Housing Availability in College Station

3,145 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by vwbug
miller123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you live in the College Station area please fill out this survey for my class project:

Thanks

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfq36GByRY9rjuTMju5013DEwVA2tKtg28DBuF0hYLqrMyzyg/viewform?usp=sf_link
CS78
College Station has plenty of affordable housing, just north of University Drive. One community.
RG20
What do call affordable? You can not get a decent 3 bedroom home in a good neighborhood for less than $1300. If that were "affordable" then more folks would by houses. So, what do you mean by affordable? Anything less than the above price means living in ****ty houses. Housing is overpriced and marked up way to high especially here in BCS.
threecatcorner
Less than that price alternatively means staying in a smaller place (1 or 2 bedrooms instead of 3) or getting a roommate which adults who are already done with college should not have to do but is offered as an option when people ask realtors to help them find a place.

I don't know how people who need affordable housing can buy here (and I mean about half that amount mentioned in the other post). I habe heard that people who have mortgages can get their payments down that low (or at any rate, lower than what it costs to rent), but figuring out the amount one could afford when the house's appraisal value is likely going to skyrocket and therefore the house's taxes will skyrocket seems very risky. What if you figure one amount you can afford for mortgage plus tax and then the valued gets thrown off by construction of non-similar properties? You could potentially wind up with the house getting foreclosed and then need to rent again and there's still nothing reasonable out there.

There is very little affordable housing because everything is built and priced for multiple students to share so that a certain amount (say $500) sounds affordable per bedroom if different people are paying it but is completely unaffordable if one person is paying for all rooms (one working parent, stay-at-home parent, and a few kids).

Pretty much anything done for "affordable housing" here is focused on low-income (like Habitat for Humanity houses), but there is mostly nothing even considered for middle income.
lightswitch
From my understanding, affordability is how much the bank deems that you can pay a mortgage... So the notion of affordability is subjective, since it doesn't take into account what a person can truely afford. And cannot predict what they can afford in the future, if say, they loose their job, have a baby, get an illness, dwindling savings, stock market crashing, etc.

So this month you can afford the house, two months from now you may not be able to afford the same house.

Gigemaggies123
yeah this topic is interesting to me. The last question was who is responsible for affordable housing. I would think that the people looking for the housing is responsible. Not the gubmint, or the church, or anyone else. In a capitalist economy, if you can't afford it then either make more money, or move some where more affordable. I fail to see why people feel like they should have things subsidized because they're not doing as well as others.
SARATOGA
Affordable housing isn't BUILT, it is FOUND.

Meaning if you can't afford to live somewhere, move to somewhere you can afford.

I'm always amazed by people in urban areas complaining about rental prices (New York, Boston, Chicago, California) - if you can't afford to live there, move to somewhere else. I bet rent is real cheap in Cleveland or Des Moine or Milwaukee.
Stucco
The market has already self-corrected. Is there an issue now? Besides the fact that we are going to have some people upside-down in a few years that overpaid due to lack of market inventory.
Post removed:
by user
LOYAL AG
AG
"Affordable" is a political buzzword with no real meaning. It's a way for a certain side of the aisle to whine about market prices with coming right out and saying "I don't understand economics".
RafterAg223
AG
Stucco said:

The market has already self-corrected. Is there an issue now? Besides the fact that we are going to have some people upside-down in a few years that overpaid due to lack of market inventory.

This. These people paying $185 to $200 a foot for non craftsman semi custom specs in Indian Lakes and Pebble Creek are going to be in for a rude awakening at some point. I know the subcontractor market has been tight, but in most cases these builders don't have more than $110 a foot in these homes.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
So those builders are making $225k on a $555k house? Come on, there's absolutely no way.
threecatcorner
Slocum on a mobile said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when the local companies can't get folks to accept their positions because the housing is more expensive than Houston.

This. B/CS used to have a low cost of living (cheap rent and reasonable housing prices), so places could pay less than Dallas or Houston but refer potential employees to the lower cost of living such that the lower pay with lower cost of living was still as good as or slightly better than the higher pay, higher cost of living, and worse traffic in those cities.

We still have a better combination of salaries and cost of living than some places (take the salaries in NYC and some parts of California with a grain of salt because it is going to cost so much more to either buy or rent there that the higher salary isn't as good as it would be anywhere else).
RafterAg223
AG
chrisfield said:

So those builders are making $225k on a $555k house? Come on, there's absolutely no way.
$110 max on construction not including land, so another $30 to $35 in land to come in around $140 per foot. These ~3500 square foot houses selling for $650,000 to $700,000 right now have nothing more in them than the same product you can buy now in suburban Dallas and Houston for $525,000 to $550,000.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
So you think the local builders are just netting an extra $100k+ per house more than the builders in those cities? It has nothing to do with supply/demand of subs and those guys being in more demand and being able to charge higher because there are hardly enough to go around?
RafterAg223
AG
Supply has a lot to do with it for sure, but when you pay $185 plus per foot in this market right now, you aren't getting the same finishes and features you should get at that price point. These homes are really a terrible value right now for the features they are offering. When a lot more lots get dumped on the market in the next 3 years and rates continue to tick up, we will see some pretty good downward pressure on prices.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
SARATOGA said:

Affordable housing isn't BUILT, it is FOUND.

Meaning if you can't afford to live somewhere, move to somewhere you can afford.

