Bryan to Host Forum on Aggieshacks

3,832 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JP76
Post removed:
by user
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
People complain about HOA's, but these things are why we live in a neighborhood with an active one.
eloc62
this is so weird. that was my property and where my house stood 12 years ago before we sold it. a church was across the street. my family used to own the adjoining property on back side of that lot and the one across the street next to the church.
toolshed
AG
Weird is a good descriptor...
FlyRod
I hope there is a good turnout. Bryan still has neighborhoods with housing that middle and lower income folks can actually afford. If we become a community where the choices are either student housing or $500,000+ houses, we are in deep, deep trouble.
dallasiteinsa02
They need to require them to have at least a two car garage. That is a pretty normal subdivision ordinance,
redd38
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

They need to require them to have at least a two car garage. That is a pretty normal subdivision ordinance,
Do you consider the street a "garage"? Cause these houses usually have cars parked out in the street.
dallasiteinsa02
redd38 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Do you consider the street a "garage"? Cause these houses usually have cars parked out in the street.
That is the biggest problem. Areas aren't designed to accommodate a car per bedroom.
Rapier108
dallasiteinsa02 said:

redd38 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

That is the biggest problem. Areas aren't designed to accommodate a car per bedroom.
Yep. There is a house (non-Aggieshack) on Tanglewood and Carter Creek which has at least 8 people living in it. They park their cars on the streets, mostly TW, which makes it impossible to turn off CC onto TW if there is any oncoming traffic. If there is a car parked at the house on the opposite side, forget it. God forbid a firetruck or ambulance needs to get down that street because they could not do it.

The three Aggieshacks at North Ave. and Broadmoor Dr. aren't much better.
FlyRod
It would be fun to locate where the developers of these things live, and subject them to the same stuff the students in the Agshacks subject residents to...throw loud parties in front of their houses, drive across their lawns, toss beer cans and bottles on their lawns, park dozens of cars and trucks in front of their houses, etc.
Gigem314
AG
Stupe said:

People complain about HOA's, but these things are why we live in a neighborhood with an active one.
Yep. That's exactly why we bought where we did.
Scotch
AG
Huge crowd, no time allotted for comments/questions as a room. They apparently anticipated a smaller crowd and did have a number of staff on hand to discuss issues one-on-one, which would have worked well if only one third the turnout of 80-100 had shown up.
TellMeMore
Frustrated and angry, people left without venting. Staff was there, but they cannot make promises since Council makes the rules. COB is chasing dollars. Long time home owners will lose their quality of life and the City has nothing in place, or on the horizon to fix it. It will be like College Station, but more wide spread. There are more old neighborhoods in Bryan. Somehow, they must find a way to set the default for development on re dos of old houses, rather than scraping and building stealth dorms. Shame on you City of Bryan, if you let this happen. But there is still time to stop it.
bcstx06
Its crazy what the AgShacks are doing to Bryan neighborhoods close to campus. I knew it was happening in College Station but in the past few months I have seen many homes in rows torn down on the Bryan side and replaced with these. I wish they would just make them look more like big family houses and move the parking from the front yards to somewhere else. Maybe a driveway instead.
b0ridi
When I lived in a house in Bryan near Texas/Villa Maria, four unrelated students lived in the 4BR house next to me. It wasn't a big deal until their boyfriends all moved in as well, so that 6 or 7 cars/trucks were at the house constantly. I reported this to the appropriate division of the City (Matthew Hilgemeier) with photos & everything, but they never did anything. What good is zoning if the City won't enforce it?
turfman80
AG
Nothing seems to stand in the way of increasing the tax base, regardless of the harm done to existing citizens / neighborhoods.
FlyRod
There are some near me, but I am extremely grateful there are none on my street, or the adjacent streets. I see no signs of any houses that might be slated for demolition and replacement either.

This is a good thing to think about come election time for council members.
Rapier108
FlyRod said:

This is a good thing to think about come election time for council members.
The problem is we keep getting stuck between two extremes in candidates.

Either we get the developers backed candidates like we have now, or the Southerland candidates who want no growth and to spend all money in just one or two districts.
FlyRod
That's a good point. We should be able to do better than this.
nashvilleaggie11
Yep. I live in a Residential Neighborhood Conservation District (R-NC) in Bryan and there is a literal frat house in our quiet residential neighborhood. It is being leased and owners live in Houston. I have complained to the City about this house for over a year...there are DEFINITELY at least 5 unrelated people living in that house...you can tell by the cars parked there and many other indicators. The City is too lazy to do anything about it. It is also a disgusting eye sore so I make sure to call every little code violation in...get them on something because the City won't do anything else.
Frio Cielo
dallasiteinsa02 said:

redd38 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Actually, they are required to have an off-road parking spot for each bedroom but the problem is is that, one you have more people living there than the # bedrooms and two, they don't want to park behind each other and have to move vehicles out of the way so half of the residents park on the street.

A requirement in the residential family areas of a two car garage for each dwelling on new builds would be a reasonable restriction.
BlueMiles
AG
Bryan residents may want to take the survey here: www.bryantx.gov/rhen/
WheelinAg
AG
Well crap, I essentially live caddy corner to this newist addition. Looks like my motivation to move elsewhere just got much kicked up an notch.

https://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/SDRC/2017%20SDRC/3-28-17/RP17-16%20Country%20Club%20Estates,%203-28-17.pdf
mgreen
I will get blasted for this but here goes. In College Station the homes they are tearing down are eye soars for the most part. These Ag Shacks look 100% better than what they replaced. I think they look sharp. I only wish they would do an entire street instead of having them scattered. The CS folks are complaning that their property taxes are going up because their neighborhood is now more valueable which proves my point. What am I missing except you do not want to live near college students?
TellMeMore
Get back to me in 5, 7, 9 years. Tell me what you have then. I know there are alot of scrapers out there, but redo an existing house and update it. I am afraid the 2017 rebuilds will look like crack houses in 7 years. Then what?
threecatcorner
unless you are planning to sell your house, how does the property value going up help you? doesn't it just mean you will be paying more tax? pretty sure the higher tax is why people were complaining.
Midtown SAHD
I don't believe your statement that people are complaining about values going up because college kids are moving in. I can't think of any family that wants to live around the kids. They are loud, messy, inconsiderate and don't take care of their property... and that's the good ones. Don't get me wrong, I like living in a college town because the students are great to have at the grocery stores, restaurants and church, but they are just not good neighbors. Segregation between the student housing and established neighborhoods would only benefit everyone involved. Well, except the developers.
jt2hunt
AG
Good for people buying investment properties
Most are hardiboard so paint is all that will be needed on the outside
JP76
jt2hunt said:

Good for people buying investment properties
Most are hardiboard so paint is all that will be needed on the outside

Except for the ones that are built using pine fascia and trim to cut corners that get zero primer and 1 cost of the cheapest paint out there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.