University & 2818 intersection

15,863 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cadetjay02
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The problem could be solved by moving the left turns from 2818 onto 60 to side of the bridge and doing away with the left turns at the top of the ramps. Want to go west on 60? Go under the bridge, turn left and merge into 60 at the top of the ramp.
This could be done with 4 separate stop lights...1 at each left turn for oncoming traffic. Each light would only have to stop traffic for left turns, and could maintain a better flow with the caution arrow between protected arrows.
It would require lengthening the merge lane from 2818 onto 60 east.
75AG
AG
But in typical TXDoT fashion, that option would cost tens of millions less, and only a few weeks of construction. Can't have that.
KMacDaddy
AG
CS78 said:

75AG said:

Except WHY IS IT NECESSARY???
So the traffic engineers, TXDOT, city planners, I'm sure TEEX, and some other important people can all say "look at our cool new super special intersection everyone" "We are the innovative leaders of progressive traffic design". Meanwhile ignoring the total disaster a mile down the road at Holleman/ 2818. Funny how there's no money for that cluster but there's money for this. Yes I drive both intersections at peak times and Stotzer/ 2818 is not near as bad.

Only problem with this explanation is that TEEX is not involved in designing intersections or roadway engineering. Perhaps accurate research might involve the Texas Transportation Institute.
LOYAL AG
AG
Stucco said:

LOYAL AG said:

PS3D said:

LOYAL AG said:

If you've been through the interchange at HWY 21 and I-35 in San Marcos this is similar to what they did there and it's worked extremely well. The DDI website (yes an interchange design has it's own website) doesn't list that interchange I'm guessing because they didn't do it completely but that's the design from west bound 82 onto south bound 35 and into town.
The Hwy. 21/I-35 interchange isn't listed because it's a continuous flow intersection, not a DDI. It's similar, but in a CFI, the left hand turn lane is the one that crosses over, whereas the DDI it's the main lanes that cross over.

Interesting and good to know. I knew it wasn't identical but it looked similar. I do know that what they did there is significantly better than what was here.
I think the reason it works well there is 90% of the traffic on 21/80 is turning on 35. It speeds up left turns, so it makes sense there. Unfortunately, it is not the same for 60. A much higher percentage of traffic proceeds straight into town rather than turning on 2818.

I predict the traffic jam moves from left turn lanes to the stretch of 60 coming into town just before the intersection. Everyone coming in on 47 is going to start using 2154 to get to 2818 instead of 60.
That may be true but from the perspective of someone that regularly turns west onto University from north bound 2818 this is a significant improvement. During busy times it's quite often almost impossible to acutally get into the turn lane because the folks turning left to go west and the folks turning left to go east from opposite ends of 2818 have filled the center lane to the point where they almost touch. I'd rather traffic back up at a light on the west and east sides of the overpass than in the middle of 2818. My $.02.
Tailgate88
AG
Here's what it will look like when it's done:

TexasAggie_02
AG
previous page
marrocco
LOYAL AG said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

lol, TxDOT knows BCS drivers all too well

At 4:15 there's a white car that turns left from onto George Bush from the right turn lane into the left lane on Bush.
Houston driver.
redd38
AG
PS3D said:

redd38 said:

PS3D said:

There's a comment here about the same types of people who thinks College Station deserves better restaurants and all that but freaks out about "no one understanding" a spiffy new traffic control system, but I'm not witty enough to think of one.

Are these better restaurants going to require you to eat in a way contrary to everything you've learned and experienced as an eater? Cause if a restaurant wants me to shove the food up my butt or something then it's probably going to get as many complaints as an intersecting that makes you drive on the left side of the road.

These intersections usually are clearly designated with good signage. I hope you're being entirely sarcastic and not being genuinely too stupid to follow directions.

Just like the double turn lanes? Or right turns that have their own lane? Or one way streets on campus? Or the ramps at University & Wellborn? Or any of the other unusual road features that are clearly designated with good signage that people constantly screw up? You're right, they'll probably be able to handle this one just fine.
PS3D
redd38 said:

PS3D said:

redd38 said:

PS3D said:

There's a comment here about the same types of people who thinks College Station deserves better restaurants and all that but freaks out about "no one understanding" a spiffy new traffic control system, but I'm not witty enough to think of one.

Are these better restaurants going to require you to eat in a way contrary to everything you've learned and experienced as an eater? Cause if a restaurant wants me to shove the food up my butt or something then it's probably going to get as many complaints as an intersecting that makes you drive on the left side of the road.

These intersections usually are clearly designated with good signage. I hope you're being entirely sarcastic and not being genuinely too stupid to follow directions.

Just like the double turn lanes? Or right turns that have their own lane? Or one way streets on campus? Or the ramps at University & Wellborn? Or any of the other unusual road features that are clearly designated with good signage that people constantly screw up? You're right, they'll probably be able to handle this one just fine.
If you're arguing people will screw it up, no system is foolproof and everyone knows it.
If you're arguing against things like double turn lanes because people sometimes screw it up, then I don't know what to say to you. But given that people in this thread are offering things like partial cloverleafs or putting stoplights on 2818 as a "better alternative" I'm not really sure what to believe.

It would be hilarious if Holleman/2818 became a continuous flow intersection and everyone came on here and whined why it couldn't be a traditional intersection, despite the fact that it would help the terrible problems around that intersection.
etmydst
AG
PS3D said:

It would be hilarious if Holleman/2818 became a continuous flow intersection and everyone came on here and whined why it couldn't be a traditional intersection, despite the fact that it would help the terrible problems around that intersection.

CharlieBrown17
AG
The intersection like this at 35 and 1431 in Round Rock is pretty sweet, well signed and had minimal issues when it opened. That intersection moves way better now.
CS78
KMacDaddy said:

Only problem with this explanation is that TEEX is not involved in designing intersections or roadway engineering. Perhaps accurate research might involve the Texas Transportation Institute.

My apologies. TEEX/TTI, too many letters to remember sometimes. It's corrected.
rocketscience
AG
https://www.bwx-bcs.org
momlaw
AG
Thank you. Extremely informative regarding construction and development of roadways in the area.
SCHTICK00
AG
threecatcorner said:

public hearing conveniently timed for just after spring graduation so all students who aren't here year-round will have already left town for the summer

Students are only here for four years and then they're gone. They should get no say.
CDub06
AG
But that intersection has a huge impact on the student population. Plus, if they're here during the construction, they'll be inconvenienced just as you are - they just won't get to reap the benefits after construction is complete.
fourth deck
AG
CDub06 said:

But that intersection has a huge impact on the student population. Plus, if they're here during the construction, they'll be inconvenienced just as you are - they just won't get to reap the benefits after construction is complete.
Isn't that called getting Murano'd?
cadetjay02
AG
There is one of these intersections near me in The Colony, north of Dallas. It is at Nebraska Furniture Mart and one of our many tollways. The intersection works fine and it's not confusing at at all, just different.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.