I'm always amazed by people in urban areas complaining about rental prices (New York, Boston, Chicago, California) - if you can't afford to live there, move to somewhere else. I bet rent is real cheap in Cleveland or Des Moine or Milwaukee.

Have you ever been to Milwaukee? It's pretty desirable. I wouldn't think rent is cheap. Maybe relative to Manhattan it's cheap, but not absolutely cheap.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
chrisfield said:

A house that costs $100 per square foot to build should have a lot of high end upgrades. I work in construction and just moved from the Fort Worth area to BCS two months and there's not that big of a difference in labor and material.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I don't disagree. But I don't think the margins are quite what is suggested here. I think a shortage of subs is driving up pricing more than the builders making enormous profits per house. Business is good, no doubt. But those numbers seemed a stretch.
txgardengirl
Rafter - your land cost is way off.

As a side note, in real estate we normally estimate a home to cost about 4x the lot price. Lots in Indian Lakes and the new section of Pebble are going for over $100k. In Castlegate 2 - the small section with 55' foot lots - those lots are $60-80k. You're seeing an increase in multiple level homes to offset the land space and keep the $/sf down.

I've sold quite a few of the homes that you call falsely inflated and seen the bottom line of what the builder walks away with. If it was $100k plus they would be throwing them up a lot faster!

With the lack of available land in CSISD (not College Station, but the school district), prices will remain high.
RafterAg223
AG
txgardengirl said:

Rafter - your land cost is way off.

As a side note, in real estate we normally estimate a home to cost about 4x the lot price. Lots in Indian Lakes and the new section of Pebble are going for over $100k. In Castlegate 2 - the small section with 55' foot lots - those lots are $60-80k. You're seeing an increase in multiple level homes to offset the land space and keep the $/sf down.

I've sold quite a few of the homes that you call falsely inflated and seen the bottom line of what the builder walks away with. If it was $100k plus they would be throwing them up a lot faster!

With the lack of available land in CSISD (not College Station, but the school district), prices will remain high.
My land cost is off? I'm attributing $35 in land to a 3500 foot home. Are you telling me that lots cannot be had for $122,000 in Indian Lakes? I know they can be. I'm in the business and have looked at them as recently as 2 days ago. My land cost is not "off". These builders that are actually paying $140 to $150 a foot to build a home do not have control of their subs and they are probably not good businessmen. I know several established builders that are making really good money on their builds and are still building homes for $95 to $105 a foot construction only. I'm not a realtor, but I am in the construction business locally. I'm not just shooting from the hip here. I'm also not wishing any ill will on any builder that makes as much margin as they can on a home. It's supply and demand and it is capitalism.
txgardengirl
Ok, $35/sf makes more sense - I read your original as $35k per lot.

New construction is more than existing always and existing homes are running high as well due to lack of inventory. Edelweiss is even running at 125/130/sf and some of those need updating! Pebble existing homes are closing at $130-170 condition dependent.

List something under $250 that looks good and it's gone in a day.

Market appreciation is huge right now.

I'm not in construction but am in real estate and very familiar with development trends.

Some may be making big money but I closed one that was in the $800k range and after all subs and interest was paid the builder walked with under $50 for a years work - it was a custom.

Until we get big city type developers in that can turn dirt and meet all the guidelines on tighter budgets, we have this market.
RafterAg223
AG
I don't disagree that their are builders that are making somewhat slim margins even at these prices. But there are quite a few very established ones out there who have gotten really aggressive in the subcontractor market, us included. We are 80% commercial, but we use a lot of the same subs as the residential guys. If subs around here don't want to play ball at a reasonable level, we go find ones that will in markets like Houston. Being budget conscious and shopping around does pay dividends in a pretty big way. There is a lot of money to be saved when you start looking around at concrete, framing labor, drywall etc. And there is no sacrifice in quality if you pick the right ones.

We have a new individual coming in to our company that is looking for a ~3500 to ~3600 foot home in the $610k range max. After running comps at $180 to $197 a foot on recent sold listings, we decided he can buy a lot in IL and we will build him the exact same product all in at ~$530,000, lot included. This will include foam insulation, quality hand scraped flooring, trane HVAC system, double stage crown molding, premium vinyl low-e windows, commercial grade appliances, built in outdoor kitchen space on the patio, and everything else you are seeing on most of these builder spec homes.
vwbug
RafterAg223 said:

I don't disagree that their are builders that are making somewhat slim margins even at these prices. But there are quite a few very established ones out there who have gotten really aggressive in the subcontractor market, us included. We are 80% commercial, but we use a lot of the same subs as the residential guys. If subs around here don't want to play ball at a reasonable level, we go find ones that will in markets like Houston. Being budget conscious and shopping around does pay dividends in a pretty big way. There is a lot of money to be saved when you start looking around at concrete, framing labor, drywall etc. And there is no sacrifice in quality if you pick the right ones.

We have a new individual coming in to our company that is looking for a ~3500 to ~3600 foot home in the $610k range max. After running comps at $180 to $197 a foot on recent sold listings, we decided he can buy a lot in IL and we will build him the exact same product all in at ~$530,000, lot included. This will include foam insulation, quality hand scraped flooring, trane HVAC system, double stage crown molding, premium vinyl low-e windows, commercial grade appliances, built in outdoor kitchen space on the patio, and everything else you are seeing on most of these builder spec homes.
All of that for $530K and the lot? Sounds like a great deal!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.