Is Charles Schwertner fighting for A&M in the Senate?

3,749 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 75AG
MaysGrad09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas A&M's budget could be slashed

State Sen. Charles Schwertner was "unavailable" for comment.
MaysGrad09
And then there's this:

Charles Schwertner Resolution would cap withdrawals from Permanent University Fund at 6 percent

Quote:

Texas A&M System Vice Chancellor for Marketing and Communications Laylan Copelin said officials with the institution "respectfully disagree" with the move.

"With the current proposals in the Senate to cut A&M's funding by tens of millions of dollars -- for the first time not paying for student enrollment growth and taking money that ordinarily would go to A&M and using a 'Robin Hood' approach to send that money to other schools -- this is not a good time to also restrict PUF funds that might help make up the difference," Copelin said.

Copelin said even the potential behind the approach is "very dangerous," as it could give critics of the fund a way to cut its funding further or eliminate it altogether.

"The last thing we need on the Senate floor is a constitutional amendment that can be used as a vehicle to take PUF away from A&M and UT," Copelin said. "We know that some legislators and elected officials are looking for a vehicle to take PUF away from us. This could easily be that vehicle."
75AG
AG
Why would he? He lives in Round Rock.
lost my dog
75AG said:

Because College Station is in his district, that's why.

But he has not shown much interest in helping A&M during his time as a state senator. A&M certainly misses Ogden
75AG
AG
lost my dog said:

75AG said:

Because College Station is in his district, that's why.

But he has not shown much interest in helping A&M during his time as a state senator. A&M certainly misses Ogden
Yep.
biobioprof
Maybe Ogden did more than I recall, but I've never been that impressed with how our local legislators work with higher ed. But mostly that comes from my reaction whenever the TAMU administration blames stupid policies on state laws.
FlyRod
In my personal interactions with Raney, and I've had many, I've found him to be quite receptive and thoughtful re TAMU issues.

The Texas leg has the highest % of members with degrees from A&M or UT then their counterparts in places like NC or WI which are seeing the demolition of higher ed. Thus there are reasons to be optimistic about Texas pols and at least those two schools.
FlyRod
I would add that while such cuts are tough, TAMU has weathered them before, and often far far better than UT or Tech. We're pretty resilient and adaptable.
95_Aggie
AG
If you watched Chancellor McRaven's testimony in front of the Senate committee you would have seen that there is something up between Schwertner and UTIMCO's management. He definitely doesn't trust them for some reason.
Muzzleblast
Post secondary education is a financial black hole.

The budgets should be slashed.

Universities might think twice about putting families in huge debt getting kids "degrees" that are worthless in the marketplace.

O.G.
The Senator is very busy fighting the high speed rail project from Houston to Dallas.
MaysGrad09
AGnCS said:

If you watched Chancellor McRaven's testimony in front of the Senate committee you would have seen that there is something up between Schwertner and UTIMCO's management. He definitely doesn't trust them for some reason.

Schwertner seems to have a distrust of all higher ed. With his opposition to TAMU it's surprising he gets any votes in Brazos County.
FlyRod
A LOT of folks in the Brazos Valley are viscerally hostile to higher education, so it's not surprising at all.
Texas A & M
Schwertner will have 4 challengers next month, including a Republican.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/incumbent-schwertner-faces-challenger-in-texas-district-seat-primary-three/article_800249f8-91ce-5808-89c4-8dcc81a4bbc8.html
classicdoug
AG
Schwertner lost my vote when he co sponsored a bill last year to allow adoptees access to their original birth certificates. He assured me he would vote for it then let Donna Campbell talk him into a vote against the bill he co sponsored. That and other things he's doing (or not doing) will make me go to the polls against him.
basketaggie
AG
With DNA testing so easy to do, most states are going to have to realize that unsealing of the birth certificates is already a lost battle. It is very strange to think that a woman was guaranteed that it wouldn't be unsealed, but the truth is, by having 2nd and 3rd cousins alone DNA testing, that all went out the window and Pandora's box is opened. ClassicDoug- if you are an adoptee searching for family, I would suggest looking into using DNA testing.
classicdoug
AG
Already done. My wife is adopted and I found her birth parents using DNA with the closest matches being 3rd cousins. Sure that was a great help in my search, but states are granting rights to original birth certificates left and right. However, for some reason, Donna Campbell has been able to hold something over these senator's heads to not let it happen in Texas. My wife searched for years with no luck. We found her birth mother 6 years after her birth mother died. There's no reason that needs to happen to anyone else.
basketaggie
AG
Totally agree with you. I really don't understand why they are holding out, because with DNA databases growing so rapidly, there are really no reasons to keep them sealed any longer. I'm glad you were able to locate her birth mother, but I'm sad to hear she has already passed.
Texas A & M
Rep. John Raney faces three GOP challengers for District 14 House seat and one Democrat.

Quote:

If elected (or re-elected), what are the three top issues you would want to tackle in the next legislative session?

Davis (R): Property tax reform, greatly improve the funding of primary education, support legislation that benefits Texas A&M University and its students.
Link

That's refreshing.
Stupe
S
Lone Stranger
THAT Davis!!!! Has he been quiet long enough to hope people forgot his problems?
Stupe
S
I would prefer him over Wilkinson. That guy is a lock step Liberal that in no way represents the majority of people in this area.

- Anti-Trump card: Played it.

- White privilege card: Played it

- Identify as whatever you feel at the moment card: Played it

- It's ok to take private land card: Played it
Oogway
Neither one are optimal candidates IMO. And no, I haven't forgotten what happened in the past.
EBrazosAg
AG
Chuck is way too worried about setting up for a statewide office to worry about anything in his district if it does not advance his personal goals. Interesting thing is - he is almost universally disliked by fellow senators and house representatives, including those in his own party. He has a high Ted Cruz - like "I'm the smartest guy in the room and I know it" factor going from what I hear, and he's not as smart as Ted......That being said, he will get re elected despite ignoring our part of the district.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stupe
S
The difference is...Ted often is the smartest guy in the room.
Summer Breeze
AG
I will be voting for Harold Ramm in the Republican primary for most of the reasons listed above.

ETA - Ramm is opposing Schwertner
75AG
AG
Stupe said:

The difference is...Ted often is the smartest guy in the room.
Man, that's one tiny room.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.