Need some Texags magic

2,084 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Esteban du Plantier
Samsill98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out the name of the pool hall/sports bar that used to be at 1601 S. Texas Ave.

Here's the kicker - I'm trying to figure out what it was in 2004?!?

Right now, it's the TITLE Boxing but does anyone have any idea what it might have been in 2004? I know POETS is down the stripmall right now, but I don't think it was POETS back then. I also think it might have been called Bullwinkle's at one point.

Anyone have any ideas on the name in 2004?

I appreciate the help.
always gig em
Samsill98
AG
I posted it the General Board as well, I may have misspoke - it wasn't a pool hall, but more of a bar/sports bar that had a room with 2 or 3 pool tables.

Some have said they thought it sounded like Margarita Rocks - does that sound familiar to anyone?
Prune Tracy
Yeah - Margarita Rocks. They used to have dodgeball in that side room.
betas2000
AG
Yep sounds about right they closed around 2010
Tailgate88
AG
Margarita Rocks is correct and it was Bullwinkles before that. Was also Mama's pizzza at one point.
MiMi
S
Wasn't it also a very short-lived Cajun place?
Samsill98
AG
Gangster Octopus said:

Yeah - Margarita Rocks. They used to have dodgeball in that side room.
The place I'm thinking about did not have dodgeball. It was kinda dank. Here's a couple pics if it helps (probably should have posted this first).

Cancelled
AG
Hornbeck's?
Wildmen03
AG
Alfred T Hornbacks was going to be my guess. It was next to Acme Glass
Prune Tracy
1601 shows to be the end of Culpepper Plaza, across Dominik from Blue Baker. It was Bullwinkles when I was in high school. That closed in the mid 90s and at some point around 99-01 it was Crab City. That place closed with no notice - the employees showed up one day to signs on the doors saying it was closed. I lived down the street on Dominik at the time and remember it well. It may have been something after that, but it was definitely Margarita Rocks in the mid 00s. I used to go there for lunch after 2004. Their house margaritas were orange and had a sour taste to them. Not that appealing.
ChampsAg
Margarita Rocks

$1 wells. Watched the Aggies beat KU there
Samsill98
AG
Thanks everyone! VERY helpful - Texags never fails.
AggieJason
AG
queso1 said:

Hornbeck's?
You mean Hornback's. That was my old stompin' ground. I miss that place.
Counterpoint
AG
This will out me as an old, but I can't believe Bullwinkle's is gone. That place was always INSANELY packed on karaoke nights (Wednesdays?) when I was in school in the 90's.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I went to a mixer with my girlfriend there fall 2004, freshman year. Got kicked out because I wasn't in the fraternity throwing the party

Margarita Rocks is the answer, with 100% certainty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.