom, 2 to 5 feet tall on the edges of some wooded land and see if the owner would allow you to dig a few small ones. Get as much roots as you can and cut back the top 1/3 to 1/2 the way and they will survive.
TKDMom
Quote:

So, anyone know where there are Day Lilies available in town? Have struck out at all the usual places.

Home Depot had day lily bulbs for sale last weekend. They were in the bulb section in the entrance to the store.

Brewmaster
AG
FlyRod said:

Saw avocado trees at Farm Patch today, first time ever. I asked Mr. Scarmardo if they produce around here and he said yep, but you must keep them in pots as they have zero cold tolerance. They were NOT cheap.

I'll probably give it a shot...and it will join the ranks of my blueberry bush and goji berry bush that refuse to produce fruit. Sigh...
I hope you're really patient, it's usually around 5 or more years (if grafted) before they produce. If they're started from seed, even longer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.