Anyone remember what used to be where...

3 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgDotCom
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Burdett & Son is located now? I think the address is 1055 S Texas. It's an odd little space.
starbuck128
AG
M&M scuba, snow ski and windsurf.
AggiePhil
AG
Heard something about an ice cream shop with a carousel and then a travel agency. That ring any bells?
UmustBKidding
Its tours and travels. Did a telex to microcomputer gateway back in the 80s so they could arrange their tours to Russia.
Roc96
AG
Yes- I bought a ski vacation from ITS back in my student days. That's where it was.
BCStalk
Bumper boats next to Enterprise and catching dollar movies at Shulman theaters
AggiePhil
AG
...Harvey Washbangers is?
DisneyFan5
Where Harvey Washbangers is used to be Mazzio's pizza at some point.
EVA3
AG
DisneyFan5 said:

It was originally built as a Mazzio's Pizza.
DBSwooper
DisneyFan5 said:

Did Washbangers open around 1997 or so? I moved here in 1998 and I seem to remember it being fairly new. Even though it was more expensive it was still better than that laundry place that was down the strip from Sweet Eugene's/behind Apple Tree that served beer for a while.
GoneGirl
AG
The Barszap's owned it for years and years. It was primarily their tour and travel agency. Mike is a retired professor who used to arrange educational tours to the Soviet Union. I was actually working for them when the Soviet Union fell and he transitioned into tours for Russia and Eastern Europe.

Sabina ran the travel agency part of the business.

One section was leased by an insurance agent, and the other side was temporarily leased by a guy who did spa/massage type stuff.

BaitShack
AG
That one place use to be a Spatula City I think.

AgDotCom
AggiePhil said:

Heard something about an ice cream shop with a carousel and then a travel agency. That ring any bells?
Yes. There was an ice cream shop with a small carousel there. Mid 1960s, I got sick on some peppermint with peppermint crunches ice cream there.....couldn't enjoy anything in moderation and still can't. Can't remember the name....Dutch Treat maybe...or was that the previous name of the Schlotzky's or sandwich shop in the small building across from the old Luby's / current Cafe Eccel?

I'm old enough to remember these places, but also old enough to forget their names. Hope someone who's not dead yet comes here and confirms, it's bugging me and there are getting to be fewer of us who were around in those days.
AggiePhil
AG
Same building as the current one or different?
AgDotCom

90% sure it was in the same building. 50 years has an effect on the memory. The building facade has changed over the years, but the width / length appears to be the same.

Let's see, next door to the north is / was Sambos / Wings N More / Stacked Enchiladas / tear down / Cain's.

To the south, Chili's....don't know why I can't remember what was there prior to Chili's, at least right now I can't.

Today's Torchy's was Homer Norton's restaurant in the mid 60s, I think.

Edit: Neighbor to the north is the flower shop, don't think it was that building.
PS3D
Restaurant on the other side of former Luby's - Dutch Kettle, then Schlotzsky's. Spent last years open as a donut shop.
Chili's - appeared to be empty land prior to '91, possible former home lots
Torchy's - same building at 1962 Coach Norton's Pancake House
taxpreparer
AG
AgDotCom said:

AggiePhil said:

Yes. There was an ice cream shop with a small carousel there. Mid 1960s, I got sick on some peppermint with peppermint crunches ice cream there.....couldn't enjoy anything in moderation and still can't. Can't remember the name....Dutch Treat maybe...or was that the previous name of the Schlotzky's or sandwich shop in the small building across from the old Luby's / current Cafe Eccel?

I'm old enough to remember these places, but also old enough to forget their names. Hope someone who's not dead yet comes here and confirms, it's bugging me and there are getting to be fewer of us who were around in those days.
It was a small coffee shop, but I don't remember its name. There was also miniature glf course right about that location, or maybe where Applebees is?
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
taxpreparer
AG
PS3D said:

Restaurant on the other side of former Luby's - Dutch Kettle, then Schlotzsky's. Spent last years open as a donut shop.
Yes, you have great memory!
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
PS3D
taxpreparer said:

PS3D said:

Yes, you have great memory!
You just have to know where to look, Newspapers.com OCR for Torchy's and Dutch Kettle, and HistoricAerials from Chili's. The Stalworth Real Estate lists the opening for Chili's [http://www.stalworth.com/commercial/chilisrestaurant]
AgDotCom
PS3D said:

You just have to know where to look, Newspapers.com OCR for Torchy's and Dutch Kettle, and HistoricAerials from Chili's. The Stalworth Real Estate lists the opening for Chili's [http://www.stalworth.com/commercial/chilisrestaurant]

Nice work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.